JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
XD s are great guns, go to a range that let's you handle and shoot as many different pistols as you can. There are many good ones out there. I've had Glocks, XDs and M&Ps, and not one of them has failed or jammed on me. let him try them and he'll find out what he likes. Me, personally, big fan of the M&Ps. The bore axis is pretty high on the XDs and Glocks really don't fit my hand. Just me talking here

Some good suggestions from folks already. I'll echo what a few have said - let him go to a range that rents guns and try them first. If the grip doesn't fit his hand well, you'll know when you shoot it. I don't personally care for the Springfield grips, which is why I prefer the S&W M&P models. I have friends that own Springfields (XDM's and XDS) and really love them. It's a personal preference.

Also, what does he want the gun for? Personal home defense? Target shooting? Concealed carry? I made a mistake when I bought my first handgun that I intended to conceal carry and bought a gun that was way too big. I was never able to successfully conceal it, which kept me from carrying. I finally sold that pistol (which I really like for comfort and shooting, BTW) and bought a much smaller, reliable pistol that became very easy to carry every day. Reliability is really #1 if he plans to use it for home defense or concealed carry. There are plenty of great guns from S&W, Springfield, Glock, Sig, Ruger and others. There are some manufacturers that are more prone to malfunctions - some would probably drive you away from Kel-Tec, for example for just that reason. If all he plans to do is target shooting, then whatever is comfortable and accurate would work well. I would also keep in mind if he plans to shoot often, it will be less expensive to shoot a 9mm than a .45acp - just something to consider. The type of ammo may also affect how he feels when he shoots the gun. He may not like the snappiness of a .40, but might like the feel of the 9mm or .45acp.

Just be sure to give him a chance to shoot the gun before you buy. That could save you some hassle and some $$. I don't know the ranges in the Salem area, but I'm sure there must be at least one with guns to rent.

You can't go wrong by following the above recommendations. I second them because I've made them myself with good results.
Gabby

If you really love him, get him the XDM version of the pistol you want to get for him. Just a little more, and whole lot more nicer. :)

I cant stress this point enough, if you are going the XD route and there is a version in XDM, get that. I love both my XD and my XDM's win hands down if you aren't looking for a specific need.

The barrel, the sights the feel. Great versions of the XD.

XD's & XDM's are both great guns, I really like all the safety features that both share. I and many others like myself own many different guns, and I will admit to almost never carrying my XD 40.
I used it last to pass my CCW permit, because I know I can trust it 100%, but I currently carry my FN 5.7x28 handgun, because it just seems like a better overall package, what with it's 30 round magazine. My XD 40 only holds 12 rounds, so you can see how I would feel more comfortable with an extra 18+ rounds.
Might I suggest not using the Winchester white box ammo, I watched a fellow blow up his XDM-40 one day with a round of poorly made winchester white box ammo, the 'loaded indicator'
actually blew out of he gun & embedded itself in his forehead, lots of blood!

My DW and I have had our XDs for five years and I carry mine every day. I have put over 4000 rounds through it and have never had a jam or FTF. They are simple to break down for cleaning and as reliable as any gun I have owned. I also have an H&K -P30L setting right next to me but when I go out the XD is on my hip.

Oh nose!

XDM fan boys:s0001:

A great friend but no gun guru has to tell me all the time about how good his xdm .45 is. Even got his dad to buy the 9mm version.

Oh and it has a trigger safety and a grip safety and a drop safety and a loaded indicator so you know if your own gun is loaded or not.... And on and on.

I grab a $250 SCCY and say, mine doesn't have any of that garbage and runs like a top...

I'll be going from 10+1 to a 6 shot revolver in the near future.

Just giving y'all Springfield owners some grief cuz it sounds like what everyone said about the glock for the first 10 years they were out:). Keep and use what you shoot best;)

I like guns, pretty much all of them. so when I want a new gun I use the "Goldielocks" method. I decide the specs of what I want. The last one was a full sizes metal framed 40S&W. Then I go to a gun store with lots of choices like Sportsmans Warehouse and pick up and sight down the barrel of a bunch of choices. Somewhere in that process I'll find the one that fits my hand well and comes up to to where I don't need to find the sites, they are just there. Ie, "just right". Interestingly this last one i thought I wanted a Sig or HK but came home with a Beretta instead, something that wasn't even on my radar.

Oh nose!

XDM fan boys:s0001:

A great friend but no gun guru has to tell me all the time about how good his xdm .45 is. Even got his dad to buy the 9mm version.

Oh and it has a trigger safety and a grip safety and a drop safety and a loaded indicator so you know if your own gun is loaded or not.... And on and on.

I grab a $250 SCCY and say, mine doesn't have any of that garbage and runs like a top...

I'll be going from 10+1 to a 6 shot revolver in the near future.

Just giving y'all Springfield owners some grief cuz it sounds like what everyone said about the glock for the first 10 years they were out:). Keep and use what you shoot best;)

OMG Joe13,
Please don't brag about owning a SKYY 9mm. That's like me feeling the pride of ownership
cause I just scored a Hi Point anygun...

Hey,

If I can carve a pumpkin with a butter knife then that seems worth bragging about:p.

I know hi points are the dregs of the gun world but just because it's inexpensive doesn't make it a carp gun. This thing however is a quality piece that I have many replacements for of higher dollar value but choose to take this instead.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying one but I wouldn't knock it till you've tried it.

I am only waiting for his birthday because I am running out of good gift ideas. Thanks to everyone for their input and I have made a choice. I am going with the Smith and Wesson M&P in .40 S&W. I value everyone's opinions, but I have had the opportunity to shoot most of the weapons mentioned since I originally posted. I don't any of them would have been a bad choice.

Some things I didn't mention in my original post: This is not his first firearm, just the first handgun that he owns on his own. He is an accomplished shooter and even shot competitively for a few years.

I took a Chipmunk Rifle to the hospital for him when he was born (we have three daughters so I was kind of excited!), and he owns a Beretta Xtrema 2, a Savage M99 in .300 Savage, a Mosin-Nagant and a 10/22. He is a big guy at 6'4" and 195 so I don't think recoil will be an issue. He has done a lot of handgun shooting with many of mine and likes my S&W 4013 so I think this is going to work.

He is in Iowa now going to college on a baseball scholarship and we miss him terribly so I thought this would be a nice gift when he comes home. Thanks again to everyone for your opinions, they were well thought out and with good reason in every case. It is nice to have access to this many informed opinions.

Semper Fi

I was all set to join in on the XDm praise sing-a-long but found this post that you've already made your choice. An M&P is a fine choice. Since he's shot competition, why not consider a $3k race gun? ;o}

You're a good father to give him this gift.

This is ultimately the reason why I sold my XDM. Great gun and quality is on point. just couldn't get over this part.
Really?
I'm doubting that you can tell that much of a difference. Must be a whopping 1
.25 inches?:confused:o_O
I am no where near an expert and have always found it fairly easy to move any handgun around in my hand to make it work for me.Except for a friend's 480

I have found it quite fun reading this. I have to toss in my hat here though. I have seen the 1911 platform go both directions with first time shooters/owners. some take to them like a fish to water, while some hate them right off and would never ever own one! For a first gun, I like the Smith a bit better. As a person learns and grows in his or her experience they will develop there own ideas of what there ideal would/should be. Then is when the 1911 really comes into play (at least in my opinion) I own glocks, smith's, a few Walther's and others, but my main is and will always be a 2011 version of the 1911. Its when a person learns to appreciate what the 1911 is and what it can do, that is when you make the move to that platform! Then hopefully they become an addict like many of us here, and cant get enough of the 1911 fix!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top