JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my understanding of the law, its illegal for a person under 21 purchase a handgun but it is legal for them to own a handgun. So options I see are:
1. handgun being gifted to minor
2. A FTF transaction.

Last Edited:
Thanks guys. I was also wondering if I could trade my handgun for another handgun? If I did the deal with a private seller who wasnt a FFL and who was a Oregon resident.

13-3109. Sale or gift of firearm to minor; classification

A. Except as provided in subsection C of this section, a person who sells or gives to a minor, without written consent of the minor's parent or legal guardian, a firearm, ammunition or a toy pistol by which dangerous and explosive substances may be discharged is guilty of a class 6 felony.

B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to require reporting sales of firearms, nor shall registration of firearms or firearms sales be required.

C. The temporary transfer of firearms and ammunition by firearms safety instructors, hunter safety instructors, competition coaches or their assistants shall be allowed if the minor's parent or guardian has given consent for the minor to participate in activities such as firearms or hunting safety courses, firearms competition or training. With the consent of the minor's parent or guardian, the temporary transfer of firearms and ammunition by an adult accompanying minors engaged in hunting or formal or informal target shooting activities shall be allowed for those purposes.

Funny thing the "line" of being a minor... or not... at 18 you can join the military and kill (or die) for your country, you can enter into a binding contract, you can be tried as an adult and sent to "big-boy" prison, by a long-gun, even vote, but you can't COMMERCIALLY by a handgun (and I believe handgun ammo... don't hold me to that) until you are 21. I actually believe in the 21 drinking age... saw too many 17-18 year olds turn into overnight alcoholics while overseas in the Army... again, a convoluted line to "come of age".

Well after getting a good laugh from ATF, they gave me an answer. You can trade that handgun to another Oregon resident over the age of 18. I cannot as a dealer but you can as a non-dealer. LOL

Why did you get a good laugh? If it is legal in the state of oregon for me to own a handgun, why not? The law is the law and I do respect the law. I do understand why some people would not feel comfortable to trade. If ATF says it is OK, I think nobody should have anything to worry about.

I got a good laugh because as a dealer we are held to different standards. Even ATF laughed at the law. You cannot purchase a handgun or ammo until the age of 21, but you can have one and even sell or trade it. And yes there are still rules as to whom you can sell or trade it to.

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Laws are pretty scrambled up huh? Am I right about this.....I have to buy ammo for my handguns privately? or from a private seller? Can maybe a close friends father gift me ammo for my handguns legally? Just wondering what if they changed the law? could they take my guns? or would I have to trade for a shoulder fired rifle?

but you can't COMMERCIALLY by a handgun (and I believe handgun ammo... do hold me to that) until you are 21

Stomper almost correct. The 18 yo cannot walk into WalMart and buy HANDGUN ammo, but on his 21st birthday he can. EXCEPTION, sort of.... if he states the specific ammo he is wanting to purchase is for a LONG GUN, they have to sell it him, as he CAN buy ammo for a long gun. Say, he wants .357, typically for a revolver. HOWEVER, Browning and I think Marlin (and maybe others) make lever action tube-fed long guns for .357 ammo... I HAVE one, a Browning Model 92. I've also got a Browning Model 92 Centennial, chambered for the much larger .44 magnum. Not sure of other calibers, how many typically pistol rounds might also have a long gun made to fire them.
SO... if our hero walks into WalMart and is wanting .357 ammunition, claiming it is for a Browning Lever Action Model 92, a long gun, they cannot deny him it. (they may try, but it would be outside the law). Perhaps having a copy of the relevant CFR in hand would help).

Now, once having a pistol, our eighteen year old can certainly fire it.... I believe it is only the dealers who are prohibited from selling him PISTOL ammunition. Private party very probably could do so. Or a private table at a gun show. (a commercial licensed FFL ammo dealer would be bound by the "its for a pistol, so you can't BUY it from me" routine.....)

I am not positive about the private sale stuff, but I do know the prohibition against selling pistol ammo to an 18 yo is in the CFR relating to what a FFL Dealer can/cannot sell and to whom.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top