JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So its a White tail if its a Buck and since White tails points are counted as a total if this critter grew up to be what we here would call a 5 point would it then be a 20 point white tail? Be pretty sure that would be in the NON TYPICAL section of Boone and Crocket!

So its a White tail if its a Buck and since White tails points are counted as a total if this critter grew up to be what we here would call a 5 point would it then be a 20 point white tail? Be pretty sure that would be in the NON TYPICAL section of Boone and Crocket!
????
No, its a white tail because its tail is white.
The style of counting tines on the horns isn't due to species, but geographic location.
What you mention is "western count". Back east, they only count one side.
"Non-Typical", that's funny. :s0114:

HUH here in the PNW we would call a deer with 5 tines on one side a 5 point. Back east it would be called a 10 point. but I have only been deer hunting for 49 years come this fall so I could be wrong.

I've always called this a 4-point....

Me_1977DeerAntlers_1.JPG
Everyone I've ever known has called it a 4-point as well.
Of course, I've only lived in Washington since 1966. I suppose we could all be suffering from mass hysteria.

Dean

I've always called this a 4-point....

View attachment 461031
Everyone I've ever known has called it a 4-point as well.
Of course, I've only lived in Washington since 1966. I suppose we could all be suffering from mass hysteria.

Dean

Better count again that is a two point also known as a 2 by or 2x2. In a three point or better restriction area you would be sideways with the law with that "4 pointer"

Last Edited:
Here is a graphic out of the wa game regs showing two legal 3 pts. The deer only has to have 3pts on one side to be legal. We do western count in WA.

047C2DE3-32E9-4B9C-9B8F-6F04D9F338E4.png
I would call the one on the left a 3x2. The one on the right is a 3x3.

Forked horn is just that a horn w/a fork in it. Can be on just one side or both, still a forked horn. A 2x2 is a 'forked horn' as is a 1x2 (western count). When Blacktail are mismatched beyond a typical 3x3 or 3 point we then usually call them by whatever count the sides are, ie. 3x4, 2x3, 4x5 etc. or they could be called by the largest side. A 2x3 could be called a 3 point, a 3x4 a 4 point, etc.

That's old school for my family and friends, I've heard other terms used by other hunters. I remember a guy moved out here about 15 years ago and after hunting hard for a few years finally got himself a dandy 5 point, told the whole town about it. I heard about it and thought, 'wow, good on him, he's been putting in the time'. Come to find out it was a 2x3, also known as a 3 point. Personally I always use the #x# when describing an unmatched rack as it almost feels like cheating calling a 3x4 a 4 point sometimes.

45+ years ago it was mostly locals hunting the woods, native locals. Then over time the natives got eclipsed by non-natives and the vernacular has been changing right along with it. When I was a kid I didn't even know what a Whitetail was and didn't realize people counted all the tines on the horns (what's called Eastern count). After I learned I figured that's just the way Whitetails are counted, every tine. Pretty much still figure that today as far as Whitetail, Muley's and Blacktail are concerned. I've never heard either a Blacktail or Mule deer buck called by all the tines on his rack but Whitetail are mostly counted that way. Where Whitetail, Blacktail and Muley's overlap the western count is usually applied though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top