JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:rolleyes:I try not to be biased, but I like the 1911 design. My Kimber Pro Carry has been with me almost constantly for the last decade or more. More recently, my wife bought a Pro Carry II and wants to transition from her S&W wheelguns.

I may be behind the curve on the very latest .45 ACP ballistics, but I prefer not to go shorter than 4" barrel. I still have the 5" AMT Hardballer I bought in 1976, if memory serves. It is on its third barrel, has aftermarket recoil system and a nice trigger job. The full length Springfield Trophy Match is nice, though that nice adjustable rear sight cants slightly and is on my fix-it list.

If I were suddenly smitten with vast wealth, we'd see Les Baer, Ed Brown, Stan Chen, Terry Tussey and others in tne gun safe, but I am a low budget guy for the foreseeable future.

Just acquired a Remington R1S Enhanced 1911. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I was going to buy either this gun or a Ruger SR1911. When I picked this one up I just couldn't put it down. It really felt comfortable. I can hardly wait to hit the range with this one. I think it's a keeper, but the proof will be in the shooting.

Just acquired a Remington R1S Enhanced 1911. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I was going to buy either this gun or a Ruger SR1911. When I picked this one up I just couldn't put it down. It really felt comfortable. I can hardly wait to hit the range with this one. I think it's a keeper, but the proof will be in the shooting.

I've had my eyes on those SR1911's for a while now, just haven't yet made it to the top of the purchase list, yet. Those Remingtons look really nice too. Enjoy.

I replaced the stock grips, which are very aggressively checkered and just look like a nondescript black grip, with some Hogue, smooth rosewood grips that really look nice with the stainless finish. I'm liking it.

Had a custom target 1911 45 years ago, but it went down the road.

I've been locked into S&W TDA semi-autos ever since, so my favorite is the 4" 4566, followed closely by the 645, but it's just too big to carry.

IMG_4500.JPG

IMG_4500.JPG

Speaking of "big," a word to the wise: the Master Series Crimson Trace stocks are pretty wood, but they are a bit thicker than the original smooth wood slabs on my Kimber. My high voltage gloves are size 10 - I think that's a Large - and I'm comfortable with the more hand filling grip.

My wife's Pro Carry II has the standard black Crimson Trace, and they seem like standard 1911 grips. If you have a smaller hand than mine, I suggest them.

Does my 4" Kimber count as a full size .45 as per the original topic of this thread, or do I need to dig out a 5" 1911? Our Springfield XD/M is 4.5" and I believe that is full size for the XD series. ;)

I carried a Colt Officers Mod (I know, not full size) for many years but I have been won over by my inexpensive, full size, Sig P250. It has never had a malfunction of any sort,and I've been running a case of nasty blemished reloads in it. Its accurate, light and has the best DAO trigger I've ever squeezed! Very revolver like!
Never sell the Colt though!

Based on a brief exposure, I have to agree. A friend picked up a P250 and we went shooting. I'm not a DAO fan, but that gun was fun to shoot and not bad to control. Although I read a few mixed reviews when the P250 came out, I'd say, as with many other pieces, if you have one that works well, hang onto it.

Based on a brief exposure, I have to agree. A friend picked up a P250 and we went shooting. I'm not a DAO fan, but that gun was fun to shoot and not bad to control. Although I read a few mixed reviews when the P250 came out, I'd say, as with many other pieces, if you have one that works well, hang onto it.

If you bought an early example you have probably melted and flushed it by now! I got a later one and it's been an excellent piece! My understanding is that there were so many serious problems (including the frames splitting in half!) that Sig stopped production and reengineered the entire pistol. Seems to have worked.

I just always considered 45acp to be for the 1911,so I've never really shot too many others
1911s take the cool factor if in blue (not parkerized) and wood grips.
Plus I have always shot them fairly well.
I have shot the glocks (love glocks but no cool factor) and they are glocks,they shoot very well.
I would like to run a FN tactical for a bit to see if I like them.But as stated back a page,too much going on with them to fall in love.
Sounds like Sig is one of the favorites in 45

I once had a Colt Commander in .45, loved it. AMT Hardballer in .45, hated it. Glock .45, liked it, loved the magazine capacity but the feel of holding and shooting the H&K is like no other. Unfortunately for me the only pistol I own is a Glock 10 mm. Simply could not afford the pistol I wanted so I make do...

I once had a Colt Commander in .45, loved it. AMT Hardballer in .45, hated it. Glock .45, liked it, loved the magazine capacity but the feel of holding and shooting the H&K is like no other. Unfortunately for me the only pistol I own is a Glock 10 mm. Simply could not afford the pistol I wanted so I make do...
All do respect to the 45acp,I believe the 10mm is a superior round.And this is from a die hard 1911 fan
No shame in having a glock 20 as your only hand gun.You could do a lot worse
Oh BTW,I sold a few hand guns to move and my G20s were not really the ones I ever wanted to sell

now don't start talking 10mm....big fan boy here.
properly loaded 10mm has more velocity and energy at 100 yards than a 45acp has at the muzzle from an equally sized barrel
there is simply no handgun combat round can match it in power/capacity

Oli700 that's why I opted for the 10mm although I struggled with the decision. Coming from a scumbags point of view there is some significance to be considered with the big hole offered by the .45..

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top