JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For years we have set our carry guns on the entertainment center at the end of the day. These days there very well may be a 4 year old or two running around the house. In those instances we just lock the guns up in the safe. Because spinning a tumbler isn't something that can be done in a moments notice, and since it's likely to be much worse under stress, I am looking into a quick access, secure safe for stashing the handguns.

Anyone have any experience with these they can share?

I use one of the GunVault (Gun Safes - Home Gun Safe - Handgun Safes | GunVault | GunVault) safes cabled to my chair in the family room and another cabled to the bed frame in our bed room. They will not stop any one determined to steal it; but, they will stop kids or visitors from getting to the gun. IF I am going to be out of the house for any length of time, I put the guns away in a "real" safe.
How useful it would be in a fast moving, stressful moment when you really needed the weapon, I can't say. They take 5 to 10 seconds to get into.
Ed

I would look at consumer evaluations. I have heard stories about safes not granting access when people most need access. A simple key around your neck is hard to beat...and it works. The electronics can't run out of power, you can't forget the combination, and the contacts on the finger button ones can't go bad on a key entry safe.

I would look at consumer evaluations. I have heard stories about safes not granting access when people most need access. A simple key around your neck is hard to beat...and it works. The electronics can't run out of power, you can't forget the combination, and the contacts on the finger button ones can't go bad on a key entry safe.

I can't really argue with NoOne. However, both of the GunVaults I use have low battery indicators and I have never had any problem with the keypads. IF you put a gun in one and just forget it, I can see all of the sited problems ocurring.

I have one I bought at Harbor Freight many years ago. A lot of their stuff is junk but this safe works very well and lives on my nightstand. It has an easy to use keypad on the front with a key lock as a backup. It beeps and a light comes on when the battery gets low, I have only replaced the batteries once in about 10 years. A burglar could walk away with it, but I keep my two cheapest guns (a Kel Tec P11 and a Taurus 651 revolver) in there for "home defense" while my more expensive guns live in a vault. If my dogs wake me up at night or I hear a noise, it only takes me a few seconds to sit up, turn the lamp on, enter the 4 digit code, and access the weapon. Its great peace of mind for keeping the weapons secure from children.

My brother and father both use the Gunvault SpeedVault: Gunvault SpeedVault SVB500 gun safe - Amazon.com

They use the biometric reader version (the one in the link) though there is a model made with a 4-button keypad as well. With the 4-button version, it's more about remembering a pattern of button presses rather than looking for numbers on a keypad, something you can do in the dark. The nice thing is that both models have an override key in the event the battery were to fail. I've talked to them both about their bedside safes and they both love them. I'm planning to get 2 myself, one for my side of the bed, one for my wife's side. I just haven't decided on biometric or keypad.

Keeping the guns away from kids is an obviously great idea, and I would prefer to have them locked in a gun vault I can't access, than to have them available to kids and then have to live with some awful occurrence. I think I would prefer my unarmed chances with burglar than to live with being responsible for a kid being shot.

I've had a few GunVaults over the years. They've all done their job successfully and would recommend to anyone looking for something to keep the firearm locked up.

In the vehicles Gunvault NV200. Cable loops under the seat frame.
As engr4 said in post 2, not a bank vault, but unless thief has steel cable cutter, it's not going anywhere.
A screwdriver or prybar won't open it. I changed the locks to Keyed alike so the same key fits every one.

In the house Gunvault GV1000C, 4 number combination or key.

In the Garage Cannon 24 vault, 1/4 inch steel all around, 750 lb empty. Purchased 1983 (the new ones are 12 ga steel).

Even a bicycle cable lock through the magazine well and going out the ejection port will secure the firearm so children can't easily access and fire it. So there are plenty of ways to secure a firearm from a child. I think you are looking for something that will both secure the firearm while adding rapid access under a stressful contition, usually in the dark..

The kinds of reports you are getting here are precisely the sorts of things I was suggesting earlier. I have no idea if the complaints I had heard about were urban legends, disgruntled customers, or a pattern of poor performance. From the responses here, it seems that most of the ones recommended here work well enough for serious consideration when making a purchase.

Keeping the guns away from kids is an obviously great idea, and I would prefer to have them locked in a gun vault I can't access, than to have them available to kids and then have to live with some awful occurrence. I think I would prefer my unarmed chances with burglar than to live with being responsible for a kid being shot.
It's obvious we have similar sentiments on this subject. I know from first hand experience about curious kids, supposedly secure firearms and "accidents". We will not have that happen in this house. This is exactly why I'm looking for opinions.

For years we have set our carry guns on the entertainment center at the end of the day. These days there very well may be a 4 year old or two running around the house. In those instances we just lock the guns up in the safe. Because spinning a tumbler isn't something that can be done in a moments notice, and since it's likely to be much worse under stress, I am looking into a quick access, secure safe for stashing the handguns.

Anyone have any experience with these they can share?
just make sure you do your home work. I've seen tons of video on a bunch of safe brands that 2-4 year old kids were able to break into under seconds.

I've had the GunVault MicroVault for the past four years (which is the age of our child). It hasn't failed (yet) and is pretty handy for temporary storage of handguns (I have a safe where they normally live). We have a cabin and it's small enough to slide into my bag and take with us when we go up there.

I don't think the keypad is as precise as the one on my safe - I find i have to be very deliberate with the GunVault to make it open (if that makes any sense). I find it's just a tad slower to open as a result.

I just bought a Bulldog Vaults from Costco, haven't really decided if I'm going to keep it due to it's large size. Made to hold at least two handguns, one on each shelf.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top