JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Other than a very large pissed off tom cougar in the dark only 40 feet away while taking a leak it was a total bust.

I had stepped away from the fire to take a leak. Saw eyeballs in my headlamp. Not deer eyes. Bear, I thought. I advanced. Suddenly the eyes went from a whitish blue to a bright orange-yellow. I said to my brother, " Weird eyes, something large. Gonna check 'em out."

I advanced and the eyes backed straight up for about 20 feet into some saplings down by the old shack. I walked boldly forward. The eyes then began to move forwards toward me.

Well, my S&W Model 57 N frame in 41 mag found its way into my hand.

I took another couple of steps. The eyes turned to my right and from between 2 trees out walked a very large cougar, flicking his tail like a very pissed off kitty cat. Ears folded back, he walked broadside to me not more than 40 feet away. Muscles were rippling in his right shoulder. Gave me a look that caused me to stop in my tracks.

I had about 3 seconds to realize that 1- it was a cat, 2- I had a tag, 3- I have a good shot, 4- it was darker than heck and 5 - what the hell do I do if I only wound him?

He glanced my way as I stood there as solid as a quivering tower of Jello and disappeared behind the shed.

For some reason, I did not throw all caution to the winds and follow him around the corner of the old shed.

It was a long backwards walk for a 150 feet back to the campfire.

2 shots of whiskey later and I began to calm down... a bit.

So, how did you fellers do?

Wow,, crazy ..maybe that kitty wanted some treats?.... LOL... i went to meet and camp with a hunting party last weekend, My sister was there she murdered an elk. I think they got 2 out of a party of 4 tags. it was in the 20's at night camping, but i slept like a baby.

Other than a very large pissed off tom cougar in the dark only 40 feet away while taking a leak it was a total bust.

I had stepped away from the fire to take a leak. Saw eyeballs in my headlamp. Not deer eyes. Bear, I thought. I advanced. Suddenly the eyes went from a whitish blue to a bright orange-yellow. I said to my brother, " Weird eyes, something large. Gonna check 'em out."

I advanced and the eyes backed straight up for about 20 feet into some saplings down by the old shack. I walked boldly forward. The eyes then began to move forwards toward me.

Well, my S&W Model 57 N frame in 41 mag found its way into my hand.

I took another couple of steps. The eyes turned to my right and from between 2 trees out walked a very large cougar, flicking his tail like a very pissed off kitty cat. Ears folded back, he walked broadside to me not more than 40 feet away. Muscles were rippling in his right shoulder. Gave me a look that caused me to stop in my tracks.

I had about 3 seconds to realize that 1- it was a cat, 2- I had a tag, 3- I have a good shot, 4- it was darker than heck and 5 - what the hell do I do if I only wound him?

He glanced my way as I stood there as solid as a quivering tower of Jello and disappeared behind the shed.

For some reason, I did not throw all caution to the winds and follow him around the corner of the old shed.

It was a long backwards walk for a 150 feet back to the campfire.

2 shots of whiskey later and I began to calm down... a bit.

So, how did you fellers do?
:s0135:

I missed a couple of opportunities on small bucks this year, but my wife got a little forkie on the last day. At least we have some meat in the freezer.

You didn't get skunked! You got to hang out with me and take a nice hike across some unmentionable terrain. :D
I've had some interesting experiences when hunting that made the time worthwhile even if I didn't shoot anything. When Dad decided that he was interested in hunting elk again in the late '90's I jumped all over the chance. For several years our vacation was planned around elk hunting with Dad. Can't do that anymore. I've been so close to deer and elk I could almost touch them. Had birds use my rifle barrel for a perch. Squirrels running over my feet. Just two weeks ago I had a Red Tailed Hawk coming in to land on my treestand when he saw me and changed direction. We won't talk about the little buck disturbing my nap earlier this season...
It's a good thing for times and memories like those, cuz coming home soaked and otherwise empty handed does get a little old at times.

Did it look like this?
Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews