JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, you need a chainsaw.

upload_2018-8-22_19-39-41.jpeg

Forked horn is just that a horn w/a fork in it. Can be on just one side or both, still a forked horn. A 2x2 is a 'forked horn' as is a 1x2 (western count). When Blacktail are mismatched beyond a typical 3x3 or 3 point we then usually call them by whatever count the sides are, ie. 3x4, 2x3, 4x5 etc. or they could be called by the largest side. A 2x3 could be called a 3 point, a 3x4 a 4 point, etc.

That's old school for my family and friends, I've heard other terms used by other hunters. I remember a guy moved out here about 15 years ago and after hunting hard for a few years finally got himself a dandy 5 point, told the whole town about it. I heard about it and thought, 'wow, good on him, he's been putting in the time'. Come to find out it was a 2x3, also known as a 3 point. Personally I always use the #x# when describing an unmatched rack as it almost feels like cheating calling a 3x4 a 4 point sometimes.

45+ years ago it was mostly locals hunting the woods, native locals. Then over time the natives got eclipsed by non-natives and the vernacular has been changing right along with it. When I was a kid I didn't even know what a Whitetail was and didn't realize people counted all the tines on the horns (what's called Eastern count). After I learned I figured that's just the way Whitetails are counted, every tine. Pretty much still figure that today as far as Whitetail, Muley's and Blacktail are concerned. I've never heard either a Blacktail or Mule deer buck called by all the tines on his rack but Whitetail are mostly counted that way. Where Whitetail, Blacktail and Muley's overlap the western count is usually applied though.
This matches what I grew up with. A 2 point buck, or 2x2, was called a "forked horn". A "3 point buck" refers to a 3x3, and a "4 point" would be 4x4. Odd racks were called "3x2", "4x3", etc...

The only confusion for me was when to count the brow tines or eye guards on a Blacktail.

As long as eye guards are 1" or more they count as a legal point in Wa. However I agree with above post that they otherwise dismissed except in coolness factor. 5612586B-3AA3-4DAD-BDBB-600389780DF2.jpeg
I call this a 4x3 with with double eye guards. It would be called an 11 pointer eastern count. Silly Easterners.

Boon and Crockett counts every point including eye guards. Including Blacktail and Mule.When a buck has horns (antlers), he usually has them on both sides.....Right? 4 points on one side and 4 on the other equal 8. Simple math!

If you want to call 8 points 4x4 it's your call. You can call a creek a crick,but it's still a creek. A crick is something you get in the neck. Or is that a creek??????? I'm getting cornfuzed!

and my 4x4 buck w/a forked drop tine and eye guards would be a 12 point Blacktail!!

I always thought I was great now I can prove it :p

I still call it a 4 point w/a drop tine so it'll just be my secret.........

Have to dig it out of the basement, I'll see if I can't do that.

Used to have it hanging at the Mist store before it burned down. Actually had a few racks there but ended up pulling them out a couple months before the fire, just dumb luck there.

and my 4x4 buck w/a forked drop tine and eye guards would be a 12 point Blacktail!!

I always thought I was great now I can prove it :p

I still call it a 4 point w/a drop tine so it'll just be my secret.........

LOL! If someone asked.......How many toes do you have? Do you reply 10, or 5x5?Which btw would be 25.I guess it should properly be called a 5+5. Cornfuzing ain't it?
If we knew the history of the western count, it would probable be because long ago,some brain dead biologist working for the game department had a problem with math, or just wanted to be KEWL.

Lets see a pic of that bugger!
Finally dug it out and took a pic. 21" outside extreme including drop.
DSCF1904.JPG
This is my 1st buck, off the same ridge as the one above in a wilderness area also 21"..... 39 years ago.
DSCF1907.JPG
This one's from the same place. Not as big.
DSCF1910.JPG
All 3
DSCF1901.JPG
I've gotten quite a few in that area, most not as large rack wise. I have 2 more 4 pointers but couldn't locate them while I was taking pics.

I just got back from a week up there hunting a different trail system than normal due to fire mop up. I got a small forky, one of the younger guys busted an 18" 3 point ranged @305 off the rimrock. It was fun getting that guy out. One side was forked on the front tine the other on the rear, it's impressive. The next day we saw one as big as the 2nd pic sitting up on the rimrock at about 1K yds. Too late in the day to make an attempt and it was our last night. Ended up 3 for 5 in 5 days hunting. The other was a decent forked horn. These are high Cascade Blacktails.

Seriously!?

Then I guess I've shot my share of 12 and 14 point Elk.

If you thought you had one for the record books, both sides would be counted!
The record Blacktail typical buck was killed in1953 in Lewis co. Wa. 5 points on each side included the brow tines.Of coarse the number of tines isn't the only thing measured for the book.really doesn't make a hill of beans what a person wants to call the critter to Boon and Crockett.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top