JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, it's nice to be here. I shot a gun for the first time 2 months ago in a handgun saftey class that I took with my wife. We are both in our 40s and recently bought our first house and took the class to see if a gun would be something we would be comfortable having in the house for protection. We both had a a lot of fun at the class and since then we've gotten an M&P 9c 1.0 that a friend gifted to us, and I bought a LEO trade-in gen 4 Glock 22 for myself and a new Glock 45 for my wife.

We have been going to the range every weekend to work on our shooting skills and have applied for CHLs with our local Sherrif's office. I plan to carry the 9c and keep the g22 for home defense. I am also eyeing a g43x. I am going to shoot one this weekend to see if I like it better than the 9c.

I have already learned so much from this forum over the past few weeks and I figured I'd join in on the conversation. Thanks for having me.

Well done. I'm glad to see you appreciate and handle the whole thing the way you are. Doing it all the right way. Good for you. Welcome to the world. I am a glock guy myself so I hope you like the 43. My back up carry is a 43. Also congrats on the new house.

welcome to the most informative and fun site I know. keep sharing and asking questions, we love responsible handlers of firearms. we even have people that have been here so long they still shoot muzzle loaders!

Welcome to the greatest firearms forum on the inter webs! You've been reading and probably already have a feel for the cantankerous old guy crowd.

Welcome to the world of firearms and self protection. You are well on your way, smart to receive training and understand the responsibilities of responsible firearm ownership.

Welcome aboard! Getting proper training is the right way to get started. Don't forget that there is a lot more to guns than self defense though. You always have to be safe, but take some time to try out other types of firearms and spend time doing target shooting that isn't just about self defense. 22 rifles are great fun for reasonable amounts of money. Revolvers, lever actions, various shotguns, and even black powder all have different appeals and expand your knowledge and appreciation of firearms.

There are several channels on youtube that do gun reviews and cover different types, but the one I'm most partial to is a guy that goes by the moniker "hickok45": https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45 He was previously a teacher and covers a lot of firearms history and tries out many different guns over the course of a couple thousand videos. The only note is his reviews are overly positive as he tends to love every gun. Just one of many examples of how gun ownership doesn't have to be just about self defense.

One last note. Get a good safe for storage of your newly acquired guns. Not because the government says you have to but because its a good way to keep any smaller hands off of them and make it a bit harder for some unscrupulous person to take them from you. Go over lots of reviews before you buy. A lot of safes are easily defeated, even by children, and are not worth the money.

Enjoy and welcome to the wide world of guns!

44c616acc8c70f1eab24b84d89ec771f.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Welcome aboard! Getting proper training is the right way to get started. Don't forget that there is a lot more to guns than self defense though. You always have to be safe, but take some time to try out other types of firearms and spend time doing target shooting that isn't just about self defense. 22 rifles are great fun for reasonable amounts of money. Revolvers, lever actions, various shotguns, and even black powder all have different appeals and expand your knowledge and appreciation of firearms.

There are several channels on youtube that do gun reviews and cover different types, but the one I'm most partial to is a guy that goes by the moniker "hickok45": https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45 He was previously a teacher and covers a lot of firearms history and tries out many different guns over the course of a couple thousand videos. The only note is his reviews are overly positive as he tends to love every gun. Just one of many examples of how gun ownership doesn't have to be just about self defense.

One last note. Get a good safe for storage of your newly acquired guns. Not because the government says you have to but because its a good way to keep any smaller hands off of them and make it a bit harder for some unscrupulous person to take them from you. Go over lots of reviews before you buy. A lot of safes are easily defeated, even by children, and are not worth the money.

Enjoy and welcome to the wide world of guns!
Thanks! I have been watching a lot of Hickok45 videos; he's great! For my next firearm I would like to get an AR. One of the guys at my range was showing me his 300Blackout AR pistol and telling me about how he built it. That sounds pretty fun!

And thank you for the suggestion about the safe. My wife and I don't have any children in the home so I'm not so worried about that, but we did buy a couple of those cheaper lockboxes with the security cable that we hide around the house when we aren't home. We have a security system and REALLY loud alarms so I'd hope if someone did break in they wouldn't stick around too long.

Thanks! I have been watching a lot of Hickok45 videos; he's great! For my next firearm I would like to get an AR. One of the guys at my range was showing me his 300Blackout AR pistol and telling me about how he built it. That sounds pretty fun!

And thank you for the suggestion about the safe. My wife and I don't have any children in the home so I'm not so worried about that, but we did buy a couple of those cheaper lockboxes with the security cable that we hide around the house when we aren't home. We have a security system and REALLY loud alarms so I'd hope if someone did break in they wouldn't stick around too long.
Get your AR's sooner rather than later, and don't forget magazines and spare parts. The political climate is leaning strongly to a ban on all skeery looking semiautomatics and mags greater than ten round capacity. If you get them now they will be grandfathered. Make sure the mags you get are durable and reliable since replacing them will become an out of state trip.

Hate to be a downer, but don't want you to miss out.

A shop I like to frequent is Curts on McLoughlin Blvd. When I was building they were competitive with online sellers but no shipping. If you decide to reload and go the Dillon route you can order through them for the same price Dillon charges directly but no shipping charges and won't have to worry about porch pirates.

Also, make sure that you can find ammo for whatever you buy and be prepared to pay, at least for now, stiff prices. You might consider one lower and different uppers, but you can't switch the lower between a rifle and pistol stock. Once you put one on a new lower that's what it must be from then on. If you bought it as a rifle, it's a crime to place a pistol stock on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top