JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
*cue* Back in my day... when I was 8 years old, I walked to many miles school in the snow. Uphill. BOTH WAYS.

Only part of that is true, but those were some peaceful winter walks considering I lived in the countryside.

The rise of crime, including trafficking, has made me wonder, how parents are able to let their children roam the world for something that should be as innocuous as walking to school. Perhaps parents have no choice (my mom certainly didn't). Perhaps they don't think it'll happen to them. Perhaps they remain ignorant, by choice or by chance.

I see my duty as a parent to protect and to prepare my child to take on whatever life throws at them, to make rational and logical decisions for their own life, and to be an upstanding citizen of their community and country... but it feels like the forces of evil are growing in numbers in recent times, making this essential responsibility more worrisome as the days go on.

Would like to hear your thoughts, perspectives, and experiences.

-Robert

The thought of restricting kids aka protecting them from the dangers of the world, is itself creating these new generations of kids and young adults who are not capable of functioning in the real world. Yes it is true that there are pedophiles, human trafficker's, gangs, drug dealers and any number of other nefarious individuals in our society. We think these evil people are lurking around every corner because the sensationalized media champions every evil act down our throats to make it seem like we are surrounded by evil with a human trafficker or pedophile behind every door. The truth of the matter is your child is much more likely to be sexually abused by a friend or relative, seriously hurt or killed in a car accident riding with their parent or make a bad decision due to lack of experience from over protective parenting.

Stop listening to the media and their stories about the world coming to an end and go for a walk or bike ride to school with your kid. Then when they know the way to school well, are confident in themselves and you have talked about plans of action in the case of an emergency, let them make the journey to school on their own. Take them out and expose them to the real world. Let them make decisions on their own in a controlled environment, offering only constructive feedback and suggestions so they begin to exercise their ability to think for themselves and act independently. The very act of "protecting" your children may be the one causing them the most harm in the long run when you consider the impact and behaviors that are established when they are young and carried throughout their adult lives.

If you feel safe enough to walk the same area with out carrying then sure. But if you feel the need to carry in the area and your kid can't then I would be cautious.

This kid was shot by a neighbor just out of hate for his race. It looks like social media played a part in the murderer's mindset.

The thought of restricting kids aka protecting them from the dangers of the world, is itself creating these new generations of kids and young adults who are not capable of functioning in the real world. Yes it is true that there are pedophiles, human trafficker's, gangs, drug dealers and any number of other nefarious individuals in our society. We think these evil people are lurking around every corner because the sensationalized media champions every evil act down our throats to make it seem like we are surrounded by evil with a human trafficker or pedophile behind every door. The truth of the matter is your child is much more likely to be sexually abused by a friend or relative, seriously hurt or killed in a car accident riding with their parent or make a bad decision due to lack of experience from over protective parenting.

Stop listening to the media and their stories about the world coming to an end and go for a walk or bike ride to school with your kid. Then when they know the way to school well, are confident in themselves and you have talked about plans of action in the case of an emergency, let them make the journey to school on their own. Take them out and expose them to the real world. Let them make decisions on their own in a controlled environment, offering only constructive feedback and suggestions so they begin to exercise their ability to think for themselves and act independently. The very act of "protecting" your children may be the one causing them the most harm in the long run when you consider the impact and behaviors that are established when they are young and carried throughout their adult lives.
Interesting thoughts. How old were your children when you let them roam free to school, the corner market, or ride their bike all the way to a friends house?

-Robert

Even when I was in my Eights, back in the 70's it wasn't exactly safe to be out alone, and even with a group of us kids, there were more then a few times we found out how dangerous things could be, lucky we were able to keep our wits about us and the rest of the times, we would RUNNOFT!
4th grade, some convicted felon/jail breaker (Rocky Butte Jail) was being chased through our school playground while we were all outside, that cop sure was set on catching that dude! Another time, had some dude drop trow and dangle his dink and asked the girls to play with it, dude was wacked out on PCP! Another time, dude broke out of Rocky Butte ( again) and was found in our next door neighbors shed, by the three police dogs that were hunting him! There were plenty of others, Mowhawk dude all wacked out on drugs walking around nekid and bloody. And there was the garbage man with the two Crazy sons, one with a metal plate in his head that had a impressive booger collection on his jacket sleeves, and the other who couldn't speak, and was well known to steal things! And last, but not least, there was Dixie, friend of all animals, if you spent any time in S.E. Portland during the 70's through the 90's, you know exactly who I'm talking about! Bat Sh!t Effing Crazy Lady on a bicycle! Yea, we didn't let her get anywhere near us, no matter what! Found out years later, she and her father were brutally murdured in their home and then the place set on fire, but the Fire Dept got it put out before the evidence was destroyed, there is still a cold case file open on that in Portland!

