JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not that it's not possible that Nazi skinheads could provide accurate information, but I personally refuse to go to white supremacist websites for info. Stormfront is a racist organization and I don't think it is appropriate to link to their site from this forum. I hope it was a google search that led you to this group and not because you have an affiliation with this group.

I just went back to the website to see what you were talking about. I had no idea! No, I'm not a member. Just found it through a Google search. I'm not even white. :D

Normally I skip over signatures, but I read some of them just now. Disgusting to say the least... Sorry about the link.

EDIT: I have removed the link from my post. If you and Gunner would remove yours as well, I'd appreciate. Thanks

Not that it's not possible that Nazi skinheads could provide accurate information, but I personally refuse to go to white supremacist websites for info. Stormfront is a racist organization and I don't think it is appropriate to link to their site from this forum. I hope it was a google search that led you to this group and not because you have an affiliation with this group.

I also hope that they're all planning on using .22lr for self-defense... :s0131:

Nothing that group does with firearms is going to help our cause. They do the kind of stuff that causes Assault Weapon bans and "common sense gun control" bills to be introduced.

I'll bet you drive a Yugo. :D :D :D

Nope, big eight cylinder 4X4 for a long long time :winkkiss: I would consider it however if I could get a rocket launcher for a Yugo :)

When I lived in the Denver area in the middle 1980's, some of the guards at the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant were armed with select-fire Ruger 10/22's. They were concerned with over-penetration in parts of the plant area so opted for 22 long rifle cartridges and the Ruger. No kidding. I really think there are a whole lot of excellent 22 rimfire rifles out there but agree they should not normally be selected as a self-defense arm. The 10/22 is an inexpensive (to buy and shoot) and fun toy that has a lot of "tacticool" stuff to buy for it. I just don't think they are as bad as you make them out to be. They have been around for a long time and Ruger wouldn't still be selling them if they were junkers.

Nope, big eight cylinder 4X4 for a long long time :winkkiss: I would consider it however if I could get a rocket launcher for a Yugo :)

When I lived in the Denver area in the middle 1980's, some of the guards at the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant were armed with select-fire Ruger 10/22's. They were concerned with over-penetration in parts of the plant area so opted for 22 long rifle cartridges and the Ruger. No kidding. I really think there are a whole lot of excellent 22 rimfire rifles out there but agree they should not normally be selected as a self-defense arm. The 10/22 is an inexpensive (to buy and shoot) and fun toy that has a lot of "tacticool" stuff to buy for it. I just don't think they are as bad as you make them out to be. They have been around for a long time and Ruger wouldn't still be selling them if they were junkers.

Ruger has been making the 10/22 since the mid 60's and they've made more than 6 million of them. The only .22 to out sell it is the Marlin 60. There are about 11 million of those out there, made since 1960 and you can still get one on sale at Bi-Mart for $129. They aren't tacticool though. :)

So, agreed, the 10/22 can't be all bad. About tacticool, I know a guy who has $1,000 in a 10/22 including optics. I would opt for the Sig 522 ($450 on sale) and a decent ($200?) optic. I actually want one of those Sigs.

I think one of the reasons I make fun of the 10/22 is that some guys get so much money tied up in them. As an aside, I was over at my Dad's the other day and we decided to look at his guns. He has a 10/22 from the mid 70's he bought new on a whim and I didn't even know he had it. I don't think he's even fired it. It's just wood and blue, but very nice and "pre plastic."

I like the .22 for defense. The reason is penetration. .22 goes deeper than 9mm and does even better out of a rifle. Follow up shots are very quick and the lack of recoil means followup shots are easier than anything else. .17HMR is not in the same category. The bullets are too light to penetrate deeply like a 40 grain .22LR. It's the same reason that I would want an American 180 if I ever found myself in a position to get into full-auto. You can keep them on target and not just waste ammo.

So I been tole.

If you can't handle recoil, recover for a quick second shot, or have weak hands, like an elderly person or frail woman, the .22LR is a good alternative to having no defense at all.

That 40 foot-pounds of energy is nothing to sneeze at. You can test the effect by laying down on the floor, and having someone drop a 4 pound weight from a 10 foot ladder on your chest. Or a 10 pound rock from a 4 foot ladder. Then let us know how frisky you feel afterwards.

When I didn't want a full-sized .45 or .38, I used to carry a TP22, nice little pocket gun. My 'strategy' was to empty the magazine in an assailant's face, then see if that calmed him down.

My biggest complaint with a .22lr for self-defense is that the risk of a misfire or "dud" is greater in a rimfire than in a centerfire cartridge.
A .22lr will work , but there are much better choices available.
Andy

Back in Sequim there was a lot of older gals who just couldn't shoot much other than a 22lr.
And with a nicer handgun,you can empty a magazine in a bad guy pretty fast and on target.

I'll have to go find the video,but actually the 22 pistol penetrates better than the rifle but the rifle gets better expansion,in ballistic gel.

I agree that a well made .22lr revolver or pistol with dependable ammo , CCI Mini-Mags come to mind , will do wonders to change someone's harmful intent.
If that is all you can handle then shoot well and often , till it becomes second nature.
Its just that you need to take the time and trouble to see what feeds best in your rimfire and with .22lr being hard to get in some areas , you might not have your chosen load available at all times.
.22lr's can be picky about what feeds and works , more so than most centerfire cartridges so that and the higher rate of failure to fire with rimfires makes me slow to suggest one for self-defense.
Be that as it may , any gun and the will and ability to use it well , is better than hash words and a prayer when it comes to stopping someone's evil intent.
Andy

Well,now that I think about it,I would say a revolver in 22lr would have to be the best choice*. I mean if there is a miss fire with a semi auto,you have to have the ability to think about clearing it.
With one of those 9 shot revolvers you can keep pulling the trigger and get past it.
And yes,there is speed loaders for them
Yeah,you can shoot all day long with 1 brand of 22 and never have a problem. Then tomorrow you have a few miss fires. Not what you want with a carry gun

* best choice for a 22lr that is:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads