JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ran across this today: 8th grade student suspended, arrested over gun t-shirt - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

So school district dress code has no rule against firearms images included yet the teacher had him suspended and arrested for refusing to obey orders with no foundation. Sounds like a few things need to happen to make this right...

1) all charges need to be dropped/expunged against the kid.

2) charges filed against teacher and officials for civil rights violations and hate crimes.

3) teacher gets arrested and spends the suspension term in jail at a minimum

4) heavy damages paid for emotional trauma they caused

5) Teacher needs to write "I will not violate student's constitutional rights or inflict my incorrect and biased morals on the students under the care of the school district" 500,000 times on a large chalkboard in town square. This would be done in 4 hour shifts on weekends and evenings.

Where'd that troll spray get to?

Found it!

258Troll_spray.jpg

"The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images."

"Logan City Police did confirm that Jared had been arrested and charged today."

"Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record."

<broken link removed>

"According to Logan Middle School, there policy regarding dress is as follows:

"A student will not dress or groom in a manner that disrupts the educational process or is detrimental to the health, safety or welfare of others. A student will not dress in a manner that is distractive or indecent, to the extent that it interferes with the teaching and learning process, including wearing any apparel that displays or promotes any drug-, alcohol- or tobacco-related product that is prohibited in school buildings, on school grounds, in school-leased or owned vehicles, and at all school-affiliated functions."

"The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images."

"Logan City Police did confirm that Jared had been arrested and charged today."

"Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record."

To a school administrator, image of a gun=violence. There is no recognized discord between the actual act of violence, and the depiction of something even vaguely related to violence. This is the sort of zero-tolerance, wide-scope BS that needs to be removed from public school policies.

I agree with the suspension, rules are rules and no guns on shirts seems like a decent rule to me.

So by your logic students shouldn't be allowed to wear shirts or backpacks with images of Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, John Cena (and the rest of the WWE), heck one of my daughters has a Disney Tangled backpack with Flynn Ryder holding a sword in a defensive stance. Where is the line? All those things I mentioned denote violence that is easily imitated in the school yard.

Three thoughts:

1. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill because of a t-shirt. I work at a public high school and guarantee that there were at least a handful of girls wearing low enough cut tops that their cleavage was more distracting than that kids t-shirt.

2. Can't believe the cops didn't bring up the mountain and molehill issue and the 1A issue.

3. The only thing the kid was guilty of is a really crappy haircut.

So here's my question.

If the charge is "Disrupting the educational process" and that's punishable by incarceration and formal charges.

Have other students been dragged away and arrested for breaking the dress code policy at that school? If not, what makes this case so different

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top