JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I checked for other threads on this, but haven't found one, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

Also notice I'm not asking the usual question: "What is the BEST..." We all know there is no one answer to that question.

I'm just curious, among you folks that have .45's, what are your favorites? Currently my only .45 is a Glock 21sf, which is a pretty decent gun, but I've thought for a bit about maybe trying something else. I've never owned a 1911, but I have shot them, they're okay, but I didn't fall in love.

I've had a harder time falling in love with a particular .45 than I have with other calibers. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and become a 1911 guy ;)

So how about you? What do you like, and if you don't mind giving some details, why do you like it? Looks? Handling? Cool factor? Accuracy? Reliability?

Let me know what you think. You may just help guide me on my next decision :)

Bought this EAA 45 20 yrs ago for $350 new. Never jammed once, except when I put the 10mm mag in it. Fits my hand like a glove and is DA ,SA with safety in the right spot. I've shot it underwater in saltwater and kept on a boat for 4 years. Not the most accurate gun in the world but hit many 60 lb plus halibut at 6 to 8'. Its held up well. Gave it a Dura Coat makeover last year , put new grips on, polished the barrel trigger and hammer. Think I've got my moneys worth out of it.

Forgot Cool factor = 0

IMG_0152_zpspcc599au.jpg

The only .45 handguns I own (or have ever owned) are a 1911 and an M&P 45. I like them both, the M&P probably a little better than the 1911. I really want an FNX-45 tactical and I think I'll like it better than the M&P, but that probably won't happen until the Fall.

I really like my Springfield competition XDm 45. Not going to say it is the best, because I don't believe there is a "best." Not for everyone. The important thing is what is the best .45 for the person shooting it. That will not always be the same gun for different people.

A good running 1911 is hard to beat, but for my purposes I like the extra rounds and adjustable grip the XDm provides. Great reliability, accuracy, ergos, and simple take down for cleaning. Add in the accessory package they come with and I think it is a very good buy for the money.

I have shot many matches with different match grade 1911's over the years.
The 1911 has such a nice crisp trigger they are hard to beat. But I am not a fan of
a cocked and locked 1911 for carry. I recently purchased a M & P 45.
It has a smaller ergonomic grip than other polymer 45s. The trade off is the magazine
only holds 10. XDM and Glock hold 13. I have shot other 45s and I really like the M & P.
What 45 to get? I think it depends on what you want to do with it.

I really like my Springfield competition XDm 45. Not going to say it is the best, because I don't believe there is a "best." Not for everyone. The important thing is what is the best .45 for the person shooting it. That will not always be the same gun for different people.

A good running 1911 is hard to beat, but for my purposes I like the extra rounds and adjustable grip the XDm provides. Great reliability, accuracy, ergos, and simple take down for cleaning. Add in the accessory package they come with and I think it is a very good buy for the money.
OK, so I made the age old sin of replying before reading the whole original post. I hate it when people do that on my posts, and I apologize.

To be more specific about why I like the Competition XDm let me start with the accuracy. The trigger is very clean and predictable. My hands are smaller than average so being able to have a double stack magazine that fits my grip isn't that easy to find. Glocks, Para's, and FN's are great guns, but just don't fit in my hands as well. Recoil is very tame for a .45 and second shots are easy to get back on target. The stock adjustable sights are great. With this gun I am able to put about 90-95% of my shots in the 10pt area of a siloette (obviously I am not a spelling champ) target at 50ft. The ones outside are always my fault, and I know it before the bullet hits the paper.

Reliability wise it is beyond reproach. I've shot it in many different situations. Freezing cold, heat, clean, dirty, doesn't matter the thing will go bang again and again no matter what you do to it. As a test/too lazy to waste time cleaning in between I fired 500 rounds through it in one session. Not one failure. I carried it for a week in an open ended holster hunting in eastern Oregon. Took it out covered in dust and let my buddies try about 50 rounds through it. Same results, and the accuracy was still there as well.

Looking into getting a .460 Rowland conversion kit for it. Then I might consider taking a shot on a bear that I don't have to.

I STARTED my serious shooting career 20+ years ago with a Glock 30.

It never fit my hand 100%..........but I could shoot it accurately!

A few years ago, after shooting "Mostly Glocks", I tried a Kimber UCC in 45.

I love that gun, I love the lazer, I love the grip, I love the recoil, I love the accuracy.

So, I tried a Taurus PT 1911 to get the feel of a full size 45.

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but Big....................

So I tried a Ruger 1911 Commander.

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........and smaller............

If the SHTF, and I could carry only one 45, My OD Green G-30 would be with me................

I've never owned a 1911, but I have shot them, they're okay, but I didn't fall in love.

I've had a harder time falling in love with a particular .45 than I have with other calibers. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and become a 1911 guy ;)
Looks? Handling? Cool factor?

Took me a LONG time to explore the 1911 platform.
It is COOL though:cool::confused::rolleyes:o_O:D:D:D:D

I like 1945-55 cars, but I'd never drive one across country.:confused::cool::D:D

LOTS of improvements and reliability issues have been "integrated" since then.:):)

Took me a LONG time to explore the 1911 platform.
It is COOL though:cool::confused::rolleyes:o_O:D:D:D:D

I like 1945-55 cars, but I'd never drive one across country.:confused::cool::D:D

LOTS of improvements and reliability issues have been "integrated" since then.:):)

To be sure, the 1911 platform is high on the 'cool' list, that is something I would never challenge. That beautiful metal, the fine operation, it's hard to say much bad about them. Though I do prefer the full size over the smaller commander size. I've never owned one, but I've had my eye on a few Ruger SR1911's in the past. Maybe, some day.

I prefer an M&P .45 over just about any other. The ambidextrous controls are a big plus for me and those controls are similar to all of my 9mm's as well.

I've owned 1911's but never truly enjoyed them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top