JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Above and beyond the call of duty.

Season-3-Disc-5-bonus-b.jpg

One thing to keep in mind: the Rangers that patrol Wilderness Areas are Law Enforcement Officers and if they see a firearm will demand a hunting license, the results of not having one will be the lose of your firearm and never being able to Hunt in OR again
The Wilderness areas are over run with collage kids in the summer and they will turn your *** in via cell phone. Eastern OR has some big Recreation Areas that are gun friendly

Hmmm....I really doubt that they can confiscate it without a court order. I have a hard time seeing how merely walking in the wilderness with a decked out AR or AK is proof that you're hunting. I hike with a LG when I go out, and carry no hunting license on me....

I have a hard time seeing how merely walking in the wilderness with a decked out AR or AK is proof that you're hunting.
Back in the 'day' the common understanding was IF you OCd in the woods you had better have a hunting license and I recall a few who were cited for same but I suspect they were probably observed shooting at varmints. This whole notion is largely in part a non-issue if you are simply 'carrying' or actually set up shooting at targets.

In any case ( I understand this is a very old thread ) if I'm going out in the high woods for a week o two I'm bringing enough food for a week or two. Sorrel and clover get old fast.

Depends on your demeanor and what else you have on you I'd expect.

They find some game bags and a skinning knife and you might be in trouble.

Personally carry guns as protection from people...

Zombie thread but why not.

I was going to make a Buckmark Hunter my pack pistol. But after trying to get repeatable hits on small targets at 20-25 yards. I realized a rifle was a better option for me. I went with the 10/22 takedown and 1-2" targets standing are easy hits. Iron sights were a must for a backup to the red dot. With the red dot you could get head shots and save on meat. Or just run the open sights, that are decent quality and the rear folds down.

Getting accurate hits on small targets to 25+ yards. A rifle really helps. I did consider a Charger Pistol but wanted something i could shoot accurately off hand. With no rest needed.

I make a 22/45 Lite my backpack pistol. I'm a surgeon with it. I keep a Savage 11 Scout in tye trunk too.

Lots of great advice in this thread, I'm glad it was resurrected. Longest I've been in was 3 weeks in the mountains, and came out because we didn't do a good job of catching fish and ran out of food.
Skills that have saved my life, figuratively, more than once: navigation and reading geography. I have made directional decisions before, thinking I was so smart, and wound up 10 miles away from my intended destination. Very humbling.

I've read articles on the "loneliness of the wilderness" and every time I went in for a week or more, it was to get away and sort my head out, so the isolation was needed and i didn't notice it. What always surprises me is how loud the wilderness is.

My biggest fear in this last decade has always been ticks. My brother and two friends both suffered horribly because of lyme disease, and the thought of it scares the crap out of me. I plan on spending many weekends in the NF this summer.
Can anyone comment on the best tick repellent?

this is some good advice. i have done some hiking and backpacking trips on my own before but this time will be bringing a buddy of mine who just got out of the military. he wanted to do something "away from it all" and im trying to put something together. i have the food required to make the trip so starving isnt an issue. if there are animal hazards i think i will be taking my .223 over my .22 :p and i refuse to go without doing the proper research and getting the hunting papers sorted out.
Most 223's weigh in around 7 pounds plus ammo, personally I'd take a S&W 69 44mag at 2.4 lb plus a box of ammo, if your not really hunting and just wish to stop large predator with 5 shots this will do it, plus carries a lot easier and deploys faster. Also usually only smallest game is legal with the 223 vs 44mag.
LOL

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top