JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
*Grrr...* For the father to reach back in a panic with a loaded gun to remove hot brass is appalling--and wimpy!!:mad:

Better to suffer a little sizzle and a scar than let that muzzle stray away from a safe direction. How do I know? Two scars--one on my neck, and one between my...er...on my chest. ;) Of course they hurt like the dickens, but the potential pain/consequence of a negligent discharge is far worse...:(
Just calmly remove the heat while keeping your wits about you. The blisters go away... eventually...:eek:

That's well said! Most all of us have been brass burnt. It happens to ladies all the time! My wife has had more than one burning empty down the blouse before! She quickly but calmly set the weapon down, and then dealt with it. Has this guy never felt pain before? Sad to say, he's feeling a different and much worse pain now.:(
Blessings on the poor lad and his family.

That's the downside of these small bay ranges.

You shoot and your brass deflects. I was discussing this with my wife this morning. While safety was not handled properly, but deflected brass can catch anyone off guard.

My WW2 Remington Rand 1911 consistently rains hot brass straight down on top of my head.
I've gotten use to it, but anyone else shooting it jumps out of surprise.
I don't hand it over anymore.

His story doesn't match up with the story that the news outlet says they got from the Police, but that could mean anything. He's owning it, which is really something considering what he must be going through right now.

Well it said that police got their account from other witnesses that probably didn't see it or got half info from the chaos.
Then as usual the media blasts anything they can as complete truth, until revised

The only time I've seen crap like that it's been from complete noobs/non-gun people.

Worst was taking my mother shooting her new .357 mag revolver... bee, or some other/equally innocuous flying insect flew around somewhere in her general vicinity, and that COCKED revolver loaded lasered me about 10 times before I could get out of there and take cover. Never f'ing took her shooting again.

NEVER.

In gleaning the good from a bad, I plan on adding a warning about hot brass to future range safety briefings...we also have some dividers between lanes in our indoor range, and hot brass attacks regularly...although it happens on the open firing line as well for those who are on the RH side.
I always put my new shooters in a lane on the left--they have enough to think about if this is their first time shooting. Don't want them to have to deal with that startling effect of getting hit by hot brass....:eek:

Good call Monica.
I'm sure the reminder won't hurt. If nothing else let this be a lesson to newcombers. Because if you shoot it will happen. And best to practice putting the firearm down safely, or at very least use your off hand and keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction

That's the downside of these small bay ranges.

You shoot and your brass deflects. I was discussing this with my wife this morning. While safety was not handled properly, but deflected brass can catch anyone off guard.
OK Whippersnappers,
Not everyone all the time will have it all together, otherwise our highways would be a safe place to travel.
I'm a little put off by all the armchair cowboys being so quick to slam this poor guy for what was most likely a purely reflex reaction.
Chances are he's burnt himself worse with a cigarette or spilled coffee, but I'm guessing he was totally focused on what he was about and was surprised by it.

I know for a fact none of you can whip him nearly as hard as he is whipping himself right now and chances are he will give up shooting and it's a distinct possibility his wife could divorce him over it, compounding his misery. I'm sure he will never get over it nor will he stop blaming himself for the rest of his life.

So give the poor guy a little of your pity and understanding, he'll need it! Just for a moment put yourselves in the fathers shoes, there but for the grace of God go I !!

Pray for him and his family, they have a very hard time to live through, if you have ever lost a loved one as I have you know you never get completely over it!
It sound as though the son didn't suffer for it and we can be thankful for that, say a prayer for his soul while you are at it.
Gabby

That's well said! Most all of us have been brass burnt. It happens to ladies all the time! My wife has had more than one burning empty down the blouse before! She quickly but calmly set the weapon down, and then dealt with it. Has this guy never felt pain before? Sad to say, he's feeling a different and much worse pain now.:(
Blessings on the poor lad and his family.

What is wrong with these kids? I have 10 years in the US Marine Corp and another 10 years as a First Response Law Enforcement. What is up with all the killing of Americans by both people for the Middle East and KKK Members dress like police officer!!!

What is wrong with these kids? I have 10 years in the US Marine Corp and another 10 years as a First Response Law Enforcement. What is up with all the killing of Americans by both people for the Middle East and KKK Members dress like police officer!!!
I've re-read your post several times and I must say I have no idea what you're talking about. The thread is about a fellow who accidentally shot his son. What are you trying to say?

Edit: Oh, were you intending to post in this thread? <broken link removed>

Chances are he's burnt himself worse with a cigarette or spilled coffee, but I'm guessing h
I know for a fact none of you can whip him nearly as hard as he is whipping himself right now and chances are he will give up shooting and it's a distinct possibility his wife could divorce him over it, compounding his misery. I'm sure he will never get over it nor will he stop blaming himself for the rest of his life.

So give the poor guy a little of your pity and understanding, he'll need it! Just for a moment put yourselves in the fathers shoes, there but for the grace of God go I !!

Pray for him and his family, they have a very hard time to live through, if you have ever lost a loved one as I have you know you never get completely over it!
It sound as though the son didn't suffer for it and we can be thankful for that, say a prayer for his soul while you are at it.
Gabby

I always say I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes than my own, but my own are better teachers. The father learned a horrible lesson, but we can always learn something from it.

Ideally we should learn from teachers, but the lessons don't stick that well, unfortunately.

I would kill myself if I was in the poor man's shoes. It would be more than I could bear living with. His son was such a fine looking kid. The pain of losing him would be unbearable for a father, in my opinion.

article-range-0704.JPG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top