JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the hunting etiquette for setting up a hunting camp right at or even in front of a gated road?
What is the etiquette for those that want to hunt that gated road but a camp is set up there?

edit to clarify: this is for gated roads that are allow the public to hunt behind.

Last Edited:
What is the hunting etiquette for setting up a hunting camp right at or even in front of a gated road?
Why, or what is the reason to sent up camp in front of a gated road, with the possibility of others wanting to use the gate/road, and what do you mean by EVEN IN FRONT of the gated road?

Why not find a location AWAY from the gate/road altogether and avoid all the hassles.

Man, in my life of hunting I always chose camping spots a LONG WAY from the high traffic public access areas and mostly in secluded areas.

What is the etiquette for those that want to hunt that gated road but a camp is set up there?
That would qualify as Moronic.

Camp setup should be a discreet distance from any road and not to interfere with any potential traffic or walk way.

Proper etiquette is you never enter another persons camp site without first hailing the camp and being invited to approach. Setting up a camp in the direct path of free right to pass areas is about as idiotic as you can get.

Other than the campers etiquette violation... Just because the gate is closed at that moment also doesn't mean it won't be in use. It may be opened and closed at pre dawn or after dusk hours where some areas may be closed to overnight camping... IOW, day hunting use only. It may also be opened by logging operators, ODFW or firefighter access. IE., Emergencies.

Obstructing a road even in the outbacks is still a violation.

It's a personal call, but it's not uncommon to hail a camp, share a coffee/beer/chitchat or whatnot and non-confrontationally educate the violator.

Last Edited:
to clarify my position, I would never. Never have and never will, never have even considered it an option. Its one thing to find another road if there is a vehicle parked there but its just really awkward to decide what to do when you roll up and find a whole camp there.
Is that like they are saying this spot is theirs?

Like the tent I saw pitched literally right in front of the gate.
As the man said "There's your sign" the person that did that either is really stupid / inconsiderate or has reasons for not wanting anyone else to go down that road. Not being a Marine platoon I tend to stay away from folks like that and if at all possible find some place else to be

I did include this in my OP.
It didn't sound like you had 'experienced' this but more of a question as 'what if'.

Regardless I agree with, stay away from folks like that and if at all possible find some place else to be.

Lots of National Forest out there. No need to deal with idiots who are obviously looking for trouble and think they are 'above' the rules/laws.

Is that like they are saying this spot is theirs?
That's very likely the case. "Staking a claim" and discouraging anyone else from entering "their" hunting ground. Using camp etiquette rules against others that wouldn't dare pass through close vicinity of another mans campsite without an invite.

On the other hand... there are a lotta highly uneducated people these days. They may simply just be innocently clueless and lack any measure of common sense. ;)

Last Edited:
Set up a camp in front of a gate on the road on land you don't own, blocking the access of the owner to his property? Or the public to public land they have as much right to use as you? Instead of camping somewhere discreetly nearby not blocking anything?

Are you out of your ever luvin' mind?

What's the proper etiquette for taking a dump on the floor in the middle of a fancy restaurant instead of using a restroom?

Bottom line is there are neckbearded, mouthbreathers out there who think they can do anything they want because they have game tags for the area, a bunch of loud vehicles, and a gaggle of their similarly minded friends who have two digit IQs and bully attitudes to match. They also have zero respect for themselves and anyone else they might encounter.

Sad part is these 'types' most likely would claim to be '2A supporters' , republican, conservative etc. and consider themselves 'good ol Americans' yet treat others with zero respect.

Seen 'em all my life, and I simply stay away from them....

Regardless I agree with, stay away from folks like that and if at all possible find some place else to be.
Some people really are just clueless, have no ill intention and may have just not had the advantages of growing up with family/friends to educated them in such things. Helping to expand their wealth of outdoor camp knowledge never hurts. What to do with that knowledge leaves the ball in their court.

Then again... in our society today we reward and enable aholery. It's perfectly fine, right? You can do whatever you want and as illustrated in this thread... if someone doesn't like it... the sheeple will go find somewhere else to be. Their aholery paid off, they got what they wanted and no skin off their nose. 🤣

Some people really are just clueless, have no ill intention and may have just not had the advantages of growing up with family/friends to educated them in such things. Helping to expand their wealth of outdoor camp knowledge never hurts. What to do with that knowledge leaves the ball in their court.

Then again... in our society today we reward and enable aholery. It's perfectly fine, right? You can do whatever you want and as illustrated in this thread... if someone doesn't like it... the sheeple will go find somewhere else to be. Their aholery paid off, they got what they wanted and no skin off their nose. 🤣
I'm only a tough guy on the interwebs, in real life I have a strong aversion to physical violence, especially when I am on the receiving end!

I'm only a tough guy on the interwebs, in real life I have a strong aversion to physical violence, especially when I am on the receiving end!
I would say.... if all attempts of respectful encounters with others inevitably ends in violence.... you're doing it wrong.:s0140:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews