JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read online that reloading 5.56 is not a great option, due to the pressure deforming the brass. Is this true? Can it be reshaped to load 300 aac reliably? What other rifle rounds are worth saving / reloading in terms of the number of reloads one can use the brass for?

All brass lives matter lol. I am not sure who bent your ear but 5.56x45 is quite reloadable and in most cases can be modded into 300blk as well. As far other chamberings worth saving brass for? All of them, unless you are hotrodding them or shooting out of a gun that is hard on brass, you should expect an average of around 6 loadings from a case.

I've read online that reloading 5.56 is not a great option, due to the pressure deforming the brass. Is this true?
"pressure deforming the brass' ?

Truly one of the strangest things I have ever heard of considering the countless numbers of 5.56/.223 ammo that is reloaded daily - including my own.

If you read it online then it must be true. Only you can decide if reloading any caliber is worth it for you. Same deal with making one caliber out of another.

The short and sweet answer is yes. Especially in times like these (as mentioned earlier).
The 5.56/.223,is probably one of THE most commonly reloaded and transformed cases in the world.

Wow only six reloads out of a piece of brass.

My oldest son was shooting alot of 45acp. He quit counting after the 52nd reload on his cases.
You can not read the head stamp on them anymore.

Wow only six reloads out of a piece of brass.

My oldest son was shooting alot of 45acp. He quit counting after the 52nd reload on his cases.
You can not read the head stamp on them anymore.
Low pressure Straight walled pistol cases will last a lot longer than bottle necked cases. Not as much stretching and resizing back down.

Unless you're a bench rest shooter. They'll get an absurd amount of reloads out of their brass due to the tight fitment of the brass in their chambers.

What other rifle rounds are worth saving / reloading
Oh most all.
Here are just a few of mine that are rolling around....
IMG_2095[1].JPG

Always worth it to reload!!!

unfortunately it tends to be a rabbit hole that you can fall into quite quickly....next thing you know you have multiple presses, bench swaggers, Pounds of powder and your measuring your components in the multiple thousands.....but it's all worth it especially in times like these.

Ignoring the fact for the moment that I'm a poor old vet living on three pensions here in yUK, where things are pretty much twice what they cost in the USA anyhow, but if I didn't reload my centre-fire ammunition, or cast for my muzzleloaders, I'd be looking for something else to do to fill my days until it's over.

In enjoy reloading it saves a bit of money and allows you to load lighter loads for target shooting Don't need 5.56 pressures to put holes in paper.

Last Edited:
One thing I have heard about converting .223/5.56 brass to 300blk is that part of the case body becomes the neck of the reformed brass, and that some brands of brass have wall thicknesses that can cause function or bullet tension issues. I have seen a chart online with common once fired brass case wall thicknesses, with recommendations.

I do not know if this is really an issue as I have always used once fired Lake City brass only, without any issues for about 2k rounds, supers and subs.

Not everything is true cuz it's on the Internet. Good thing that you are fact checking this because it is bumpkus assertion.:s0143::s0143::s0143:

Not challenging your wisdom, oh great slayer of the kokanee, but....When turning .223/5.56 brass into 300 blackout brass isn't it possible that the thickness of the neck walls will be greater than factory new 300 blackout brass due to necking down? Maybe it doesn't matter? Enough room in the chamber?

Not challenging your wisdom, oh great slayer of the kokanee, but....When turning .223/5.56 brass into 300 blackout brass isn't it possible that the thickness of the neck walls will be greater than factory new 300 blackout brass due to necking down? Maybe it doesn't matter? Enough room in the chamber?
Yes it can be an issue. Usually not though because exactly what you said about chamber forgiveness. There are tons of people who have and still do use 5.56 brass or .223 brass to make 300blk.

It CAN be an issue though so it's always good to have the tools necessary to measure these things.

It is comical though what caveman brought to light. Don't trust everything you read on the Internet.

Of course we also are the "internet" lol :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads