JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you like the kid, buy him a new HK45 Tactical with the threaded barrel.
If you really love him, also get him a Silencerco Osprey Suppressor to hang on the end of it.

If you like the kid, buy him a new HK45 Tactical with the threaded barrel.
If you really love him, also get him a Silencerco Osprey to hang on the end of it.

nah, I'd go with the fnx tactical, rmr and the osprey... I hate that HK does not provide a barrel thread nut and uses a metric thread pitch...

I have XDm's in both 9mm and .45 ACP. I also have full-size and compact. I've had no problems with any of them.

As stated before, what matters more is what "fits" your son. Go to a range with rentals and have him try several XDm's, Glocks, and more.

Peter

Just don't over pay for brand names..
They're just as prone to failure and in some cases manufacture defect as any other.
Although HKs don't seem to have those issues, same with Sigs.
But proprietary magazines keep me away from those.

Id say get something with common mags and possible parts so he can tinker if he wants and purchase magazines readily.

Magazine cost is something most folks look over.
When I buy magazines I seek to purchase 5-10 at a time for most pistol and rifle platforms. (Unless testing out a new aftermarket brand)

And lastly, check and see if there is an abundance of holster options for said pistol..
Something a few of my oddball pistols lack.
Im a huge Serpa CQC fan and I really like the paddle lock system but there are a few pistols out there they don't tailor to.

A 1911 is always a fantastic choice.
A glock
XDM
M&P
92FS

All common with common parts (mostly), mags and retention systems.
I would suggest a smaller frame or compact for his first seeing how hes 21 so he could go for his CHL if he desired and still utilize the same pistol you purchased him. A Glock 19 would be ideal. :)

Ill put my two cents in and leave it at that. I know a few have stressed their opinion and the response to this thread has been amazing. But the 1st thing I was taught when I first started looking at handguns. Comfort is probably the biggest factor in buying a gun. Its all about what feels good to your son. Because of this I cant stand glocks they dont feel good in my hand. In my opinion the second thing I was taught to look at when buying is how easy is it to pull apart and clean? have the guy at the gun counter break it down for you. If it looks like a pain in the butt for him to do it. Chances are you will have a more difficult time than he did. The next thing you need to know is what is it going to be used for? Like many others on this thread have asked whats the purpose of this weapon. If he wants to conceal carry I would go with a subcompact, over full size. I personally own a FNX 40. I love that gun and would buy it over any other 40 out there. However concealing it is kind of difficult. Its the same size as the xd/xdm 40, its doable but isnt super comfortable.

All in all its really going to be up to him on what he wants and what is comfortable to him. I would say take him to the range and have him try out a few different weapons. If you want to come up to Clackamas one day I will gladly let you and your son put a box or two of ammo through my FNX 40.

Semper Fi and good luck.
AJ

stick with the glock there are so many aftermarket inexpensive parts for them he can customize to his hearts content
personally i feel that the compact ones are the way to go there is less flip to the barrel when shooting
alot of guys say they can get back on target quicker too

I'm sure with the age on this your decision has been made already.
A gun is a very personal object & since you want him to enjoy & use it you should allow him to make the decision once you have set a price point. If you wanna take the time you'd prolly enjoy palling around with your boy at a place where they rent a few guns he might enjoy.

Your son already let you know what he wants, I am sure he has done his own research and made his decision on that research. the one thing he left open for discussion is which cal. to get. that should be the question and you would get answers for the 40 & 45

Semper Fi

Www.thebaronsden.com

Great range to rent firearms with a very large selection to choose from just off I-5 in Springfield. I have driven there from the coast several times to compare different pistols before purchasing one.
Along the lines of the XDm's I fully agree with the other posts about how nice they are. I have a bitone stainless 4.5" .40 S&W and a compact .45 acp and really enjoy both.

Good luck with your purchase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My 02 and my opinion is so great it is really worth 03. My son now 22 has shot 9mm, 40S@W and 45. No biggie 21 year olds are tough and none of the calibers will make a difference to you son in a pistol he likes . That being said the older I get the more 9mm seems the best choice,though there always seems to be 40S@W on the shelf. I would treasure the time and take your son out shopping for a gun and buy what ever he likes.

1) Why wait till he's 21?

2) I think you cant go wrong with any of the brands/ models listed so far. My personal choice would be a glock 19. I had the 23 w/ a conversion barrel but I got rid of it cause I wanted to stick to 9mm.

1) Why wait till he's 21?

2) I think you cant go wrong with any of the brands/ models listed so far. My personal choice would be a glock 19. I had the 23 w/ a conversion barrel but I got rid of it cause I wanted to stick to 9mm.

I am only waiting for his birthday because I am running out of good gift ideas. Thanks to everyone for their input and I have made a choice. I am going with the Smith and Wesson M&P in .40 S&W. I value everyone's opinions, but I have had the opportunity to shoot most of the weapons mentioned since I originally posted. I don't any of them would have been a bad choice.

Some things I didn't mention in my original post: This is not his first firearm, just the first handgun that he owns on his own. He is an accomplished shooter and even shot competitively for a few years.

I took a Chipmunk Rifle to the hospital for him when he was born (we have three daughters so I was kind of excited!), and he owns a Beretta Xtrema 2, a Savage M99 in .300 Savage, a Mosin-Nagant and a 10/22. He is a big guy at 6'4" and 195 so I don't think recoil will be an issue. He has done a lot of handgun shooting with many of mine and likes my S&W 4013 so I think this is going to work.

He is in Iowa now going to college on a baseball scholarship and we miss him terribly so I thought this would be a nice gift when he comes home. Thanks again to everyone for your opinions, they were well thought out and with good reason in every case. It is nice to have access to this many informed opinions.

Semper Fi

It sounds like your mind is already made up, and I don't remember if I heard this on this thread or a different one, but I've heard that M&P magazines are in short supply. This is coming from a .45 1911 guy, so best of luck choosing!

The XD is a fine choice and he should feel fortunate to have a father that would give him such a nice gift. Tell him from one brag to another, happy birthday. Stay safe and get lots - o - lead downrange.

I have a xdm 3.8" compact. carry as concealed with 11 rnd mag and carry open with 16rnd mag. considering the 9mm conversion barrel also. that would make this basically 4 guns in one with one being the ccw. owned glock before...no grip safety on glock and xdm has 30% better grip. I have shot both side by side xdm better even with shorter barrel. note im reffering to the xdm with two different length mags

Since it's a present.......get him what he wants.

That being said, I'm probably a "fan boy" of certain handguns. So, I won't make any recommendation(s) as to another handgun for your quest.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top