Last Edited:
My daughter did walk or ride her bike at times to her middle school.
We lived just about a mile away ....Small town...small school.

And yeah I know bad things can happen anywhere to include a small town.
With that said....
You gotta know your situation and do what is right or best for it....
which may be vastly different for someone or someplace else.
Andy

My daughter did walk or ride her bike at times to her middle school.
We lived just about a mile away ....Small town...small school.

And yeah I know bad things can happen anywhere to include a small town.
With that said....
You gotta know your situation and do what is right or best for it....
which may be vastly different for someone or someplace else.
Andy
And at some point you have to live your life. If you spend all of your time not dying, there'll be none left over for living.

And at some point you have to live your life. If you spend all of your time not dying, there'll be none left over for living.
5fd0639930937.jpeg

I'm gonna live forever.

-Robert

Sadly spent years living in W Seattle. Walked to school first couple years. Used to ride my bike around the block. NO WAY IN HELL I would allow that now. Really wonderful what the people there have decided to make of what used to be a very nice place to live. Amazing to see people ask for this year after year.

Are you absolutely sure that crime and child abductions are higher? And higher than what/when? What time period? When you were 8?

You should see if you can actually find the data for that. It may surprise you.

I'm of the opinion that todays parents over-protect their children. The rise in peanut allergies is a really good example of this.

Peanut allergies actually have increased significantly in recent times. But here's the thing with peanuts...it turns out that the vast majority of people have some level of immunity to peanuts when they're young. But in order to maintain that immunity, you have to actually consume peanuts.

Many parents, however, have simply decided not to give their children peanuts, to avoid any risk. This comes from a good place...wanting to protect their children. The parents think they're doing a good thing, but by not exposing their kids to peanuts, they are actually making them far more allergic to peanuts.

Our society has gone way over the line with over-protecting our kids. And this actually comes at a pretty severe cost. Because there is much to be learned from a "free-range" childhood. It teaches kids to be self sufficient, to take risks, to explore, to navigate the world on their own, and in a huge way to NOT be fearful.

I don't know your area and how safe or unsafe it truly is. And I can't tell you whether you should let your kids walk to and from school...or what age to start letting them do that. But make sure you truly understand the cost and impacts of that decision. Because the impacts most certainly are NOT zero.

Also...we have a lot of technology today and maybe there's some ways you can help mitigate the risks if you do decide to let them walk to school. For example, you can give them cell phones, and shove a couple GPS tracking tiles into their pockets and backpacks. There's probably even something like a panic button where all they have to do is hit one button an you get ping'd that they need help. You may also be able to have them walk in groups with other kids. :)

Mic Drop.....

People have raised kids with zero common sense. Zero concern for anyone but themselves. Oh they've got concern about some things and worry themselves into weirdos with things like TRUMP will destroy our democracy. And the earth will end in 12 years if we don't stop climate change. But learning to do something themselves like repair a flat on their own bicycle? Or change a tire by the side of the road on the car? Or look up from their GD phones while their crossing the street. Making eye contact with the drivers of car(S) to see if they're actually going to stop before they step out in the road.

And somehow for the last 20-30 years people have taught their kids they don't need to do anything like work for a living. <<<This sentiment comes from the stories heard daily from a wife that has had to pick up the extra work because of these entitled little bubblegums.

Heck no. After two years of not being able to step foot outside, Doomscrolling tictoc and zoomschooling they'd mistake a Do Not Walk sign for a milkshake.

I was born in '71 and grew up in Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley at the height of the (IMO, BS) war on drugs. My "father" ran off to Colorado early on so when I was about 9 or 10 my mother would take me on what I would later call "sleaze tours" through all of LAs hot spots. She grew up streetwise and decided to pass her street smarts on to me. Some did not approve, but I can say that I am eternally grateful to her for doing this.

My best friends dad was a narcotics detective with an LACSD heavy offenders unit. He would take us both on similar tours.
Neither my mom nor my friends dad held anything back about what kind of orcs and goblins were out and about. We heard it all: hookers, pimps pushers, thugs, chicken hawks, you name it.

This unconventional education helped us to avoid trouble that may have been looking for us, I cant say it helped with the trouble we looked for on our own though.

Sadly, the sheriff was eventually indicted along with the rest of his unit for skimming drug money and weapons, among other things. I guess that was mine and my buddies final lesson.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top