JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rufus, thankyou for the charts, but they fail to note that a WHOLE lot of Democrats were historically Democrat in name only, and usually voted with the Republicans. These conservative Democrats were often from the South and would not call themselves Republican because that was the hated party of Abraham Lincoln---yet they voted Republican on nearly every issue. They used to be called "Yellow Dogs" I think; now they favor the term, "Blue Dog Democrats", blue in name only............................elsullo

Rufus,

What is your point? If I burn my house down tomorrow, what does it matter who lived in it the 50 years previous??? The damage was done the day I lit the match.

I seem to remember a balanced budget and a surplus a few years back.

Yeah, I know. I'm not trying to be argumentative, really. Just pointing out facts (like the surplus you just mentioned - look it up, no surplus just lies).

The bottom line, and I think we agree, is both major parties suck. I just cannot sit and watch misinformation go by without say'n something. Democrat, republican, whatever, if they are in charge they are corrupt. I have no answers or solutions, and if I did what difference would it make. I get only one vote.

They say you should never discuss politics or religion among friends & family, and for good reason. I have been trying to stay out of here for the past few months because I do come off a bit crass, but I hate what is happening to the USA and it's hard to watch and not say anything. Heck, I am crass, but so what?

This nation was built on capitalism and it is our generation that is it's undoing. Too many people are intellectually lazy and just go with the group-think flow and that really pisses me off. Folks need to snap out of it and think things through for a change. Take off the partisan goggles and read more material from the other side (like Thomas Sowell for example :D ). It just might start making sense once you think about it. And yes, I read a lot of liberal media.

Rant over, have a nice day.

Rufus,

What is your point? If I burn my house down tomorrow, what does it matter who lived in it the 50 years previous??? The damage was done the day I lit the match.

I seem to remember a balanced budget and a surplus a few years back.
Yes if you burn your house down it doesn't matter who lived in it 50 years before. What matters is YOU burned it down and that should be remembered. When people do bad things their history shouldn't be hidden, it should be brought out all the time so it doesn't happen again.

When Clinton pissed of the voters with "healthcare" they voted out the dem congress (who spends the money) and voted in repubs who brought about a balanced budget that Clinton takes credit for.

Of course all this history means little to you but knowing who the criminals are helps control crime. Only if the voters figure it out. Oregon voters can't seem to understand.

jj

Yes if you burn your house down it doesn't matter who lived in it 50 years before. What matters is YOU burned it down and that should be remembered. When people do bad things their history shouldn't be hidden, it should be brought out all the time so it doesn't happen again.

When Clinton pissed of the voters with "healthcare" they voted out the dem congress (who spends the money) and voted in repubs who brought about a balanced budget that Clinton takes credit for.

Of course all this history means little to you but knowing who the criminals are helps control crime. Only if the voters figure it out. Oregon voters can't seem to understand.

jj
Care to back up that statement that the republican congress balanced the budget the last two years of Clinton's term?

Care to back up that statement that the republican congress balanced the budget the last two years of Clinton's term?

Originally Posted by PlayboyPenguin
Rufus,

"What is your point? If I burn my house down tomorrow, what does it matter who lived in it the 50 years previous??? The damage was done the day I lit the match.

I seem to remember a balanced budget and a surplus a few years back."

Will your own words help??:s0112::s0112::s0112:

Look it really doesn't matter to me if you accept the truth or not. We can argue till everyone is dead but the truth is still the truth. What is important about this is others who can understand charts and do read history know what we are up against. Truth doesn't matter nor do facts to people without the comprhension to understand them.

It's great that these differences can be pointed out on an open forum. People need to see them.

jj

Fact is that government caused this depression. Charts show who has been in power the most. Obviously those who have had the most control deserve the biggest blame however the real blame goes to those who won't inform themselves to vote. It's why Oregonians voted for higher taxes, stuck on stupid and now look where it leads.

jj

Would somebody explain to me the logic of taxing some people more than others? Why we don't simply tax everyone a set portion of their income, eliminate the loopholes?

If any of you really want to ask what proof we have of people leaving the state due to the new tax laws, we need look no further than the firearms industry. There was at least one firearms manufacturer who packed up the shop and moved to Idaho, just so they could afford to do business. The five families or so that left the area took five families worth of rent or mortgage payments, food shopping, gas, and other money out of the economy. How was this a good idea? I have no more proof, but I cannot imagine that this was the only or the largest company forced to make this decision to leave Oregon. So at best, I can imagine this was a break-even proposition?

As for those of you calling for a sales tax. If you open that slippery slope, all you are doing is inviting the government to then arbitrarily raise that tax when they feel the need (see the rise in gas tax that's about to take place, don't know about you, but I don't remember a vote on that). You think a sales tax would lower other taxes in the state. I would suggest that it would instead give government a chance to become more bloated that it is now. Since the rest of us are tightening our belts during the economic crisis, why is the government not doing the same?

He is blatantly deceptive with his math and works for an organization with an agenda. That is enough to discredit his article in itself. If you say it the way it should be said "A couple earning nearly a half a million dollars a year with one child in college will pay a tax rate closer to (but not as high as) what they paid during the Reagan administration on a portion of their income" it suddenly becomes a whole lot less shocking. A little hard to get the masses stroked into a frenzy when you present it correctly. Think that might be why he choose to make such an obvious omission?

Typical liberal tactics, doing what you accuse others of. $400,000 becomes half a million if it makes your argument sound better.

I worked in a school today, and while strolling down the hall, I saw a listing of the presidents of the USA, and their accomplishments.
I found it interesting that the Income tax was implemented by a Republican president.

Call me cynical, but I think the Democratic party and the Republican party are two wrenches in the same tool drawer. You can get all worked up about 9/16" being better than 5/8", set your jaw one way or the other, and vote with vigor in support of your wrench size. But realize that you are just a tool, voting for another tool, that is owned, run, and implemented by others.

Until you can change the rules and eliminate the power held by these two parties, which really don't give a flying 'F' about your welfare or condition, you will be captive to voting for one wrench or the other... Only to find out you got screwed again.

Beware the social issues they use to divide us..., Gun rights, abortion, the environment, religion, taxation, immigration... I would urge everyone to disconnect their feelings, step back, analyze what's going on, and realize that there isn't a warm bucket full of piss worth of difference between the actual DEEDS and LEGISLATION separating the two parties on these very polarizing issues.

Both parties have their talking heads that collect our advertising dollars as we listen to or watch their shows. We FEEL a sense of alignment as we identify with the topics.

However, we, as the hard working, tax paying, revenue producing, blue collar ,get up every friggin' morning and do it again crowd, have been sold down the river.

To whom? To better organized, better represented, better paid, better subsidized, better lobbied, better connected and better looking folks than you and I. Both the Republican and Democratic parties are controlled by those listed above.

And just like a game of dodgeball, we're picked last. Until it comes time to vote...then we're pandered and catered to....and played like fools for another two years.

I don't know how to fix it. I know this two party system is corrupt, broken and inbred. I know this country I live in, and the Flag I served is broke, debt ridden, and riding very low in the water. I know the deck of that ship is filled with folks that are not paying attention and dancing until the band quits.

It's time for folks that pay attention and care to re-assess their affiliations and dedications, whether religious, political or labor or cause related. Back the scope off from 12 power on your 'hot button' topic, and pan out to 3 power. Get the big picture. Those that are concerned can zoom out, get perspective, and realize it's all screwed up, and perhaps implement systemic change.

Or not.

Why would we ever want to tax the rich? We should only tax ourselves, as working people, so we can provide roads, ports, bridges, utilities, research, police protection, legal services, educated workers, postal service, internet, tax breaks, and everything else the very rich could ever want. Then, maybe they will let us eat a few crumbs from the table. We should work all our lives to build up their wealth because they are better than us. Wasn't that the purpose of our Revolution, to allow us to be house servants for new aristocrats?

What we need to realize is the rich don't pay taxes. They raise their taxes and then they pass it on to us. Like now, look at gas prices before BP and while they figured out what to do they slowly increased. BP is not paying a dime because all they did was raise prices. Remember Obama saying no tax dollars will be used? My butt because they are and BP raised prices. Raise a companies taxes and they raise the price of their service or goods and it gets passed on to the common man or women. No wonder businesses leave here, in about 1 year we will have the largest corporate tax rate in the world. I wonder why?

Like I said, TAX EVERYONE THE SAME, and stop the loopholes. Of course tax the rich. Stop letting them get out of it. Flat tax makes sense to me. And I'm in the lower end of the tax bracket.

It's time for folks that pay attention and care to re-assess their affiliations and dedications, whether religious, political or labor or cause related. Back the scope off from 12 power on your 'hot button' topic, and pan out to 3 power. Get the big picture. Those that are concerned can zoom out, get perspective, and realize it's all screwed up, and perhaps implement systemic change.

:s0155::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top