Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WTH Is Up With Gun Prices?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by All2kool, Feb 27, 2013.

1. All2kool

All2kool Portland, OR Active Member

Is it just really crazy people thinking their used Sigma 9mm is actually worth $550 or have prices escalated beyond control? It seems that since Sandy Hook, pricing on used handguns has skyrocketed out of control and frankly, out of the realm of reality. A used S&W Sigma 9mm is not a $550 handgun under any circumstance. A used Beretta 92FS is not a $1000 handgun under any circumstance.

I also noticed that CTD seems to be 'Out of Stock' on all handgun ammunition - WTH is up with that? I never thought handgun ammunition would be an investment commodity but I guess I was wrong. I'm sure glad I stocked up when 9mm was selling for $10 a box and 40SW was only $12.

2. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

No offence meant, but welcome back from the cave.

Ya, things and prices are wayyyyy out of control!

iamme, Rotty, mjbskwim and 17 others like this.
  3. BLU HWY

BLU HWY Portland Member

Russ1590 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Magsbee

Magsbee Port Orchard New Member

Pure hysteria....but just wait til all this dies down....buyers market!!!!:gun09:

5. Rotty

Rotty Skagit County Active Member

I can't wait for the buyers market to hit. All of the Couch potato gun buyers will be looking to sell.

6. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Sherwood, OR New Member

In the last few months or so, a store opened up in Tualatin. After several stops in there and a true effort to keep my money as local as possible, I am 100% convinced that they simply set up shop to take advantage of the knee jerk reaction in suburbia.

At one point they were selling an XDS for $750... NIB, not custom. The other day I called to check on ammo, they are asking $44.95 for a 50 round box of fmj .45 acp.

7. PolishedBrass

PolishedBrass Gresham, Oregon Active Member

Now your talking! I too am hoping for a Glut of ammo, and misc guns that will be sold at Thanksgiving 2014.

Just hope legislation lets us pick up the slack without invasive paperwork.
    It would screw with the prices and not allow people to be lulled into the proper sleep for a tanked gun/ammo market.

8. Punt Re

Punt Re ClackCo New Member

Agreed! So many sellers here (and some other sites) ask dealer prices (and sometimes higher!) for their used stuff. Are they just looking for suckers, newbies, or buyers who won't (or can't) do the paperwork at retail? Can't imagine why anyone (who is sane and legal) would pay near dealer prices, when they could get that 'new gun smell' for about the same. Maybe the market will get back to reality after the hoarders and panic-stricken have had their fill.

9. gehrheart

There is no doubt at all that hording of ammo by people that are buying out entire shelf 's is not a big part of the over all problem..
    I am also thinking that the huge buy out by the .gov is adding a lot to the issue..

It will settle out in the mean time the manufactures have had REALLY good sales and profits which hopefully allow them to gear up more to make even more!!

10. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

Some people are stupid:dunno:

11. All2kool

That is absolutely freakin' nuts (and twice what is cost at BiMart just a few months ago).

12. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Actually prices are starting to creep back down. The only thing holding them up is lack of inventory. Probably be another 6 mths before we see things normal again.

But just in time I wanted to sell an AR prices are backing down! Dang
    Day late dollar short as usual

13. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

And yeah ammo prices will be ridiculous for a while.

Funny thing is the price gouging really should be on hicap mags and ARs, AKs, etc not ammo or a glock.
    You'll still be able to buy all that. I'm glad I have my ARs, pmags, and g17 mags.

14. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Seems a lot like real estate, when it is a great time to sell it is a lousy time to buy.
    Right now is a good time to sell guns

15. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, yeah, basically what he said.

Things have been FR since mid-Dec, but they seem to be getting better now. Granted, i'm not going to lie, I sold two stripped lowers on Gunbroker and used part of the profit to buy a new Glock. The second one sold for a lot less than the first one.

What I think we'll start seeing soon is the guys who emptied their bank accounts to get guns selling them because they can't pay off their credit cards. Prices will dip then, and after that will normalize.

I'm holding my money until that dip happens, and then I'm going to pick up a couple ARs.

16. davemata

I just bought a Glock 21 for sub 500, and I really think I might throw it on GB for 900 just to see what happens, then go and get another 21 for sub 500.

Just... wow.

17. All2kool

I'm guilty of gaining from the price increases too - I bought a Beretta 92FS INOX Tactical law Enforcement for $500 in cash, listed it on Gunbroker and it sold for $785. But that's because the bidder wanted it - not because my price was too high.

18. gehrheart

Im a little guilty...

Traded a stripped PSA blemish lower for a complete Colt upper.
    I dont feel bad as the person whom I traded with came to me and made the deal.

19. davemata

Exactly, we're all adults here, we know what we're doing, and we're making those choices.

It's not bad to do well fr yourself and your family when you can.

20. nehalemguy

nehalemguy Vernonia Well-Known Member

When is the buyers market from '94 and '08 going to arrive? ;)