JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have so many weird specialized things I use ... I'll just mention a couple.

Black spider wire fishing line or similar @ 40-60 pound strength.
Nice and light for tying stuff up and great for traps.

If you have a vacuum packing machine it is nice to pack emergency gear with.
(Stuff you have to bring but may not use.)

Quality Compass and terrain maps and the skill to use them ... never rely on GPS.

I bring a variety of led gear ... from motion sensor lights to flashlight.

okay would anybody know of some gear they would recomend for a trip like this? i kinda have an amazon wishlist put together that im slowly working on in my spare time if i can find out how to share it on here would any of you feel its worth looking at?

ah yes i will have a gps along but my friend that will be coming with has navigation skills. i can read a map as well. so im hopefull about navigation

You NEED navigation skills, you NEED to practice them. What happens if your friend gets injured and suddenly you've got to find the nearest road to get help and once you've found the help you've got to navigate them back to your friend? Take the time to learn, it's really not that hard of a skill to get down.

You NEED navigation skills, you NEED to practice them. What happens if your friend gets injured and suddenly you've got to find the nearest road to get help and once you've found the help you've got to navigate them back to your friend? Take the time to learn, it's really not that hard of a skill to get down.

yes i agree. and i will do that thanks. im going to visit a library and talk to a survival teacher in about a week or so

I used to spend a lot of time backpacking, and much of it in the Three Sister Wilderness area. I could go on and on about what to take, not to take etc. but a couple things - as previously mentioned get a good map and stay on the trails as they relate to the map and always cross-reference your location on the map at crosstrails - especially if they are marked. If you know how to use a compass get a good one. If you don't know how to use one LEARN. GPS is a useful ACCESSORY and not a TOOL. It can fail anytime. Get a good fire starting device. I can't remember the name but the one Bear Grylls endorses is a good one - but keep a supply of strike anywhere matches sealed and dry. Also get and carry a small magnifying glass and practice using it for as much fire starting as you can. Get a good set of modern mountaineering long underwear and pack it tight and dry. Two pair gloves - one pair cold weather insulated kept dry and packed away, and the second something light and snug fitting to wear while you are hiking, especially if you are keeping your hands on your backpack chest straps as you are walking. I used to have USAF pilots gloves and they are great but a good pair of soft quality leather gloves will be perfect. Your hands should always be gloved while hiking and only removed when at camp. Small hand wounds can really ruin a trip. Thought about a stove? Lots of new ones out there since I was backpacking but I would stick with a liquid fuel type but shop them all. Heck even good ol' sterno cans and a pot stand work very well. don't forget a roll of good high strength cotton string (waxed) and find a spot on your pack frame (a cross tube works well if open frame) and black tape a 15 minute highway flare to it tightly. This is a last ditch fire starting device when the summer snowstorm hits and you are shivering while trying to start one. Heck even that is not enough of an emergency to break it out but you will know when the time is if you need to. Last but not least a good knife. Not a Rambo survival knife with the hollow handle with the tackle box stashed in it but one that fits your hand well and is comfortable with no more than a 4" to 6" blade. You have no need for a knife bigger than that. A small hatchet is great but a folding pack style ripsaw is lighter and might have the advantage for firewood cutting. Another thing you should think about is a good Leatherman combination tool. I did not have one at the time but I never leave home without one (and sometimes two) now. Ziplock bags and aluminum foil fold flat, weigh almost nothing, store well and have a multitude of uses. I could go on and on but I'll stop now.

Thankyou RVTECH. this information is valuable and i will make a note of it. as for stoves i have seen a few liquid fule and one in particular that catches my eye. it runs on branches and small hunks of wood. it can bout water in under 4.5 min and generates electricity that powers its on board fan that increases the heat of the fire.

generates electricity that powers its on board fan that increases the heat of the fire.
I can appreciate your interest is this level of 'tech' and I am sorry but this just REEKS of 'gadgety' to me. I put this on the same level as all the compact solar panels and accessories for charging this and that while out. Start carrying to much of this stuff and you will spend all your time playing with the high tech devices and not concentrating on true outdoor skills. About as much 'high tech' as I would consider now would be a good, (and as small as you can find) LED flashlight that uses ONE AA battery and before you go out turn it on at home and note how long it lasts (useable light) on one battery. In reality you may only use the light a couple hours at most per day so a few extra batts may be all you need. AND as much as I hate the thought - I guess you should have a cell phone but for what I don't know, but carry it if you must.

