JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So GF had two kids and as always dead beat dad fell through again.

Youngest kid wants to go hunting and was to get his NEF (I think) youth .410 back from his dad's and not going to happen now.

Anyhow he also wants to try deer hunting. Did a quick search and will search more but are there any readily available (less then 2 weeks) .410/243 combo guns that fit a youth? I know NEF and Rossi make all kinds of switchable barrels.

It looks like 243/20ga is semi easy to come by. I have very little experience with 20ga. Would it be overkill for forest grouse?

The 20 is a fine gauge for upland birds. 7/8oz for the small birds and 1oz or up to 1.25oz for spooky ringnecks. My 20s have served me well. Its cheaper to feed than a 28 and lighter to carry than a 12. Ducks and turkey your kind of limited but it will still work.
A Sears single shot 20 was my first deer and bird gun.
More kids in the wood the better!

I would shy away from the rossi and lean towards the NEF. The NEFs are a lot better quality but they do have tight chambers (fail to extract) on the shotgun barrels a little 600 grit polishing in the first 3/4 in of the chamber will take care of it. 20g is perfect for grouse I use a 12 just so I don't have to hoard more than 1 variety :s0159:

I use and like a 20 ga. on grouse. Works just fine. Ammo is cheap and abundant. .243 is a fine deer slayer with low recoil. Sounds like a good choice to me for a boy. Hats off to you for standing up and watching out for the boy and that he gets raised right. Takes a real man to do that especially when they aren't yours....biologically anyway. I'm stepping in for my grandson in light of the fact that his sperm donor is absent from the boy's life. ( Thank God or the belief system of your choice )

Clambo

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR