JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just assembled an Aero lower with a BCM Gunfighter enhanced LPK and am pretty happy with that.
Everything was in spec in the LPK and the trigger feels pretty good at 6 lbs.
I used an Anderson lower and a PSA LPK the last time and the couple dollars saved isn't worth it.
The tension screw in the Aero lower is a nice feature that snugs up all up tight and the tolerances were dead on.

Same with the Bolt Carrier Group, buy a good one and have a regular ol BCG as a spare. I'm using a Radian BCG and charging handle in my AR15.

The Vltor A5 recoil system is pretty nice but finding parts in stock has been tough as everything has been on backorder even before the covid BS.
The only way I was able to get an A5H2 buffer was to get the EMOD stock kit in foliage green and now those are gone.
I'm pretty sure I got the last A5H4 buffer on the planet for the AR9 I just put together and it should be here today.

And yes, it is true, individual spare parts have a way of becoming a complete gun.
JO3eiubl.jpg

CDNN SPORTS has a lot of AR parts I picked up a couple of 16 inch 1/9 556 DPMS barrels for $49 each they shoot awesome .

1/9" twist is fine but need to be careful firing heavy rounds from 70gr-77gr. Be sure you try them at 100 yards to be they don't keyhole. I have one AR with a 1/9" twist and I have shot 50gr TSX to .223 68gr only. For plinking I use M193 rounds mostly.

One thing that I think is underrated is a quality buffer tube. The cheaper ones either don't finish/polish etc the insides of the tubes and they are LOUD. I only buy VLTOR, LMT, or the Rhineland ones. They are silky smooth and make virtually no twang when used with an "enhanced" buffer spring.

I disagree with this statement, in part. If you're just building a plinker it's fine to have a solid trigger guard. If you're going to potentially use the rifle in the cold, with thick gloves, having the ability to use a wide-loop guard so your fingertip doesn't fall off is an advantage.
The trigger guard is the same size or larger in the new lowers isnt it?

This was my kitchen table 2 hours ago... my wife made me put it away though.:rolleyes:
You clearly need more uppers and lowers!
Yeah this is gonna be a dangerous hobby for my wallet lmao
Advice : don't start. It's like getting into sailing, race cars or speed bikes.
Brass pin punches (if using non screwing pins)
No need to get brass, it'll bugger up the aluminum just as bad as steel. Small ball peen hammer (8 oz or lighter).
Magpul armorers wrench
I have that, find the Wheeler is much better at 1/2 the price.

I disagree with this statement, in part. If you're just building a plinker it's fine to have a solid trigger guard. If you're going to potentially use the rifle in the cold, with thick gloves, having the ability to use a wide-loop guard so your fingertip doesn't fall off is an advantage.

I've never saw that actually put to use though. Every aftermarket trigger guard has been "enhanced" for use with gloves.

No need to get brass, it'll bugger up the aluminum just as bad as steel. Small ball peen hammer (8 oz or lighter).
I have that, find the Wheeler is much better at 1/2 the price.

Good advice.

I have used this for years.

Edited to add:
I use a 4oz ball peen and 6oz soft face mallet.

IMG_20200424_133202.jpg

Last Edited:
I have Brownells Armorer's wrench which works pretty well. It is better than Wheeler Armorer's wrench that I got where the castle nut wrench was worthless. I ordered a 3 of the inexpensive castle nut wrenches from Ebay. They have a rubber grip and 3 cost less than $20.00 at that time.

8925A5D3-59C9-4621-9C63-4B19FEE6AA09.jpeg

Hi all I am getting ready to try my first AR build. Was wanting any advice that more experienced builders could provide. Anything and everything is helpful. Which products would you use or recommend? Where you prefer to shop? I have been thinking of going with a spikes lower and aero upper with a faxon 16" barrel. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also check out

Deer hunting and target shooting. I've heard both that 5.56 would take a deer down but also it wouldnt. I guess the question I would have is would a 6.5 grendel be any better for this purpose?

Yes, the Grendel is a better deer round, although with a 5.56 and some good soft points, i wouldnt feel undergunned on deer. My state feels differently.

The downsides of the Grendel are less material on the boltface, which makes it weaker, and more expensive mags and ammo.

In my opinion, the Grendel does lots of things ok, but doesn't really excell at any.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top