Quality boots (well broken in), good socks and moleskin for the blisters that will show up anyway. First aid kit, map, compass, water proof matches, beef bullon cubes, a good mini stove, space blanket, mirror (signal device), a good knife, wool cap, water purification (clean water = life!), after you consider all of the survival items then you can start thinking about comfort items, just remember you are the pack mule so every ounce counts.

just remember you are the pack mule so every ounce counts.
Very good point. lots of ways to eliminate extra weight if you start to look at everything. Cut your toothbrush handle in half, get pants with zippered leggings for instant shorts, get a fabric belt with velcro and no metal hook. Lots of creative ways to cut weight.

Hello there i am going to be moving to oregon around june 1st and i have been slowly planning a 2 week long backpacking trip in the oregon mountains. the thing is i want to be able to hunt small game and prepare them for my food after properly disposing of the waste. are there any laws keeping me from being able to do this? i would like to know because i am waiting to purchase a henry ar-7 or a powerfull .22 air rifle if i cant have a firearm.

I'll just pitch this out there, has to do with the trip vs. gear. You might want to consider a section of the Pacific Crest Trail. Sounds like you are new to the state and this will give you some known mileage. There are sections that take you by some good fishing and will take you away from folks. If you take a section that dumps you out in the Columbia Gorge you could probably track down some good beer and try to find a kite boarding chick with loose morals and a bed in her van.

I have done a lot of different packing ... Internal frame, External Frame and my newest Ultralight Frameless.

Done properly a solid internal frame is thus far my favorite. I can pack more than I can carry in a $50 Costco Pack.

Granted ... I take 3 days to pack my pack after I take a week or so sorting stuff ... and load it for the best carry. (So it is a form fit load balanced soft 60 pound Brick.)

Newest Method is Frameless where I use vacuum packed gear to make the internal frame and load balance and support.

Only good for location and back ... not re-packing along several camp sites ... just to get there and return without food. (Otherwise it wouldn't fit)

I do know of a great place I consider to be the best camping spot I have ever found.
It is remote but easy access. It is 45-60 minutes to a small town with everything.
It is 35 min to an awesome swimming hole.
Low altitude in an Old growth forest area. 2400ish feet
Is also in a warmer micro climate.
Has excellent hunting all around.
There are lotsa trails all over the area and roads that go way up in the boonies.
Wilderness area accessible.
Right next to a beautiful creek.

My list of things: boots that are broken in and comfortable and provide good support (I prefer leather/gore-tex/vibram soles personally); good socks; a pack that's comfortable and fits you (REI and other places can help with this); warm hat and gloves; good rain jacket (I never use rain pants - your choice); good knife - I can make do with a basic swiss army knife, but a fixed-blade in the 4-5" realm will give you more options; good sleeping bag; invest in a decent sleeping pad - your body will thank you; tent that's easy to set up and will survive wind/rain (I prefer free-standing models); small stove - I'm fond of pressurized gas canisters, but they don't always work great at higher altitudes and may not go as long as white-gas powered stoves; whistle; matches in a waterproof container; water filter (ceramic cartridge type) - getting giardia sucks; at least two water bottle or a water bladder (your choice - I use water bladders for day hiking, but if I were going out deep in the woods, I'd probably trust a couple of nalgene bottles more); one basic LED flashlight should get you through; a lightweight pot to boil water in; plastic long-handled spoon (makes mixing easier); first aid kit - although not cheapest, there is some value in buying a pre-assembled kit and adding things to it just to make sure you have your bases covered; space blanket; moleskin (plenty); asprin/imodium/pepto; compass & map for the area - practice using it before you go; small pack of playing cards; small book to read; pen/journal (if you're inclined to write something); sunglasses; tweezers (although, the ones that come in a SAK are pretty good in a pinch - no pun intended); sunscreen; bug repellant (DEET); let someone know where you are going, when you'll be back, etc.

