Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WV student arrested/suspended for wearing NRA T-shirt

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Swedish K, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I ran across this today: 8th grade student suspended, arrested over gun t-shirt - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

So school district dress code has no rule against firearms images included yet the teacher had him suspended and arrested for refusing to obey orders with no foundation. Sounds like a few things need to happen to make this right...

1) all charges need to be dropped/expunged against the kid.

2) charges filed against teacher and officials for civil rights violations and hate crimes.

3) teacher gets arrested and spends the suspension term in jail at a minimum

4) heavy damages paid for emotional trauma they caused

5) Teacher needs to write "I will not violate student's constitutional rights or inflict my incorrect and biased morals on the students under the care of the school district" 500,000 times on a large chalkboard in town square. This would be done in 4 hour shifts on weekends and evenings.

2. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

I agree with the suspension, rules are rules and no guns on shirts seems like a decent rule to me.

3. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Where'd that troll spray get to?

Found it!

258Troll_spray.jpg

4. LiveFree7

LiveFree7 Canby Member

Ummm. . . .images of guns on clothes were not prohibited. . .helps to read the article.

Angie, Just Me, Redcap and 15 others like this.
  5. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Troll no learn read. Read make troll brain hurt.

6. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

"The Logan County School District's dress code policy prohibits clothing that displays profanity, violence, discriminatory messages and more but nowhere in the document does it say anything about gun images."

"Logan City Police did confirm that Jared had been arrested and charged today."

"Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record."

7. Father of four

8th grader gun T-shirt arrest: Arrest for NRA t-shirt has a father outraged - Jacksonville Top News | Examiner.com

"According to Logan Middle School, there policy regarding dress is as follows:

"A student will not dress or groom in a manner that disrupts the educational process or is detrimental to the health, safety or welfare of others. A student will not dress in a manner that is distractive or indecent, to the extent that it interferes with the teaching and learning process, including wearing any apparel that displays or promotes any drug-, alcohol- or tobacco-related product that is prohibited in school buildings, on school grounds, in school-leased or owned vehicles, and at all school-affiliated functions."

8. Father of four

8th Grader?s Gun T-shirt Leads To Arrest | WebProNews

"Police confirmed that Marcum had been arrested and faced charges of obstruction and disturbing the education process after getting into an argument over the shirt with a teacher at Logan Middle School, which is south of Charleston."

"The school has remained quiet."

9. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

More fear mongering and propaganda...

Good for the family for standing up and being outraged at this outrageous behavior!

10. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

To a school administrator, image of a gun=violence. There is no recognized discord between the actual act of violence, and the depiction of something even vaguely related to violence. This is the sort of zero-tolerance, wide-scope BS that needs to be removed from public school policies.

11. Father of four

Yep, they probably hate seeing drawings of patriots in 1776 in the history books.

12. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

There's a charge for "disturbing the education process?" What law maker wrote that BS?

13. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Doesn't there have to be an "education process" before if can be "disturbed?"

rocky3, Bacchus, Swedish K and 17 others like this.
  14. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

Are you an Oregon senator?

Swedish K and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Hopefully the ACLU will take the kids case.

Bacchus and (deleted member) like this.
  16. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

So by your logic students shouldn't be allowed to wear shirts or backpacks with images of Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, John Cena (and the rest of the WWE), heck one of my daughters has a Disney Tangled backpack with Flynn Ryder holding a sword in a defensive stance. Where is the line? All those things I mentioned denote violence that is easily imitated in the school yard.

17. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

He couldn't be one. He didn't lie about believing in the Second Amendment or an individual's right to own firearms.

18. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Three thoughts:

1. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill because of a t-shirt. I work at a public high school and guarantee that there were at least a handful of girls wearing low enough cut tops that their cleavage was more distracting than that kids t-shirt.

2. Can't believe the cops didn't bring up the mountain and molehill issue and the 1A issue.

3. The only thing the kid was guilty of is a really crappy haircut.

19. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

So here's my question.

If the charge is "Disrupting the educational process" and that's punishable by incarceration and formal charges.

Have other students been dragged away and arrested for breaking the dress code policy at that school? If not, what makes this case so different

20. slickx45

slickx45 Seattle - Eastside Active Member

I would say that the teacher and other school officials are in violation of this law as they disturbed the education process of this student when they took action against him that was unjust.

Just Me and (deleted member) like this.