JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You get to a gate before me and I respect that as part of the hunting code and will find another place to hunt. If you are camped at a trailhead or gate with clear intentions to block/discourage others use, I will go and park a safe distance away and walk right through and conduct my hunt as planned.
This. ^^^

I have arrived at my favorite starting spot (trail not a gate) in the Coast Range - Saddle Mtn and found a tent planted, even though it was'0 dark thirty' When I got there. Well they got there first so I moved on. Second spot two trucks parked at the gate. Moved on again even though I could have parked too. Found a new spot. Good sign and some action but I never got close enough for a shot. I'm mostly an archery hunter. When I arrive and another hunter is coming or is unpacking I'll ask where they plan to go and offer to take a different route. On only one occasion did a hunter get pissy about me being there even though we were there at the same time. I wished him luck and walked on.

Last Edited:
So... This brings to mind the question, what is the etiquette in Oregon related to setting up camp on a sidewalk. Asking for a friend, Not. :s0140:

If my party came through you'd be rudely thrown out.

There's zero reason to ever block a forest use gate unless you're looking for an altercation. At any time of the year.

Forest use workers can use them anytime. Don't block them in or out.

Don't block gates or roads etc....
When you park or camp....make sure you leave room for others to pass , turn around and the like.

Also worth considering...
Noise and light discipline when in camp.
Yes have fun...but be quiet about it...others may be out hunting.
Along those lines :
Bury your sh!t and TP....and pack out yer garbage.
Andy

Maybe it was a one handed homeless security guard camping on duty.

1711203611309.jpeg

Don't block gates or roads etc....
When you park or camp....make sure you leave room for others to pass , turn around and the like.

Also worth considering...
Noise and light discipline when in camp.
Yes have fun...but be quiet about it...others may be out hunting.
Along those lines :
Andy
I thought that was all common sense.....it shouldn't need to be said, but unfortunately you always run in to that group that left common sense at home

Last Edited:
I thought that was all common sense.....it shouldn't need to be said, but unfortunately you always run in to that ground that left common sense at home
Where I hunt is public land.....it gets lots of use , which is good...but also a double edged sword.
Unfortunately that means lots of use...and garbage left behind.

I have heard loud radios playing during hunting season....off roaders of various types flying by and now and then giving dirty looks at hunters...
Hell...I have almost been run over a time or two , by so-called hunters flying by in their trucks.

What is supposed to be common sense , sure ain't.
Andy

Where I hunt is public land.....it gets lots of use , which is good...but also a double edged sword.
Unfortunately that means lots of use...and garbage left behind.

I have heard loud radios playing during hunting season....off roaders of various types flying by and now and then giving dirty looks at hunters...
Hell...I have almost been run over a time or two , by so-called hunters flying by in their trucks.

Andy
I didn't realize it was that bad, for blacktail I hunt all private land. Elk hunting we set up a big camp over east and typically don't encounter idiots, about once every 3 years we find a group of turds playing hunter. (Typically portland folks)

I didn't realize it was that bad, for blacktail I hunt all private land. Elk hunting we set up a big camp over east and typically don't encounter idiots, about once every 3 years we find a group of turds playing hunter. (Typically portland folks)

Surprised face>>>>>>>>> 1711205780387.png

In general, i avoid people on public lands.
I agree. Partially because of this...
Andy
Common sense is super rare these days.

I parked my truck on the side of the road and was preparing to head downhill. There were no other rigs any where near that I could see. Then from below someone screams, "Don't shoot, I'm hunting down here!"

And I thought, not any more you aren't, and neither am I.

And I thought, not any more you aren't, and neither am I.
Maybe he was hunting mushrooms? Not the funny ones, but chanterelles and such. We go out there during hunting season. With lots of hunter orange on. Mushrooms don't see color either. ;)

I have private property where I hunt deer. At each gate is a No Trespassing sign. About once a year I have to leave a nastygram on the windshield of a truck blocking one of my gates. I don't care how entitled one feels, nobody is entitled to restrict my freedom of use of my own property. At least I've not had to use my tractor to move one of these gate blockers yet.
If I was going to camp there, it would be inside of the gate. Why wouldn't I?

@Koda , I understand why someone would think that by blocking the gate that they get "dibs" on a hunting area, but I'm always astounded by what thought process they must use to think their actions are acceptable.

