JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Very sad. Wish it had more details. Can't imagine it being a range issue of the kid shot himself...

You can't save everyone from themselves at all times.

I've never had even a close call, if that's just dumb luck or my time ticking down I'm not sure but I'm going to keep doing things the way I think they should be done and stick with the whole safety first way of going about stuff.

The point of this post?

Accidental/negligent discharges causing death has been dropping in absolute numbers ever since people started keeping track, about a hundred years ago. This despite an ever-increasing population of ever more stupid/propagandized people, along with a huge increase in the number of firearms in America.

In a country of 300+ million, about 7000 die every day from all causes, if I have calculated correctly. Bringing up a single death that happened at a range does not seem to have much of a point, although the gun banners might appreciate it.

It's gun related news and something to possibly remind people getting lazy that bubblegum happens in the best of conditions.

If a 14 yr old died then let's not let it be in total vein and try to hammer in our own safety measures.

Anti gun my arse, they have hordes of people already finding these stories.

Wow, a bullet casing falls in your shirt and you use the gun to remove it? This guy obviously had a kneejerk reaction that was completely stupid. Hindsight is always 20/20, I've had this happen several times, even as a kid and I've never been that absent minded.

For that family especially the kids sister to witness that is horrific.
My heart goes out to the family. I certainly couldn't live with that.

I can't imagine doing something so stupid.

And I posted this, as it should be as a constant reminder to never lose your common sense safety around firearms or get complacent.

It happens all the time, most accidental deaths are due to failing to follow the basic safety rules. These reminders could save someone's life. Or their kids life.

*Grrr...* For the father to reach back in a panic with a loaded gun to remove hot brass is appalling--and wimpy!!:mad:

Better to suffer a little sizzle and a scar than let that muzzle stray away from a safe direction. How do I know? Two scars--one on my neck, and one between my...er...on my chest. ;) Of course they hurt like the dickens, but the potential pain/consequence of a negligent discharge is far worse...:(
Just calmly remove the heat while keeping your wits about you. The blisters go away... eventually...:eek:

I can't for the life of me understand why the first instinct and reaction was not to set the firearm on the table. C**p, removal from the gene pool should be for the ones responsible not for the innocent. Bet this guy and his remaining family will never handle firearms again.

Yeah I just can't comprehend how you would think to use your firearm hand and not your free hand?!
WTF!?

I've had this happen a lot shooting, in the shoe, down the shirt, somehow stays on your hand, or the worst falling between my glasses and my eye!
Luckily it was a quick flick with my FREE hand and no harm done.

I just don't get it

Such a tragic event. I cannot imagine the grief associated with killing your own child. Still, how many kids died this week because their parents neglected them or drove drunk or impaired? This is an anomaly.

Or left them in hot cars?
Man as a parent of young kids I get sick reading the news, everyday it seems like some parent is murdering their child in a horrible way. This guy was obviously trying to teach his kids some good life skills and did something really stupid that caused his childs death.

I feel great pain for the father. I pray his wife has the strength tp hold him and forgive him for taking her son. Let us all pray that the family recovers from this tragedy.
I hope i never ever to read another story like this.

Terribly tragic. I feel bad for the family and their loss. We've all taken a piece of hot brass. As @Monica Cowles points out, the pain is far less than this father now carries.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top