JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember when metallic silhouette shooting was more popular. Heck, it may still be, I just don't see it in these parts. Anyway, I am reading a book on said topic published in the late 1970s, and have acquired some silhouettes for informal shooting on the home range.

Anyway, I thought I would toss it out there for discussion: what are your metallic silhouette shooting handguns? Care to share pics? Thanks! :)

My dad was a competitive handgun silhouette shooter in the 80s. He was pretty good and has a ton of trophies and plaques. IIRC he used a 7mm. I'll have to ask him.

7MM was likely a 7TCU in a Contender.
In the old IHMSA game, there were quite a few categories.
CF out to 200 meters, RF out to 100.
Revolvers, standing, etc, etc.
I now shoot the 100 yard game at my club.
Gun for that is a S&W Model 67 with a Matchdot.
Load is 38 Special +P. 160 grain bullet at 955 FPS.
67-3dot.jpg
With the Matchdot, I just click to my setting for each stage/distance.

Wasn't the 357 maximum developed for silhouette shooting, or at least gained popularity because of it? I've always wanted to get a Blackhawk chambered in that round. I think they chambered a few Savage 24's with the Maximum as the rifle barrel. I wouldn't mind getting one of those either.

I shot NRA Small Bore with a Smith and Wesson Model 41. It had a 7-3/8" Barrel with a Leupold 2X LER - Later I went to the 4X. I used CCI Green Tag.

For the Big Bore stuff I used another Smith and Wesson. This time I used a Model 16-4. It had an 8-3/8" Barrel and a Leupold 4X LER. I shot .32 S&W Long 100gr. HBWC loads for the Chickens and Pigs. Then the Turkeys and Rams fell to the .32 H&R Magnum 85gr. JHP. Shooting that combination I didn't have a change my Sights at all.

Editted to add: All my Leupold Scopes for Silhouette Shooting have the High Turrets for easier adjustment.

That particular Smith and Wesson Model 41 Barrel is now Threaded and carries my Suppressor. End of Edit.

Sorry I don't do pictures.

Last Edited:
Shot IHMSA silhouette in the 70's. Used a TC contender in 7mm TCU for for production & standing class. An XP 100 7mm International for unlimited. 10" barrel High Standard for standing & auto class rimfire.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top