Maybe he was hunting mushrooms? Not the funny ones, but chanterelles and such. We go out there during hunting season. With lots of hunter orange on. Mushrooms don't see color either. ;)
Often there are mushroom pickers in the area, but I'm pretty sure the guy came from a camp, one that blocked an entrance to a gated road, by the way, a 1/2 mile or so back down the road. I was actually surprised someone from that camp ventured that far. He must have gotten lost.

One year I ran into some mushroom hunters who were lost....they were also not dressed for the wet , chilly weather.
I had 'em follow me back to my hunting camp and got 'em warmed up with a fire along with some coffee...tea and a hot meal.

One of them , seemed genuinely surprised that I had a rifle...and was nice.
I don't remember what I said...other than the general terms of
"Well I am hunting...it is hunting season...and most hunters are nice."
Andy

@Koda , I understand why someone would think that by blocking the gate that they get "dibs" on a hunting area, but I'm always astounded by what thought process they must use to think their actions are acceptable.
There is an unwritten etiquette "rule" when hunting gated/closed roads on public lands and thats if you pull up and find another truck (hunters) already there you move on and let them have their space. I don't know how that works for very large gated areas that could easily accommodate more than one party, or what "party size" is acceptable though but I always move on to find another spot anyways out of respect.

Been hunting public lands all my life and never have a problem having multiple hunts to check out in any area that I know have game. My guess is the issue with other [public land] hunters that don't believe in this etiquette comes from their lack of imagination on where to hunt. Ive learned there are many hunters that believe somehow that gated roads are somehow better hunting and seek those spots out, (rather than wonder where the game go when the hunters arrive) so my guess is their motivation to block or camp at gates is out of frustration of not getting their first or not wanting others to hunt there in their absence.

As far as blocking gates on private land thats plain ignorance on a criminal level.

Where I have hunted in Eastern Oregon since the 70's there were literally hundreds of short roads ( 1 to six miles long ), with short spurs etc. many connecting to one another over a 17 mile stretch, i still have maps to prove it. Now there is one main 17 mile long road through, less than a half a dozen short roads down a few ridges, and almost no spurring off them even a short way. Most don't even have a place wide enough to turn around let alone camp. And I have maps to prove that also albeit I had to buy new ones not only because of all the road closures, but they completely revamped the road numbering / labeling system.
While finding a camp spot is now nearly impossible unless you get there four or five days early, at least when I was young, I could travers the wilderness to hunt on foot just fine, but now that I can barely walk, finding a place to set up camp and my lawn chair without eating road dust of the many dang road hunters constantly going by all day and half the night is nearly impossible.
Thank you Oregon for the welcoming access to my public lands and for adopting the ubiquitous greedy attitude of "if you don't pay, you don't play" attitude.
Still, you won't see me camped there, but Its a small wonder why we're finding folks camped at the end of roads now a days.

Along those lines :
I always find unburied bubblegum and tp all the time during every hunting season, its disgusting and often right in the middle of game trails. I swear that most hunters are completely ignorant of Leave No Trace ethics, and if you mention it to someone they get offended and angry at you. Whats ironic is their human scent left behind like that deters game from that spot.

Where I have hunted in Eastern Oregon since the 70's there were literally hundreds of short roads ( 1 to six miles long ), with short spurs etc. many connecting to one another over a 17 mile stretch, i still have maps to prove it. Now there is one main 17 mile long road through, less than a half a dozen short roads down a few ridges, and almost no spurring off them even a short way. Most don't even have a place wide enough to turn around let alone camp. And I have maps to prove that also albeit I had to buy new ones not only because of all the road closures, but they completely revamped the road numbering / labeling system.
While finding a camp spot is now nearly impossible unless you get there four or five days early, at least when I was young, I could travers the wilderness to hunt on foot just fine, but now that I can barely walk, finding a place to set up camp and my lawn chair without eating road dust of the many dang road hunters constantly going by all day and half the night is nearly impossible.
Thank you Oregon for the welcoming access to my public lands and for adopting the ubiquitous greedy attitude of "if you don't pay, you don't play" attitude.
Still, you won't see me camped there, but Its a small wonder why we're finding folks camped at the end of roads now a days.
A lot of secondary and tertiary roads have been closed to vehicles over the last 20 years to improve deer and elk herd habitat. I dont have a problem with that... but, it does make finding dispersed campsites a problem. One of my favorite spots to camp has been taken over by some hunter now 2 years in a row he sets up a big awning and tent at the beginning of deer season and simply leaves it there for the entire month for him to use on the weekends.

Ive had to adjust my camping "footprint" to make it a lot smaller and more flexible (movable) to fit smaller less preferred spots.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews