JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
most of the grow Ops are at lower altitudes for obvious reasons. I might have shot my mouth off about the hunting license thing, I live outside OR and so have a different frame of referance~game laws.
But I'm still willing to support you logisticaly wise.
I've had to deal with Cartel grows. The poor Sobs that tend the grows are 99.999 percent forced labor who thought they would get to El Norte but ended-up as slave labor, with their family held hostage back in Mexico.
it is a sad, sad situation with the threat to hikers being more prevalant in Komifornia and southern OR then north of Crater Lake due to the very short grow season

I can appreciate your interest is this level of 'tech' and I am sorry but this just REEKS of 'gadgety' to me. I put this on the same level as all the compact solar panels and accessories for charging this and that while out. Start carrying to much of this stuff and you will spend all your time playing with the high tech devices and not concentrating on true outdoor skills. About as much 'high tech' as I would consider now would be a good, (and as small as you can find) LED flashlight that uses ONE AA battery and before you go out turn it on at home and note how long it lasts (useable light) on one battery. In reality you may only use the light a couple hours at most per day so a few extra batts may be all you need. AND as much as I hate the thought - I guess you should have a cell phone but for what I don't know, but carry it if you must.

I second this. 'Keep It Simple, Stupid,' right? If you're going to have some wacky stove you are definitely going to need simpler backups. Matches, trioxane, regular isobutane stove, etc. things tend to not work when you need them the most (or the more complicated they are), so if you don't have easier options your'e screwed.

I agree ... same goes with compass and a Terrain Quad or better map ... versus a GPS.
Fire, food, water, shelter, navigation, protection from the elements need redundancy.

I second this. 'Keep It Simple, Stupid,' right? If you're going to have some wacky stove you are definitely going to need simpler backups. Matches, trioxane, regular isobutane stove, etc. things tend to not work when you need them the most (or the more complicated they are), so if you don't have easier options your'e screwed.

I could go on and on, but I'll try to keep it short.

As far as gear is concerned, it's not about what you take, but about what you don't take. Keep your gear lightweight and to a minimum, and if you're going to splurge on one piece of gear, make it your sleeping pad (unless you get a Hennessey Hammock as another poster mentioned).

As others have said, the fishing pole will feed you far better than the rifle. If you take a firearm, bring a 10MM pistol or magnum caliber revolver with a heavy-hitting, flat-point bullet load for defense, not for harvesting food.

For preparing the fish, all you need is some tinfoil, a small amount of oil, and lemon pepper. Keep it simple.

To avoid the majority of the mosquitos, plan your trip for August rather than early summer.

Don't forget entertainment. Bring a small deck of cards and a good book. You'll be glad you did.

Wish I was going with you. Have fun!

P.S. Remember to leave a map with a trusted friend that highlights the areas you will be visiting along with a date that you plan to return. Then, DON'T DEVIATE FROM IT!

Okay i will have to read into this a little more. so say i had a K-T su16A and it was not hidden. and no shots have been fired i will be questioned but i will not be breaking the law? i have decided to attempt to bring all the food i need over hunting for it. but i would still like to have a rifle for animal hazards and emergancys

If it is Hunting Season for any game, you need to have a license if you are carrying a gun that could be used for hunting. A Ranger may let your self-defense revolver get by during deer season, but you'd better not be caught shooting at anything, including game and tin cans. There is a legal presumption that carrying a gun in the woods during hunting season equates to hunting, that you will have to prove to be incorrect when in court, should it come to that. Not a fun burden to have.

A Ranger may consider your carrying a rifle perfectly fine as long as your merely hiking between your morning and evening campsites along the trail, but get seen carrying it outside of your campsite, that's hunting, to them, and good luck saying you weren't.

Those Rangers you encounter in federal Wilderness Areas, they are in fact trained in natural resource law enforcement, and carry radios. They probably won't do more than have a conversation with you, due to safety concerns in remote areas, but you can be met at a trailhead by a deputy or game warden on exiting the woods.

The college kid hikers may not have cell phone access, but they will stop and talk to the Rangers when they meet up with one. They will not care about hunting seasons, the mere sight of your gun will drive them insane and engender them to lie through their teeth about your activities.

Just between the two of us, there's nothing up there you want to eat, anyway, unless it's a deer or bear. Grouse are just about it. The squirrels are hands-off, not really considered fair game, other hikers will turn you in for that. If you like the idea of a nice, toothsome rodent such as a marmot or 'mountain beaver' for dinner, be prepared to have the worst dining experience of your life.

Lots of the alpine areas have rules in place about no open fires, you need to cook using a stove. You can't carry enough fuel to use in preparing wild game for eating.

You do what you want to do, just consider that you may enjoy your trip a lot more if you carry enough food to preclude the need to hunt small game, it may not be worth the effort and may cause you some grief if you run into some zealous anti-hunter hiker or warden. Perhaps a revolver in your pack is what you really need to be thinking about, for those emergencies.

necropost.jpg

I know there is specific case law stating the ODFW does NOT usurp state law and CANNOT tell you when you can or cannot carry a firearm. If I wanted to open carry my hunting rifle during archery season, there is nothing they can legally do about it.

From the ODFW site.

And if you don't click the link and feel like reading ODFW's PDF, I've copied over the important first "fact"

This.

You need a hunting license to hunt grey squirrel and unprotected mammals in Oregon. To get a resident license you need to have lived here for 6 months consecutively. A non-resident license sells for $140.50 and if you plan on doing this I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of the hunting regulations and spend time on the ODFW website learning what you can and cannot take.
I second Diesel's reply. also check out ODFW's hunting access map. It can give you and idea about what game is most plentiful there which can help you make a gun choice. If you get a .22 air rifle, have it shoot around 800fps, much more quiet.

Last Edited:
okay would anybody know of some gear they would recomend for a trip like this? i kinda have an amazon wishlist put together that im slowly working on in my spare time if i can find out how to share it on here would any of you feel its worth looking at?

Try to get the lightweight stuff. Those ounces really add up. Make sure to bring a water purifier and some way to sharpen knives as in the country they get dull fast. Check out maps to find creeks and streams where you can refill your water stash. And always bring a emergency stash of food and water + a few good maps.

Hello there i am going to be moving to oregon around june 1st and i have been slowly planning a 2 week long backpacking trip in the oregon mountains. the thing is i want to be able to hunt small game and prepare them for my food after properly disposing of the waste. are there any laws keeping me from being able to do this? i would like to know because i am waiting to purchase a henry ar-7 or a powerfull .22 air rifle if i cant have a firearm.
One thing I do is bring mountain house meals like rice and beans and if I get a fish or animal along the way then I can add the meat to the mix and get a pretty good meal.

Hello there i am going to be moving to oregon around june 1st and i have been slowly planning a 2 week long backpacking trip in the oregon mountains. the thing is i want to be able to hunt small game and prepare them for my food after properly disposing of the waste. are there any laws keeping me from being able to do this? i would like to know because i am waiting to purchase a henry ar-7 or a powerfull .22 air rifle if i cant have a firearm.

How about a nice 22 pistol instead, like a Ruger or Browning with a 4 or 6" barrrel.

You'd do better fishing your way along the PCT.

Zombie thread but why not.

I was going to make a Buckmark Hunter my pack pistol. But after trying to get repeatable hits on small targets at 20-25 yards. I realized a rifle was a better option for me. I went with the 10/22 takedown and 1-2" targets standing are easy hits. Iron sights were a must for a backup to the red dot. With the red dot you could get head shots and save on meat. Or just run the open sights, that are decent quality and the rear folds down.

Getting accurate hits on small targets to 25+ yards. A rifle really helps. I did consider a Charger Pistol but wanted something i could shoot accurately off hand. With no rest needed.

No conversation is too old ... I dont know where people come up with this ODFW will take your gun stuff. I don't leave my rig without a gun when I go into the woods and Ive talked to numerous game guys out in the woods over the years. Not a one of them has ever asked me anything other than if I was hunting or not. I say no and they are off on their merry way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top