JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see them getting blasted on YouTube and on TV and it looks like great fun. I've never seen any in the PNW.
Thank god they have not spread here yet. I have seen some video of them being shot from helicopter even. This of course is a VERY expensive way to get them but some farmers and such are getting desperate. Some places come out and trap them but because they are smart the set up takes a long time to do to catch them. They also seem to learn and then get harder to get next time. This makes that costly too.

Thank god they have not spread here yet. I have seen some video of them being shot from helicopter even. This of course is a VERY expensive way to get them but some farmers and such are getting desperate. Some places come out and trap them but because they are smart the set up takes a long time to do to catch them. They also seem to learn and then get harder to get next time. This makes that costly too.

There are some vids of different traps and techniques and some would seem effective - although maybe more expensive. The ones I think might be effective are the large gated corral traps with night cams that transmit to a smartphone, and then when they are inside, the gates are dropped by remote control on the phone. Then someone goes out and shoots them. But it takes some thought, experience and investment in equipment and time.

These guys:

Wild Hog Control, Hunting and Trapping | JAGER PRO™

There are some vids of different traps and techniques and some would seem effective - although maybe more expensive. The ones I think might be effective are the large gated corral traps with night cams that transmit to a smartphone, and then when they are inside, the gates are dropped by remote control on the phone. Then someone goes out and shoots them. But it takes some thought, experience and investment in equipment and time.

These guys:

Wild Hog Control, Hunting and Trapping | JAGER PRO™

Yep, that shows just how much work goes into this. Notice the "wiser" pigs learning too. As the pigs learn the hunters have to keep getting better. That and the way they seem to breed like rabbits are why in some places these are becoming such a nasty problem.

Yes, pigs are smart. But these traps and the techniques seem the most effective way to control them. Random shooting over bait or open fields at night or from helos seems to me to do little good in the long run. As they show in the vid (if you watch it all and some of their other vids), their approach seems to get as many as possible with few if any escaping. By getting all of the group they prevent others from learning over time.

In the vids I watched several times they had a hunter come out and shoot the ones outside the trap after trapping almost all of them - sometimes one or two or three outside - and then they shoot the ones caught in the trap. I think I recall that once or twice they had to go back and hunt others down.

But just shooting five or six out of a group of 30 or 40, just moves them around. And the guy who narrates the vids talks about this problem in one of the vids. Ditto with the singular traps.

Last Edited:
my order came in today, 3 boxes. Other than to just shoot a mag to see how they feed I'm not certain what else to do to rate them. I wish I had some ballistic gelatin or some way to see 1st hand their penetration and expansion.... these are soft lead, my guess is they are supposed to mushroom similar to a rifle bullet for hunting. Given their cost I tend to stockpile ammo like this and will just carry a mag worth of these for deer hunting. I think for bear or hog defense I'm still going only with Doubletap hardcast.

Finally actually shot a box of these Trophy Bonded Soft Points today. Accuracy-wise, my test wasn't scientific, but they shot every bit as well as any other 10mm ammo. Compared to some Remington ball ammo I also shot today, the increased recoil was obvious, but still not bad.

What WAS interesting...Shooting the Trophy Bonded ammo, I experienced my first failure with my Ruger 1911 10mm. A stove pipe with a live round.:confused: Cleared the pistol and resumed firing with no other malfunctions.
a stovepipe with a live round? Id be curious to learn what causes that. Sounds like it bounced up off the frame feedramp too much. This could be because of its flat tip gives it an edge to catch on. Im assuming your gun is fairly new too so the frames ramp might not be worn down from feeding rounds. No idea if yours has a fully ramped barrel... (?)

the few times Ive spent the money to shoot premium 10mm hunting rounds Ive always found the recoil to be manageable and not really much more than any 45acp or watered down 10mm stuff. Its surprising anyways considering the extra energy and feet per second a full pressure 10mm generates I suspect it comes from better powder technology burns smoother but I don't know.

What WAS interesting...Shooting the Trophy Bonded ammo, I experienced my first failure with my Ruger 1911 10mm. A stove pipe with a live round.:confused: Cleared the pistol and resumed firing with no other malfunctions.

I'd be curious about that, too, especially if the gun had been perfect before (like many Rugers). I would treat one occurrence as a fluke, but you can bet yer butt I'd be watching for another.
How seriously I would treat this issue depends on the gun's purpose, target, hunting or protection. There's some latitude in the first two groups, not so much in the latter.

As far as the tip of the bullet being flat...It's no more so than any other of the 10mm ammo I've shot, ball or hollow point.
its like a FMJ round nose ground flat, makes a difference... the 1911 was designed to shoot round nose ball ammo only.

I loved watching this video, this guy has some pretty great stuff.

As for my choice, i'll take the economical approach and go with a .45cal in an auto (already have guns for that anyway). However, after somebody tried to pull an auto from my hands to show me the gripping power at a shop, i've decided a high caliber revolver would be best. I mean, what if I don't have clearance for the slide and short stroke. Five in the beast is better than 15 in the mag. Also, a couple first hand accounts of a cougar taking 15 rounds of 9mm have me pretty convinced I should be getting a .357 mag (plus, having a levergun to match is pretty cool).

Edit: call me a sucker for the classics!

I'd be curious about that, too, especially if the gun had been perfect before (like many Rugers). I would treat one occurrence as a fluke, but you can bet yer butt I'd be watching for another.
How seriously I would treat this issue depends on the gun's purpose, target, hunting or protection. There's some latitude in the first two groups, not so much in the latter.

There's now a little more to this story. Finished shooting yesterday with no apparent additional failures. Went shooting again today to duplicate the stoppage, which I could not, until all of a sudden the slide would not go into battery.

Stripped it down, and here's what I found...
P1050338.jpg

P1050339.jpg

P1050341.jpg

This begs the question, was the barrel flawed and prone to failure, and it just took time to happen, or was this Trophy Bonded ammo too much? I'll never know, but Ruger has already sent me a return shipping label.

Last Edited:
Like for customer service from Ruger!
I guess you can try again, if I was still under warranty I would. Maybe... it would be interesting to know.

i don't suspect the ammo was a problem in itself, other than being towards the upper end of performance, and this particular gun wasn't up to it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top