JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The saga continues at this post: #59

Skip to : #73 for the list of approved triggers from Aero

Success Using TTech Trigger. Skip to : #80 to see how TTech, RA, and Timney compare.

Final Build Success: TriggerTech AR-9, FailZero BCG, Kaw Valley Precision 10oz Buffer (for a total reciprocal mass of 23.9oz), and Sprinco Orange (highest power in the lineup) Buffer Spring. Weapon cycles beautifully now and has retained bolt hold open.

Original post starter below:

I took my AR9 (Aero EPC-9) to the range this morning for its first test shots. It did not go well.

About the build:
- Aero upper, lower, bcg, barre, hand guard, charging handle
- geissele 3-gun trigger

First sign of not good: had what seemed like automatic fire. But I'm not 100% that the rifle just didn't bump fire against my finger - the trigger is silly light (that's another thing to rectify for me).

In attempting to rule out disconnect/reset issues, I made sure to hold the trigger down hard on the next shot. Next shot was fine, with the exception that the trigger never reset…I think the hammer just followed the bolt home.

Interesting. So I load 1 more - last round in the mag and boom she goes - magazine ejected to the floor and this little diddy in the chamber:

4CE94E04-C36C-48BD-B2A5-777040C7F659.jpeg

04C705BD-F865-490E-8230-46DD6CE46F25.jpeg

BE99D79A-D25C-4C4E-9615-7B50C03BA5F2.jpeg

There appears to be no damage to the barrel or bolt, firing pin, or extractor. Ejector, mag catch…everything looks good. Even the magazine seems to have come out alright.

So what are my possible causes for this?

Ammo was factory new CCI Blazer.

Last Edited:
If hammer was following and the bolt bounced due to too light a recoil spring, the discharge would have been out of battery. The 9mm bolt is not locking AFAIK. Cure the hammer follow with a different trigger unit and the problem should resolve.

Sounds like related to your malfunctioning fcg
This was a single round loaded though, not a follow up shot. I've definitely got two issues at play but I'm not seeing how the fcg issue could affect a single shot loaded.

FWIW, it's also an unsupported chamber. This is a snap cap:

D5D5269B-D4A0-4374-A0E0-852A6281D6C8.jpeg

Is that a Geissele Super Dynamic 3G trigger?
Yes. SD-3G
Bolt bounced causing the hammer to drop?
I was thinking so for the auto fire. This boom round was loaded single shot from the mag.

So, insert mag…drop bolt…aim…fire…boom. In any other case, I'd be thinking out of battery discharge due to bolt bounce and FCG issues…but this scenario has me stumped.

no; hammer was following from insufficient disconnector engagement and out of battery discharge occurred from either bolt bounce or weak brass/unsupported chamber.
Well, I've got a larue MBT, milspec from Phase5, and a Triggertech AR Diamond I could use…will give those a burn and update tomorrow I suppose.

Reason I ask is... I've heard of SD3G's having issues with PCC's...
(I have one in an AR...)

"Please note, our triggers are designed for mil-spec AR15/M4 carbine rifles. Our AR15 triggers are not compatible with the Sig MPX/MCX weapons or Pistol Caliber Carbine AR15/M4 variants. Using them in these platforms will void the warranty. Please refer to our Super MCX SSA or Super MPX SSA if you are using these platforms."

:(

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads