Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Head Shot is a NEWBIE (y) And wants to reload a 22 mag case

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Head Shot, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Head Shot

Head Shot North West Iowa New Member

Hello:
    Im new here and was reading a post on reloading the 22 long rifle.
    Yeah I know - WHY ?
    Just cuz I wanted to try and see if I could is the reason.
    Im actualy wanting to try and reload a spent 22 mag case so im investigating on how to make the primer mix to spin the case for it to spread evenly into rim ect.
    Have the modified 25 acp shell holder to use with the 22 mag case and a 22 hornet seating die for the cast molded 50 gr spire .225 dia bullet.
    So im on a mission for fun just to try it out.
    That's me Head Shot

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Welcome o NWF from the sunny and warm (for January) Oregon Coast!! Very interested in this also, just for general knowledge. :thumbup:

3. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

Welcome to the forum sounds like one hell of a project!

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

What happens if the firing pin hits the previous point of impact?

5. Head Shot

Hello:
    Well if it happens to hit on the old impact pt it might go off since new prime or it wont.
    So yes i thought on that too and figured if reloading youd have to put case in to hit a new spot.
    Or as i found in another post you put a punch in and reform the old impact then reprime with mix.
    I was going to try this reloading of a 22 mag for some experience to see if it could be done.
    So wasnt going to reform old pin impact with a small punch.
    Head Shot

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Head Shot

Hello:
    Forgot to mention Vihtori powder co does make a powder for the 22 rim fire and other rim fire cases that are primed and its Vit 3N37 .
    I was told in another forum on this and went to the Vitori webb site and yes thats what they said it was designed for.
    Qeusing it was for factory use but its available to us reloaders too so no problem on the powder to use in doing this.
    For got the powder chg wt but it was given too for a 40 and 50 gr slug.
    Gotta keep the psi below 23000 per the info.
    They said to keep primer mixture at bottom of case and try not to over prime or smear inside case as in painted to keep burn rate consistent and that would help keep psi consistent as well.
    Plenty of info on this on web but want an easy mix for the prime stuff.
    I did find a site that says boil household bleach till it statrs to crystalize then mix in potassium sulfate ( salt substitute) till no more would disolve into bleach then filter mix through a coffee filter and use the stuff the filter catches for the prime stuff.
    Says it very reliable primer mix but corosive on bbl.
    So wanted something easier and hopefully non corosive.
    Anyone know of another mixture for primer compound ?
    Thanx Head Shot