JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys and gals im new to this site but not new to rolling my own.my question is where i can find or if you know a safe charge weight for for 155gr plated flat nose hsm boolits using power pistol or tight group.i just got my first 10mm i havnt reloaded for one yet so any tips would be great.these loads are just for plinking/break in.just havn a hard time finding loads for either of the powders i have in that bullet weight under cast lead velocity.or should i start with max 40sw load data under that weight and powder type for 10mm?thanks for the help and happy shooting.

Use load data for lead bullets of similar design and weight and you will be ok. Alternatively, if you can't find that data for some reason, try loading 10% lighter than jacketed bullets of the same design and weight, never approaching max load. Both of those methods have been posted on plated bullet maker's websites for years. HSM is redesigning their website....again...and that disclaimer is absent for now.
A third alternative is to buy this program http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm which many of us have found to be well worth the money.

Last Edited:
Go get yourself a good manual. Sierras book has tons of recipes using many different powders in comparison to Hornady's or others reloading books.

10mm likes slower powders with heavy boolits. The lighter stuff you can use pretty much any pistol powder.

Once I get home I'll see what I have in the books for 155 grain plated rounds.

Sierra hasn't got data for anything in the 155 grain for 10mm. I didn't find anything using long shot till it got to 180 grainers.

I would compare powder burns. If it is similar to another powder burn rate wise, you could work up something.

ya i think i will save the longshot for the real loads and burn up the power pistol.its just so hard to find pistol powder i hate to use the powder i use for 9mm for idpa uspsa

Well, here's Hodgdon's data for the loads they do list:

longshot_zps26e58390.jpg

I guess you could extrapolate.

I could model it up in QuickLOAD, but it would be for "illustration only" ;)

not sure what extrapolate meanso_O but would love the illustration,i need to try quickload never messed with it before,but ive heard alot of people talk about it.probably great for obsolete stuff.thanks for the help.

Are you certain they're 155gr?

Was searching the interwebs for bullet length, was only able to find 165gr & up.
yea im a n idiot got home today to set up my new bullet feeder lokked up at the box of bullets and a big ol 165 caught my eye.so your research was correct.on another note i picked up 2 more pounds of powder longshot and wsf.do you know if wsf is any good.

OK, I'll delete the post above with 155gr data - will repost with 165gr.

yea im a n idiot got home today to set up my new bullet feeder lokked up at the box of bullets and a big ol 165 caught my eye.so your research was correct.on another note i picked up 2 more pounds of powder longshot and wsf.do you know if wsf is any good.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top