Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1911 help

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by kronic1, Aug 18, 2014.

1. kronic1

kronic1 camas Member

Need help finding a tac style frame for my 1911. I want a bobtail frame with a tac rail.
    Does anyone know who makes one?

2. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Other than going custom route I don't know of any factory railed bobtails. That's why I started on my own.
    Is pick up an RIA (for budget) or an SA Operator and do the bobtail yourself. It's not too difficult.

3. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Check out Caspian's line - they have tac rail frames for sure, not sure about bob tail though -that might be a mod you gotta do yourself.

orygun likes this.
  4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

'Look at Brownell's. They carry many different frames. If you're handy, the Bobtail conversion should be pretty straightforward to do if you can't find one already done that way.

5. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Call gary at foster (caspian), he has a constantly changing inventory, the website doen't get updated with the one or two of a kind because they go pretty fast.

I know you "want what you want" and it's a personal decision, but, why a bobtail? I carry a race ready foster framed 1911 with an integral mag well, never a problem with concealment.

6. kronic1

kronic1 camas Member

Your right but it's not a carry thing. I just like the bobtail, fits really good in my big fat hands. Lol

7. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

I think SIG make one with rail on bobtail frame.

8. kronic1

kronic1 camas Member

Looking for a frame not the gun;)

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I didn't like the looks of a bobtail. It's like a round butt Smith & Wesson. It either fits you or it doesn't. I love both the bobtail and round butt Smith, but I never liked them at all until I held them. Nothing fits my hand like my CBOB or the 686+ round butt I stupidly sold...

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Bobtails should be called something other than 1911 IMHO

11. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Brownells has a jig for boring a new MSH hole and they also have the bobbed MSH. I have done a couple and it's real easy. PM me if you decide to do it yourself. Here's my Kimber TLE II with graphite black cerakote.

Kimberbob-tail011.jpg
    Kimberbob-tail008.jpg
    This is another one I did. I contoured these grips to fit and they cover the pin. The grips on the Kimber are were ordered bobbed.
    ErichsChampion001.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    orygun likes this.
  12. kronic1

kronic1 camas Member

Who did the finish on you 1911?