JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm trying really hard to hold on to the Para stainless I have... I really would rather have a Beretta 92 because I have way more 9mm ammo and it's cheaper but I just can't let it go yet.

But once a week or so I consider putting it up for trade:oops:.

Don't do it!! I thought about selling my highly customized P14 for many years because I have such bad arthritis now and only shoot 9mm anymore. Too much trouble IMO to convert it, so I passed it down to my son-in-law. He and my grandson REALLY love it.

Gun sale 021.jpg

I'm a double stack guy. Thin grips just don't feel right or shoot well for me. With the Para P14 I could transition to my Glocks with no problem. But I had to put a Hogue wrap on my carry pistol, a Ruger SR9c which features a thin grip even tho it is a double stack.

Last Edited:
Depending on how much you want to spend I would pick a springer loaded,RO,or TRP if you could find one.
With the accuracy I had with those three I wouldn't spend any more.
Plus the TRP wasn't that accurate when I got it so I sent it back to Springfield. They sent it back with a new barrel and new trigicon sights for free. In only a month's time.
They sent their range target with a very small group and I was able to get very close to the same sized group.
Very good weapons for the money

Never been a fan of the SIG or any of the external extractor 1911's
For me, any series 70 Colt, or an SXE, or a Delta Elite would do it! Also most of the new Double Stacks and especially the STI 2011 series modular double stacks!
I have built 7 STI's in the last 2 years with no plans to stop. Right now, I have 17 1911's in the safe including the two being carried by me and the wife! J.M.B's finest design! Now to find a Para Super Wart Hawg longslide!

I fixed up a friends stainless single stack Springfield with a low power recoil spring and a two piece guide rod. Beautiful firearm with great accuracy. Course, I shot it much better than my buddy did. :rolleyes:

Never been a fan of the SIG or any of the external extractor 1911's
For me, any series 70 Colt, or an SXE, or a Delta Elite would do it! Also most of the new Double Stacks and especially the STI 2011 series modular double stacks!
I have built 7 STI's in the last 2 years with no plans to stop. Right now, I have 17 1911's in the safe including the two being carried by me and the wife! J.M.B's finest design! Now to find a Para Super Wart Hawg longslide!
OK
So I was told long ago that para was a sub p.a.r...a:rolleyes: gun.
I have alway thought of them on the same level as a taurus
I mean I have an arms ore 1911 in 10mm now but runs great very accurate and i didn't want to spend a ton for my first 10mm 1911. That said I'm still a little,well 'very' prejudice of Paras
Enlighten us

I fixed up a friends stainless single stack Springfield with a low power recoil spring and a two piece guide rod. Beautiful firearm with great accuracy. Course, I shot it much better than my buddy did. :rolleyes:

Yah, we made a target piece out of it. He still had an original WWII model that he kept on his nightstand that we left unmodified.

Last Edited:
OK
So I was told long ago that para was a sub p.a.r...a:rolleyes: gun.
I have alway thought of them on the same level as a taurus
I mean I have an arms ore 1911 in 10mm now but runs great very accurate and i didn't want to spend a ton for my first 10mm 1911. That said I'm still a little,well 'very' prejudice of Paras
Enlighten us

During the early USPSA years, Para was one of the favored .45 firearms for Limited. Built in Canada, very solid weapons, and reliable. The company was moved to Carolina, I don't know why, did they sell? Then they had a poor reputation for a few years. They came out of it. USPSA guys have been using them again for years now! If a person wants to buy one, make sure it is either a Canada model, or a recent production model. Their "Expert" has a great rep and the other products are pretty good too!!!

If you can put up with the parking and admittance fee, I'd recommend wandering tables at a gun show and hitting a few big shops.

Look at the overall dimensions, finishes, sights, safety/slide release levers, beavertails, hammers, mag wells, grips, backstraps, etc., etc., etc.

The 1911 is unique in that so many features can be interchanged when you decide you want something different. There is something to be said, though, for finding one pistol already equipped just the way you want it.

The more you see and fondle, the closer you will be to achieving that elusive state of 1911 nirvana, however fleeting and brief.

Last Edited:
I think a lot of the troubles came from the changes made to create a good running double stack and also the Compacts which had issues with breaking springs and over running the mag stack, these issues were small in the bigger scheme, but made people shy away from them until the issues were fixed! I had a Warthawg compact when they first came out and had troubles with the recoil spring until they figured out a double spring and guide rod set up and cured this issue! Para has always been pretty innovative with the 1911 design with an eye toward good competition pistols and they took some risks when designing them that caused some issues, but I think they have it all figured out now and the 1911's they are putting out seem to run very well! My Para Elite 16.40 runs perfect and is box stock with no changes except for the front sight!

i dont have much input but still feel like posting my few experiences. i have only ever shot a springfield loaded and a springfield range officer. they shot well! nice and crisp trigger, just a smooth ball bearing-like slide to frame fit. i couldnt tell mich difference between the two except im not a fan of target sights(range officer). i do however, like the novak style night sights on the loaded i shot. both seem like real good quality guns.

i have a form4 coming back any day, im trying to convince myself not to buy a remington r1 enhanced threaded barrel. ive handled one, never shot one. i mean it feels nice, about as tight as the springfields i shot. i like how it comes with suppressor sights too (which may be switched out,idk). my FFL can get me one for $730 out the door. i hope its not one of those "too good to be true" or "you get what you pay for" deals.

i mean hickok45 didnt have many negatives about it so it must be decent right??

If you can put up with the parking and admittance fee, I'd recommend wandering tables at a gun show and hit a few big shops.

Look at the overall dimensions, finishes, sights, safety/slide release levers, beavertails, hammers, mag wells, grips, backstraps, etc., etc., etc.

The 1911 is unique in that so many features can be interchanged when you decide you want something different. There is something to be said, though, for finding one pistol already equipped just the way you want it.

The more you see and fondle, the closer you will be to achieving that elusive state of 1911 nirvana, however fleeting and brief.

Thanks that was a very unbiased post with really good advice. :)

As with most things, it really depends on what you want to spend. My Marine shoots a Springfield Range Officer in 3-gun contests, and is very happy with it. I've got a Springfield full size 'Operator' model (no longer made), and I like it a lot. It's a bit more expensive than the RO, but has the trigger and features to justify its price. Though, the RO isn't bad at all....quite the contrary.

The other one that caught my eye and impressed me for the price was the Ruger SR1911. Those can be had for a decent price if you look around just a bit.

As you head up the price ladder, you'll see some amazing guns by Nighthawk and Wilson Combat. If the price is within your budget and means, you will not be disappointed.

As they say, one man's opinion.

I am a Springfield owner. I appreciate the maker for their quality, competitive pricing and world class customer service. I've owned Colt and Ruger 1911's in the past but sold them on. I wasn't unhappy with them but I seemed to be looking for something else.

I believe I have found what I was looking for. I have three SA .45 ACP handguns at the moment, two of which are patterned after the 1911.

A Trophy Match - Fantastic shooter, slick trigger, ball bearing slide to frame fitment, very accurate. Just a bit too heavy to use as a carry gun but this is a full featured 1911 with a lot of custom touches for less than a full custom price.

SA%20Trophy%2003_zps8czn93mv.jpg

A Champion Lightweight Operator - Just a 1/2" shorter than the Trophy Match and with less features, this one is my favorite to shoot. It does have a few custom touches added by SACS (Springfield Armory Custom Shop) but nothing to esoteric. It must be the length difference but I find initial sight picture and re-acquiring that picture after each round to be quicker than the TP.

SA1911%2012_zpsj9s1lspk.jpg

The third SA is my carry piece, an XDS. With a 3.3" barrel, this striker fired .45 is a bit of a handful but the size, weight and hi-vis sights make it perfect for my carry needs:

DSC_0076_zpskqafk2iq.jpg

Good luck with your search!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class