JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, out shooting with a friend yesterday and while she was behind the trigger, her rifle had a failure to fully feed. I noticed the bolt not all the way forward and pointed it out. She stopped and attempted to clear the action. It was stuck so I took the firearm, dropped the mag out and did a force clear against my leg. All good, EXCEPT . . .
The round that fell out was a factory Hornady .300 blackout. The rest of the freshly loaded ammo was Hornady (Frontier) .223.
How in the heck does a 300 blk get in a factory bow of .223????

And thank God that it didn't chamber all the way !!

Someone at the store was comparing them, then returned them to the wrong box.

How does a 300BO get loading into a magazine with 223 without being noticed?

Bruce

While not the same...but similar....

At one time I owned a Ruger No. 1 in .45-70....I also owed a few 1873 Springfield rifles....
A "Trapdoor safe " .45-70 load in a Ruger No. 1 ain't no big deal....
A Ruger No.1 load in a Trapdoor...sure would be a big deal.....:eek:

I always shot each rifle separately ....and put away the ammo for the Ruger No.1 , before shooting my Trapdoor rifles...
As well as storing and marking the ammo for each rifle.

Glad it all worked out for the OP....
Andy

Same way you fire a 9mm through a .40.
I've had buddies who have done the opposite and fired 5.56 through a 300 blackout on accident. It's very easy to get ammo swapped around when they are so close.

Ask me how I know. I've done it. Buddies have done it. When cases are that close and they use the same mag you are almost guaranteed to make that mistake atleast once.

I've had that happen to one of my rifles a few years back. A friend accidently loaded 300BLK in a 5.56mm. Yeah, Boom! Well not actually boom, but a really weird loud pop/clang. Fortunately no injuries, just elevated blood pressure. It destroyed the upper receiver, the bolt carrier group, and the magazine, and damaged, though not irreparably, the lower receiver. The bullet, a 130 grain soft point, was swaged through the bore, depositing lead all the way through. The barrel extrension was also cracked / destroyed.

The fixed lower is still in service without issue.

I've had that happen to one of my rifles a few years back. A friend accidently loaded 300BLK in a 5.56mm. Yeah, Boom! Well not actually boom, but a really weird loud pop/clang. Fortunately no injuries, just elevated blood pressure. It destroyed the upper receiver, the bolt carrier group, and the magazine, and damaged, though not irreparably, the lower receiver. The bullet, a 130 grain soft point, was swaged through the bore, depositing lead all the way through. The barrel extrension was also cracked / destroyed.

The fixed lower is still in service without issue.
Did it blow the baseplate, ammo and follower out the bottom of the magazine too?

Did it blow the baseplate, ammo and follower out the bottom of the magazine too?
Oh yeah!! and the mag itself fell out.

IMG_20150307_183711458_HDR.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany