JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What type of firearm is best to teach the little ones on?
My grandpa showed me a single shot .22. I can't tell you how many rounds went through that rifle. Having to reload every single one. I see why and I can't think of a better one. What did you learn on? and what age?

What type of firearm is best to teach the little ones on?
My grandpa showed me a single shot .22. I can't tell you how many rounds went through that rifle. Having to reload every single one. I see why and I can't think of a better one. What did you learn on? and what age?
1911, 19 years old Navy Boot camp 1975.

My first experience was a 12ga at the age of 13. My Dad said that I was big enough to start out there, as I was already 6 feet tall. I think he was trying to discourage me but I got hooked on recoil right then and there. Not the best for everyone but that's what did it for me. I have got all my kids single shot Cricket's for their first guns and they have become hooked as well. They are my enablers now :( Welcome to our great forum!

Welcome to the board. I see you've been sort of lurking a few months, so you probably know already what a fun-lovin' and sometimes sarcastic crowd hangs out here. Mostly though, it's a helpful bunch with a wealth of experience and knowledge available to you.

Reaching back to the early 1950s for an answer to your question, I was maybe 8 or 9 when I first learned to shoot a firearm; that gun was my grandpa's German single- shot 22. By age 12, I was allowed to to carry it in the woods when we went rabbit & squirrel hunting. That little rifle was just like the Deutsche Werk Model 1 breech-loader pictured below.

12683635_09_deutsche_werke_model_1_breech__640-483198711.jpg Deutsche Werke Model 1 Breech Loading .22 LR Single Shot.jpg

I firmly believe in single shots.
They promote economy, patience, accuracy, responsibility, not to mention financial responsibility if ultimately required to earn their own fodder for it.
Most importantly, after a reasonable amount of supervision and shown able to be turned loose, trust and respect between mentor and student.
You can't force or buy that stuff.

BB gun for little little kids, then once they have displayed proper gun handling safety I'd graduate to the: Keystone line of firearms and pistols. They use names like cricket and chipmunk.

Buds (and I think Classic) last time I checked have the best prices and at one point availability. They go in and out of stock due to how Keystone does batches of things.

Back to the firearms: All single shot, all can be loaded one shot at a time, however loading does not cock it, you need a second action to make it ready to fire by pulling the cocking knob.

They are an incredibly safe platform for kids annd beginners. The single shot design paces shooting and gives a better appreciation for ammo dispensing as well as firearm manipulation.

The other great part, the rifles are insanely affordable (for the basic base models), their single shot pistols are as well. Of course they have more expensive models.. but the youth models are perfect for beginners.

I learned on a Stevens falling block action single shot 22. My grandfather's first gun, my fathers first gun, my first gun, my son's first gun, and my grandson's first gun. priceless.

Winchester 67A Boy's Rifle. At age six, my father would hand me cartridges ONLY one at a time, and they were .22 Shorts. He told me that was because if I made a mistake and shot him, he could beat the hell outta me before he died.

Another "safety feature" on this little single shot was that you have to pull the cocking piece to the rear after closing the bolt in order to cock the gun. The spring is too stout for a six year-old, so Dad had to cock the rifle for me as well.

Before too long at all, I was feeding the family with Cottontails and awfully proud of doing so.

I don't think there is any argument that can be given that a single shot bolt action isn't the best beginners tool for young shooters. Also to consider though... firearm selection also has to be age, interest and intended goal/use specific. Remembering that while the goal is to teach safety and fundamentals, but also to engage and maintain their interest.

Myself and my children all started with single shot between 6 and 8yrs old. Well... BB rifles typically at 4 or 5yrs old, but talking cartridge firearms.. 6-8yrs old. Once fundamentals were established though, quickly moving to a multi shot lever... typically by 7-9yrs old. Every child is a little different.

That said, our family traditions center around the outdoors, hunting and impromptu target shooting. Teaching a child to stalk through the woods and providing impromptu off hand shooting opportunities... and use of natural braces of opportunity... handling small 22's one at a time loading a single shot bolt isn't very appropriate in that case.

If you make the process tedious or frustrating they may quickly loose interest.

In our situation though, I do have an ultimate goal and a fixed timeline from day one. For them to have a solid foundation, necessary experience and transitioning steadily toward larger caliber firearms. Their first larger game hunt is at 12yrs old, they need to be prepared and... fully trustworthy.👍

On the other hand... If precision target shooting on an established range is more their forte... a single shot bolt action is likely going to be more appropriate for more years to come. KWIM?

bb gun was first ,
then Mom's .22 after that Dad's 12 GA
I still have that 22 its an old Marlin/Glenfield built before serial numbers were stamped on rifles
I started both my kids years ago with a Ruger 10/22 guessing they were 8 or 9 years old

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top