JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some threads I've seen lately on the topic of ranges and gun clubs got me thinking...

In an ideal world, what features would you want to see in a gun club or range? I'm not talking about pricing so much, more about your experience as a patron.

In my opinion the static stall model has a lot of limitations, but that is the predominant style of range out there today. Some have neat extras and features you can pay more for, such as private shooting booths, training bays, or simulators, but most don't. I'm assuming it's largely a question of cost/benefit.

That being said, some things I would love to see in a hypothetical ideal range are:
- segmented firing spaces based on intended use or need. Examples might include traditional stalls for newbies who need constant oversight, private booths for experienced shooters, training bays for classes, etc. Or the ability for a person (member or walk-in) to choose their shooting experience / environment
- cameras that track the target as it moves so you can see your shot placement without having to recall the target hanger.
- ability to post multiple targets for engagement at different distances or for shoot/no shoot scenarios
- optic, accessory, and holster rentals

Thoughts?

Solitude. That's why I have my own.
I agree as well but still enjoy the local range for sanity. I enjoy company of other like minded people as well as the random brass score. My range at home is only 45 yards long, perfect for pistols or getting rifles on paper but longer ranges I need to go elsewhere.

A range that has both indoor and outdoor shooting lanes.
Also a shotgun only area.

Target distances are to be from :
25 - 200 yards for center fire or muzzle loading rifle....
25 - 100 yards rim fire rifle..
7 - 50 yards for handgun.

Perhaps a "trail walk" for :
Muzzle loading firearms , 22 firearms and shotguns.

A women's only area...
Some women would prefer an area / place shoot / instruction from another woman ...
In regards to shooting and the like.
I say the above , from my talking with and experience with friends who are women and enjoy shooting.

Ideally staff would be friendly and offer classes on :
Basic firearm safety and handling....
Sighting in ...to include a '"range day " for hunting rifles....
Muzzle loading basics....

Staff to be as noted above friendly...as in no bombastic "in your face" comments.
As well as being knowledgeable and open to sharing said knowledge.
Andy

Last Edited:
In door ranges

There are lots of thing I would love to see or be able to do but due to insurance, lawyers, range constraints and stupid people most ranges cannot allow it.

Practice draw and fire (most only allow during a training situation)

More than on round per second (I shoot time competitions so can not practice)

Stacked targets (one high one low or stapled to the bottom of the other target could put rounds in floor or ceiling if short range)

There are other things but it is hard for a 25-yard range to do and do safely, then you add untrained hold my beer folks and that's when you get the insurance and lawyers involved.

Out door ranges

These are a bit better as you can have a bay with multiple targets, usually rapid fire, longer distance at least 50 yards for hand gun but still have insurance, lawyers to deal with.

I think most do the best they can in the world we live in and like many I am lucky to have a 100-yard range on my property.

Good suggestions. I'm going to piggyback on them. A long distance set of lane's. When the long distance is not going for shooting competition at distance open it up for people that want to do running and shooting on the move. People have to show their proficiency to do so. We'll call it Progressive Positive Proficient Professional skills just for people like @Stomper because it's probably the only progressive thing that he would get behind! :rolleyes: :s0114:

Ok so the progressive wording started making me nauseous.🤮

You get the gist of it.

My favorite place is Tri Counties black powder, silhouette range. I wasn't there when they made it, but I'm here for what it is. Which is a rimfire gallery range. It's 200 meters long. And has well over 200 steel targets to shoot at. They also have everything else one could likely need. It truly is an amazing facility.

If I had a dream range. It would be like Hickock45s private range that is in his backyard. Maybe adding a bench though he is always standing.

1661616755059.jpeg

I have a small home range for testing, etc...
But I prefer a larger setup with a variety. I belong to two ranges, one that is mostly shotgun sports and another that hosts Cowboy shoots, 3 Gun, 3 different pistol clubs, a silhouette group, etc.... DR

My ideal gun range would have ranges from 5 to 300 yards. Have covered benches. Range masters who are alert, knowledgeable and NOT rectal orifices. And it should have guns, accessories and ammo. And be located between a taqueria and a massage parlor.

Some threads I've seen lately on the topic of ranges and gun clubs got me thinking...

In an ideal world, what features would you want to see in a gun club or range? I'm not talking about pricing so much, more about your experience as a patron.

In my opinion the static stall model has a lot of limitations, but that is the predominant style of range out there today. Some have neat extras and features you can pay more for, such as private shooting booths, training bays, or simulators, but most don't. I'm assuming it's largely a question of cost/benefit.

That being said, some things I would love to see in a hypothetical ideal range are:
- segmented firing spaces based on intended use or need. Examples might include traditional stalls for newbies who need constant oversight, private booths for experienced shooters, training bays for classes, etc. Or the ability for a person (member or walk-in) to choose their shooting experience / environment
- cameras that track the target as it moves so you can see your shot placement without having to recall the target hanger.
- ability to post multiple targets for engagement at different distances or for shoot/no shoot scenarios
- optic, accessory, and holster rentals

Thoughts?
My favorite range belongs to the Corvallis, Oregon Elks Lodge. I love it because many times I'm the only one there. Located on 20 acres near Wren, Oregon, it has a pistol pit with target backers and steel. There are also 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300-yard benches. It has a 600-yard range with pulling pits. The 600 yd range is available on Wednesdays and the rest of the range is closed. There is also skeet and trap. Please don't join. :)

25-200 yard rifle range with bench rests for zero/load development.

200-500 yard rifle range, no benches, with the ability to pull targets without cease fire. Steel targets as well.

5-75 yard square pistol range, steel from 25-75 yards.

Action pistol range with 8 bays that can be converted for various target placement/scenarios, max distance 25 yards.

Action rifle range that can be converted for various target placement/scenarios. Max distance 50 yards.

Indoor rimfire range with distances up to 40 yards.

Shotgun range with trap and skeet houses.

I like the one I belong to. Four ranges with three that can be used all at once without stopping the others for target set up. 750 yards to the last target on the rifle range, 200 yards on the small bore and pistol range, and 100 yards on the police range. The small bore and rifle sides have rams to shoot and the police range is wide open to set up what you want. There is a cowboy action range as well but it cross fires the rifle range if being used.

It has two warming huts with wood stoves for heat and nice benches. What it does not have is any range officers, or lots of people to bug you. Follow the simple rules and enjoy your day. There is a member on here that has a picture taken on my range as an avatar.

#1 factor imo is people need to practice as if their life depended on it. With edc pistols Fe that means firing from the draw and NOT slow fire. Ideally also more dynamic targets and multiple targets.

Now stepping into the "ideal" realm, even more ideal would by shooting under duress. Even more ideal would be shooting from several positions (ideally some that are uncomfortable), and at moving targets.

The problem with a lot of ranges such as Johnson creek is you can fire only once per second. You cannot draw. You must shoot only 1 static paper target at only 1 distance. This kind of shooting TBH is worthless to me. Why practice one way and then when you need the skills to protect you or your loved ones all of a sudden you have to fire a completely different way? Makes no sense to me personally.

Thoughts?
I'd like to be able to use high brass hunting loads for shooting trap and have one of those mechanical target retrieval do-hickey's for the rifle range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top