JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I checked for other threads on this, but haven't found one, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

Also notice I'm not asking the usual question: "What is the BEST..." We all know there is no one answer to that question.

I'm just curious, among you folks that have .45's, what are your favorites? Currently my only .45 is a Glock 21sf, which is a pretty decent gun, but I've thought for a bit about maybe trying something else. I've never owned a 1911, but I have shot them, they're okay, but I didn't fall in love.

I've had a harder time falling in love with a particular .45 than I have with other calibers. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and become a 1911 guy ;)

So how about you? What do you like, and if you don't mind giving some details, why do you like it? Looks? Handling? Cool factor? Accuracy? Reliability?

Let me know what you think. You may just help guide me on my next decision :)

I'm a 1911 guy. My dad carried one during WWII and liked it so much he brought it home with him. In the course of my life I've owned at least 10 different .45 ACP's. All but one of those were 1911's. The only striker fired .45 was a Taurus that I got in a trade. It jammed and was basically sub-standard. Went to the gun show and never came back:). I currently own 5 1911's. They include a Colt guard series 80 combat commander, a Kimber Ultra carry stainless, a Springfield Armory stainless full size with a Kimber .22 rim fire conversion top end and a trigger job, a box stock Rock Island Armory commander with Hogue grips and a new, as yet unfired, stainless Colt combat commander.
My favorite? It's kind of like having a favorite child. I like them all but for different reasons. I won't bore everyone with individual reviews of each gun but if anyone has specific questions I would be glad to answer.
I will say that dollar for dollar the Rock Island is hard to beat. It has never jammed or stove-piped for me, is more accurate than I am and cost new was around $400. If you're not sure if the 1911 is your "cup-a-tea" you might try one of the Rock Islands. It's easy on the wallet and easy to turn if it's not for you or you want to upgrade.
Lastly I will say about the new Colt Commander; It has all the bells and whistles right out of the box. Stuff that I used to pay much additional money for after market. I paid $750 NIB (about $200 less than the comparable Kimber) and the fit and finish is exemplary. Oh, and did I mention it's a Colt?

I put a Tisas on layaway from Bud's. I thought I'd give a 1911 a shot, but didn't want to pay a big price. Reviews are very positive and Bud's backs them directly, so I'm willing to give them a chance. I'll see in a few months what happens.

My big old trusty Springfield XDm 4.5" .45 is sitting right next to me in my nightstand drawer safe with it's buddy, a TLR-4 laser/light combo, attached to the rail. I love 1911s and have had a Sig P220, S&W M&P .45, and a Glock 21, but for pure reliability and accuracy my XDm has been the best for me and my medium sized hands.

I packed a 1911A1 in the Army. I own one and love it, but it's obsolete. My favorite (although it's a sub-compact) is my EDC Glock-30 w/ Trijicon night sights, and I'll shoot you right square in the eye with it.

That being said, for a FULL SIZED .45ACP I'm giving the nod to the Beretta Px4 Storm Type-G INOX.

Sig can suck it! :D

Remington R1 Enhanced. Now that i've shot it, it has a home for life. Love it. Feels perfect, fits my hand, smooth as silk, very accurate.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top