In terms of hunting, I think it'd be more hassle than it's worth. However, if you want to, and depending on what's allowed by Oregon hunting laws, I think a .22lr pistol (like maybe a Ruger) would be an easier thing to pack around with you for a couple of weeks. May also come in handy for dissuading some of the more interesting people you may meet from taking an interest in you. I've always had more luck fishing when out hiking - depends on where you go.

In terms of food, if you're really going out for several weeks, you'll probably want to take some freeze dried along with you (simply to save weight and hassle). Try some before you go - nothing is worse than bringing food along that you don't like (and finding out when you're back in the bush).

You might do a quick google search for people who are hiking the Pacific Crest Trail or Appalachian Trail to see what kind of equipment/food/etc. these people are taking with them. Hiking those trails is a big commitment and people put a lot of thought into what they need/don't need and how to keep weight down.

There's my five-cents.

One thing to keep in mind: the Rangers that patrol Wilderness Areas are Law Enforcement Officers and if they see a firearm will demand a hunting license, the results of not having one will be the lose of your firearm and never being able to Hunt in OR again
The Wilderness areas are over run with collage kids in the summer and they will turn your *** in via cell phone. Eastern OR has some big Recreation Areas that are gun friendly

This is NOT exactly true. You are NOT required to have a hunting license while hiking with a firearm. Only if you are hunting. IF you are seen shooting at game you better have one. There are regulations regarding not shooting in designated camping areas etc. Also, If you do not have an Oregon Concealed permit you HAVE to open carry. Do not put your handgun in your back pack. Kinda defeats the purpose anyway, but, there are people that do that.

Also, not much cell phone coverage in areas that are wilderness. I would suggest a "Spot" gps so people will know you are safe. You can text communicate with one in an emergency also.

One thing to keep in mind: the Rangers that patrol Wilderness Areas are Law Enforcement Officers and if they see a firearm will demand a hunting license, the results of not having one will be the lose of your firearm and never being able to Hunt in OR again
The Wilderness areas are over run with collage kids in the summer and they will turn your *** in via cell phone. Eastern OR has some big Recreation Areas that are gun friendly

Since when do you need a hunting license to carry a gun? Can you provide the ORS that covers that? What exactly would the charge be?

Since when do you need a hunting license to carry a gun? Can you provide the ORS that covers that? What exactly would the charge be?

I know there is specific case law stating the ODFW does NOT usurp state law and CANNOT tell you when you can or cannot carry a firearm. If I wanted to open carry my hunting rifle during archery season, there is nothing they can legally do about it.

From the ODFW site.

In 1995, Oregon Legislators adopted Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 166.170 giving all authority to regulate possession of firearms solely to the Oregon Legislative Assembly.

In 2003, the Oregon Attorney General reviewed the statute and determined the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission (Commission) cannot limit what firearms can be carried or possessed during hunting seasons.
In the same opinion, the Oregon Attorney General confirmed that the Commission has statutory authority to regulate where, when, how and by whom wildlife are taken by hunting.
All ODFW hunting regulations and Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) have been modified to comply with these changes concerning the possession of firearms during hunting seasons.
The Commission still determines the season dates, open hunt areas, bag limits, and tag numbers for game species.
The Commission still determines the weapon type that can be legally used to hunt during a specified season.

Requirements for weapons used to hunt with are independent of any weapon(s) the individual hunter may choose to carry while in the field hunting. Regulations regarding when a person may hunt for a particular species also still apply. For example, these regulations state that it is not legal to hunt with a centerfire or muzzleloading rifle without a valid unused deer or elk tag for that time period and area on the person during eastern Oregon buck deer seasons and many of the standard elk seasons (see HUNTING PROHIBITED on page 28 for the exact rule language). <broken link removed> (pdf)

And if you don't click the link and feel like reading ODFW's PDF, I've copied over the important first "fact"

What authority does the Oregon Fish and
Wildlife Commission have related to fire-
arms and hunting seasons?

The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has
statutory authority to regulate when, where and
what types of firearms can be used for hunting.
The Commission does not have the authority to
restrict a person's ability to possess or carry
firearms.

Thanks DS.

Asking people exactly what law is being broken is usually my first step to "that is illegal" or "you have to/you can't" when no laws are being broken

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top