JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Changed over to slim grips so I swapped out the bushings and grip screws to the slimmer ones. Screws are slightly sticking out in the mag well. What do I do? I wonder if the grips are outta spec(too skinny) or the screws are just slightly too long?

What kind of grips are you using? If you are using VZ slim grips they are meant to be used with an o-ring... but even so, I don't think mine have ever stuck out far enough to cause problems without the o-ring. I would check the specs of your grips and screws against what the manufacturer has listed to see if either is out of spec.

It happens frequently. Grip thicknesses vary with the manufacturer.
I finally wound up blowing a few bucks on a few different manufacturers sets of slim grip screws and tried to fit the round peg in the round hole.

IMG_9590.JPG

.062 is not something you use a cutting wheel for. Just use a file or a bench grinder. Do you have tools? Since you're even asking the question, I'm thinking that maybe you don't have the tools to shorten 4 grip screws. I just recently had the same problem with screws for my red dot on a frame mount. I ground 'em down with a bench grinder and then cleaned the edge with a flat hand file.

Actually I shorten a screws all the time on with the sides of a reinforced cutting wheel.
IMG_9592.JPG

Not a standard wheel....

18, 000 rpm removes material real quick.
Slip your screw into a small piece of material to capture it and trim it right down. Touch up the edges with a file.

If you need screws modified just give me a hollar I can do it while you wait.

@CHLChris to shorten a screw up, quick and easy. Make sure your using one of the fiber reinforced wheels only. Standard shatter!

Touch your screw that needs to be trimmed down on the surface marked in yellow. It removes material very fast!

IMG_9611.JPG

I hold the screw with a small piece of spring steel. ( pallet banding )
Brownells sells this exact holder, its called a Screw Gizzie.
IMG_9612.JPG

This method is mentioned in or of the Brownells Gunsmith Kinks books.

I have a piece of plate steel that has 16 different threaded holes in it. When I need to shorted a screw, I screw it all the way into this plate, measure the protrusion, and slowly trim off the excess, keeping the heat down, and checking measurements often.

If my plate is too thick, I use a screw holder like Velzey uses. I also use a reinforced cutting wheel. Works like a champ.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews