JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am seriously looking to purchase a new AR in the near future and I have been doing research but it is not conclusive. I'd be interested to hear from various people here which of these rifles they believe is of superior construction, mil-spec compliant, best accuracy, highest quality components, etc. The Daniel Defense M4 has caught my eye and I have heard only good things about it, but since it is newer, it is not easy to get any comprehensive analysis from the web on this rifle. I would call the company, but never really trust a vendor versus a third party source.

I have been hearing some not good things about the Colt 6940. I hear the rail construction and the components included in Colt's tactical rifle are sub-par. People have been saying that the rail, flip up sights and their monolithic rail system doesn't match up in quality to that of the Daniel Defense or LMT. I don't know the technical details but from reading reviews from some more knowledgable people, they disturbed me.

So, which of these tactical AR guns would you consider to be the most superior quality:
1. Daniel Defense DDM4
2. Colt 6940
3. LMT MRP
4. Noveske (Light Recce N4, Cannot afford their higher end models, I don't think)
5. Les Baer
6. LaRue AR
7. YHM
8. Other?

Please also tell me your 2nd favorite too.

boy u just opened a big can of worms

its about personal preference i think as those are all top notch makers

and you did not mention the hk416 (we can at least dream)

Customer service is usually good with any company cause they want you to buy from them that is until there is a problem then its a matter of how well they take of it .

but then again there should not be a problem in the first place if its a high end product.

a true test is when the buyer screws up and the company does all that it can to help out that's customer service. and how well and patient they are when being asked questions

bad customer service is when the manufacturer sells a defective product and tries to blame the problem on the buyer .

You Forgot about H&K!!! I personaly would consider them above all. Outside of the "HK-proprietary gas piston system"

<broken link removed>

:s0148:

So, which of these tactical AR guns would you consider to be the most superior quality:
1. Daniel Defense DDM4
2. Colt 6940
3. LMT MRP
4. Noveske (Cannot afford this one, but just interested).
5. Les Baer
6. LaRue AR
7. YHM
8. Other?

Please also tell me your 2nd favorite too.

I didn't forget the H&K, I just really cannot afford it, but I will go ahead and include it in the list if it makes people feel better. :winkkiss: Yeah, I could have easily put a list of gas piston guns, LWRC, Robinson Armament, Sig Swat, etc , etc.. But, these gas piston guns are pretty out of my price range. Please, feel free to include whatever you like.

One needs to look at production practices, and what materials are used.

With most companies, they batch pressure test parts...meaning they will take 1-2 parts out of a batch of say 25-50 parts, and test them. With Colt, every part that falls under pressure requirements is tested.

Most AR's look alike, but once you start checking under the hood...then differences are found.

Most of Noveske's small parts and receivers parts are made by Stag.

Some barrels are Military Specification steel, while others are not.

Most of these models you mention, I've not had on my bench.

I guess it will boil down to what your application is. What are wanting to do with it, and what are your honest expectations of rounds thru it in any given year.

With most companies, they batch pressure test parts...meaning they will take 1-2 parts out of a batch of say 25-50 parts, and test them. With Colt, every part that falls under pressure requirements is tested.

Most AR's look alike, but once you start checking under the hood...then differences are found.

I guess it will boil down to what your application is. What are wanting to do with it, and what are your honest expectations of rounds thru it in any given year.

:s0155:

What about the SR-556? I handled one the other day, and while I'm far from any kind of authority on AR-15 style rifles, it sure seemed to be a quality piece. I think that Fisherman's was asking $1699 and a guy posted on here one for $1590 ish.

I like MarkSBG's post! :s0155:

I just called and talked to Noveske. Of course, they claim to be the best. The cust service rep onthe phone said comparing a Noveske to a Colt was like comparing a Lexus to a Toyota. Price wise, I think she may have been right. I asked them specifically if their receivers are modified from another manufacturer or if they build them from raw parts and they promised me that they were manufactured originally in their factory. They claim they have military contracts and that their parts are beyond what a Colt

Is this all BS? Perhaps it is.. I have heard some who swear by them.

Do you have any comments on the LMT MRP Defender? I have heard only good things about this gun and that it is superior quality. Would you say that the LMT MRP would surpass the Colt 6920 in quality? I have heard a lot of gripes about the exterior components, like rails, sites on the 6940. What would you think of Colt compared to LMT in these models?

What about the SR-556? I handled one the other day, and while I'm far from any kind of authority on AR-15 style rifles, it sure seemed to be a quality piece. I think that Fisherman's was asking $1699 and a guy posted on here one for $1590 ish.

I was about ready to buy the SR-556, but after reading a lot of informaiton about the gun I decided to pass. The problem with it is it is too new and the quality control of a Ruger gun has not been the best in the past. Also, some are claiming that gas pison guns are more risky to own versus DI becaues the system in an AR type gun has not been throughly abuse tested over the years like the DI. I am still opened to getting an affordable GP gun that has enough field testing behind it. But the reputable ones like LWRC and Robinson XCR I think are well out of my price range.

On second thought, I probably can afford the XCR if I can find a good deal. Any thoughts on the XCR compared to the Colt 6920 or LMT?

I talked with Jim in the plant, I asked him point blank who made their LPK's and Lower receivers...he said most comes from STAG, and the other company just up the street from Stag...can't remember the company name right off.
Please someone chime in with it. The guy that owns STAG, Joh Downey is the son of the guy that owns the other company. The have their plants both on the same street...I wanna say John Downey Sr.? Just can't remember the name of his plant. anyway.....

I haven't seen up close a Ruger....I chalk up new products like computer software, don't get 1.0...wait til 3.5+ comes out.

Noveske may have Military contracts, but one needs more info. with that answer...Military contract(s) to make what? Parts? Whole guns? If so, exactly what parts and what model guns are they making for the Military. She was too vague with that answer.

I know that Colt pressure tests their barrels and components to withstand very high pressures, much higher than industry standard for the 5.56 round. The “C” means the barrel passed all Colt quality control checks and the MP certifies that the barrel passed high-pressure testing and magnetic particle inspection.

I guess I would start asking pointed questions to the makers. Do they batch test parts, or is everything tested.

LMT and S&W rate pretty good with a Colt. Both do not batch test, and try as they can to follow Military Specs as written.

If you want to keep up on current info. as the models come out, there's a thread over on M4Carbine.net , where there's the ongoing, many page, up front and honest discussion of the quality of different makes of AR/M4's.
Its very long, but very in depth, and well put together.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642&highlight=chart

Do people think Robinson XCR would be a better option for the price than the rest listed here? I was told its a very high quality rifle and uses the gas piston system. Also, its price is not outrageous, I have seen some for around $1500.

What are people's opinions of Next Generation Arms? I have been checking out there website, but there guns look a bit to spendy for me, $2000+ for the cool tactical guns which I would like.

Is LMT MPR really a better gun overall than Colt 6940 or 6920 with upgraded rail system? I have seen these for over $2000, but for as little as $1700 (not all that little. LOL)

In my opinion...Noveske. I like his poly barrel, his customer service and if I do have a problem with his products, John is only 30 minutes away! No shipping!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top