JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a question that tumbles around in my head. I know that in the battle for metallurgical durability the hardness and the toughness must be considered. I was wondering if there is a general hardness that is the sweet spot in a rifle bore. Obviously too hard will lead to micro chips in the bore and too soft would lead to premature bore wear. I guess this isn't a post with a great deal of practical use, but it is what rattles around in my skull sometimes.

This is a question that tumbles around in my head. I know that in the battle for metallurgical durability the hardness and the toughness must be considered. I was wondering if there is a general hardness that is the sweet spot in a rifle bore. Obviously too hard will lead to micro chips in the bore and too soft would lead to premature bore wear. I guess this isn't a post with a great deal of practical use, but it is what rattles around in my skull sometimes.
I do not know where today's barrels would fall on the Rockwell scale, but I had a friend, that was a machinist, and gunsmith, he had some WWII Japanese barrels he could not cut through with a hacksaw..
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top