JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slings are an important piece of gear for a rifle that gets used.

Using a thin nylon sling on a rifle you have to pack over miles of rough terrain during hunting season is like putting whitewall highway tread tires on your pickup. Doing so tells me you don't really use your rifle, or at least haven't put much thought into it.

My hiking/camping/hunting rifles all get wide, padded slings that are either rubber/gel or have anti-slip material. The wider the sling, the more comfortable it is since it distributes the weight of the rifle. Anti-slip properties are essential for ducking under obstacles without your rifle sliding off your shoulder.

My hiking/camping/SHTF woods gun is an AR in .450 Bushmaster and it has a very nice sling...

View attachment 728574

OTOH, some rifles demand a quality leather sling just because. My Al Biesen pre-`64 Model 70 in .30-06 Ackley Improved has an Amish crafted bison leather and brass sling since a rubber sling would be blasphemy...

View attachment 728576
"Amish crafted bison leather and brass sling," by who? Would like to know the maker...very nice! Nice rifle too :D

Slings are an important piece of gear for a rifle that gets used.

Using a thin nylon sling on a rifle you have to pack over miles of rough terrain during hunting season is like putting whitewall highway tread tires on your pickup. Doing so tells me you don't really use your rifle, or at least haven't put much thought into it.

My hiking/camping/hunting rifles all get wide, padded slings that are either rubber/gel or have anti-slip material. The wider the sling, the more comfortable it is since it distributes the weight of the rifle. Anti-slip properties are essential for ducking under obstacles without your rifle sliding off your shoulder.

My hiking/camping/SHTF woods gun is an AR in .450 Bushmaster and it has a very nice sling...

View attachment 728574

OTOH, some rifles demand a quality leather sling just because. My Al Biesen pre-`64 Model 70 in .30-06 Ackley Improved has an Amish crafted bison leather and brass sling since a rubber sling would be blasphemy...

View attachment 728576

One of the most difficult lessons to impart to persons new to hunting (i.e.: kids, women), or persons new to hunting where and how I hunt, is that a sling can and will be your worst enemy toward achieving a kill.

It is my contention and firm belief by experience that a sling should ONLY be used to carry the gun on the shoulder in VERY LIMITED and SPECIFIC times of the hunt. Such would include:

Strictly Traveling. (NO chance or expectation of a shot.)

When the carry arm is occupied otherwise (dragging game, working with a horse, scaling steep hills or difficult terrain where the carry arm needs to be free for safety's sake).

When the tag has been filled.

With people that are learning to hunt, it is so very tempting to sling the rifle on the shoulder while hunting, almost able to forget about it. I am not very gentle when I issue the reminder to carry the gun IN HAND while actually engaged in hunting. Should I be required to remind again, I am nothing less than very firm.

With "experienced" hunters, more diplomacy is appropriate: a suggestion, an observation, leading by example are employed. Most of these guys were taught (or learned by themselves) that a rifle slung on the shoulder IS how you hunt. Where and how I hunt, it CANNOT be. Invariably I am granted the ultimate triumph: a cheerful, "Told ya so!", when the seconds delay toward the shot costs the opportunity for the kill. The game conveys a lesson beyond my capabilities to do so.

"Rifle in hand" can take various forms to spell the arms from fatigue. Switching arms, "Africa carry" (rifle itself resting and balanced on the shoulder), and my favorite for long hunts is....using the sling! Not in the normal sense, but tightened against the trigger guard, and the sling employed as a "suitcase handle" (gun suspended upside down). This is infinitely more comfortable than cradling the gun in the hand while walking.

Some may tout their "wonder sling" as just as fast to the ready as a rifle in the hand. Outdoor conventions are rife with the pitchmen for these inventions.

When fractions of a second count, their rifle is only seconds away.

I own two slings.

I have a simple leather 'military' type sling. I do not know who made it but my MT husband gave it to me.

My other leather sling, another gift to me from him, is a bit fancier because it has some tooling on the leather.

I did not have a sling on my 3 RF rifles back east. (Former two lever action rifles and a former Made in CT Papoose.

I do not hunt. I have nothing against hunting.

I started to use a leather sling on and off when my MT husband and I hiked in the woods and wilderness more. I used it on a former 30-30 rifle and on a few other rifles too.

I do not use a sling at our range. I may try it though especially if I have to use my cane on a 'bad day'.

Old Lady Cate

AK sling :rolleyes:

E13564A6-1F67-492A-AA53-58C2724AD773.jpeg

For my hunting rifles I will use a 1903 leather sling or an even more basic adjustable leather strap. Using either style to wrap around my arm and get the rifle steady is the primary reason I sling my rifle. Like Spitpatch, I don't believe a rifle belongs slung over my shoulder when actively hunting. Exceptions include fence crossing or tree climbing, where having both hands free is helpful. I missed a chance at a buck a couple of years ago because I couldn't get scope covers open quick enough. I wouldn't have had any chance if the rifle was slung on my shoulder.

I am interested in a single point sling for my AR pistol. I think something like that would be useful to carry and use the gun without the downsides mentioned above.

The only "rules" I have for a rifle sling is that it has to be strong, waterproof, 2-point, adjustable, dark/dull in color and secured to the rifle in a manner that allows it to be removed in the field without tools. If it features all those brand and price don't matter.

For my hunting rifles I will use a 1903 leather sling or an even more basic adjustable leather strap. Using either style to wrap around my arm and get the rifle steady is the primary reason I sling my rifle. Like Spitpatch, I don't believe a rifle belongs slung over my shoulder when actively hunting. Exceptions include fence crossing or tree climbing, where having both hands free is helpful. I missed a chance at a buck a couple of years ago because I couldn't get scope covers open quick enough. I wouldn't have had any chance if the rifle was slung on my shoulder.

I am interested in a single point sling for my AR pistol. I think something like that would be useful to carry and use the gun without the downsides mentioned above.

Orygun brings forward THE EVIL TWIN to a sling where interference toward a kill is concerned:

Scope covers.

Flip-up types are snazzy and particularly impressive when activated in front of a 12 year-old. They add a level of gadgetry flair to an over-accessorized rifle of any type, particularly an MSR.

They have no place on a big game rifle. They hamper removal from a scabbard (rarely even survive multiple removals), the latches catch on clothing, branches and such incessantly. Left open ("because I just jumped a couple does and a buck may erupt any second") too long and the Nimrod arrives back at the truck missing half the delicate contraption (sniffed cautiously by a prowling coyote that evening where it lays in the brush).

They have no place on a defense weapon (one that actually might be used for defense) for the same reason Orygun illustrated: Delivering an effective shot as soon as possible is of some degree of greater importance in a defense situation than in the hunting field. Scope covers add to the accumulation of "stuff to be done" before the trigger is pulled.

Best are the "Bikini" types. Their installation is equally as limited as the sling on the shoulder: ONLY when the scope will be compromised in short order due to environmental conditions, or for lens protection during transport. For nearly all the time hunting, the "Bikini" rides in a handy pocket. It is only a detriment and delay on the gun.

Last Edited:
Mag-pul MS1 For me, fast, light, simple, and robust!
For old school bolt actions or levers, the old style ( M-1903 ) Mil Leather slings with the heavy brass frogs are what I prefer, strong, secure, easy, and they look right! :cool:

I just acquired my 3rd MS1 sling, no need to have different models to add confusion so one more for the 4th AR...;)

CLAW for the hunting rifles. For a relatively inexpensive product, they just work. You put it on your shoulder and it doesn't slide around. It stays put and has a little bit of cushion that seems to make a difference on a long hump. Good product. On the service rifle, I use a Brown 1907 sling. Ron Brown learned to make slings from Les Tam. Sturdy, well made slings much like a Tam.

Last Edited:
Frank Proctor slings are all I need. Simple, lightweight 2 point slings without all the garbage you don't need. They're cheep too at 30-40 bucks. Others like the Blueforce, SOB, Slingster look nice but I just haven't tried them.

So what sling do you have now, or what would you consider to be your ideal sling?
I'm not sure of make/model. I'm not even sure where he bought it, but this sling that my dad got back in the 70's for his .30-30 has always been my favourite.
Wide, comfy, stays where you put it. Can't ask for much more.

Winchester_Model1894_Dad_01.jpg

I like my magpul single point for some things, but to be honest with you, the sling I most used was the combloc one that came with my Russian SKS I got in 1993. I climbed mountains with that old green sling holding the SKS , I climbed trees with it. But for what I would carry for most things now, the single point sling magpul would be a better choice

Recently, I have contemplated making a leather sling.

I'm not sure of make/model. I'm not even sure where he bought it, but this sling that my dad got back in the 70's for his .30-30 has always been my favourite.
Wide, comfy, stays where you put it. Can't ask for much more.

View attachment 738856

There are things to be said about "Dancin' with the One Ya Brought".
This says it perfectly.

It also talks about Purpose.

Although I am thinking of getting a few different types of single point slings, I really like my blackhawk swift sling, it is a 3 point sling that lets my rifle hang across the front of my torso so that I can be using my hands and still quickly raise and fire.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top