Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Woman finds loaded gun on toy

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Cougfan2, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

2. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Could be worse. Could have been a .22 cartridge in the gutter :wow:

3. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates WA Member

Sweet, free SP101. They were even nice enough to load it! .357 mag ain't cheap.

4. Cougfan2

Haha, that was my first thought too. Why can't people leave guns at my house. Just toss it over the fence. I'll clean it up.

5. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

One can only hope. I just put toys out on my front and back porches. Crossing fingers!

6. Bunny

Bunny Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I'd be pretty pissed if someone left a loaded gun among my toddler's toys too.

7. Cougfan2

I don't blame you, but this woman acted like she was afraid it was going to get up and chase her around the house.

8. FTG

FTG Portland Member

xx

9. Bunny

I would have handled the situation differently, but I think her reaction was fair, given her circumstance. When you don't know what to do about something threatening or something you fear, it's a pretty natural response to avoid contact with it. And when you're home alone with a child and there's a gun sitting outside your house in a very conspicuous and suspicious manner it's probably wise to let police investigate. Especially if you're a woman and you have little to no gun knowledge. Plus you don't know who's still out there or why they left it in plain sight like that.

And I think it's ridiculous that mentioning a child being in the house should make the call any more or less important. Leaving guns unattended in the open public is pretty dangerous imo.

I think you guys forget that the average person probably isn't prepared or trained to deal with stuff like that. They should be, but they just aren't.

10. old_heli_logger

old_heli_logger Hillsboro, Oregon Member

I just lined my backyard with holsters...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

11. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Dang it!!!!! I live too far out in the sticks to have the .357 bunny visit my house...you city-dwellers get ALL the breaks!!!!!!!

12. Mica

Mica Eugene Active Member

When I got married my wife thought a live round could spontaniously discharge if you droped it. She has since then been educated and now she shoots more than i.

13. Bunny

mGun.gif rabbit2.gif

:laugh:

14. Topper

Topper Seattle, WA Member

I confess i have a strange habit of looking at ditches/etc by the side of the road when walking around the neighborhood for the sole purpose of spotting either a free firearm or bundle of cash...

Hasn't happened yet... clearly I live in the wrong area...

15. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

+1

16. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Well that shows how much the idiot sheep in Illinois have been reprogrammed to think all guns are bad and dangerous. Bet one of her relatives forgot it at the last family BBQ and now he'll get caught for that drive by, it is Detroit ya know.

17. Cougfan2

While I understand your point, IMO the woman grossly overreacted. I mean seriously, calling the local action news line? Then again, some people freak out if they see a snake, even if it's 20 feet away.

BTW, I never suggested it was unwise to call the police, I would have too in that situation if for no other reason than the gun may have been stolen and used in a crime.

18. Cougfan2

:laugh:

19. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

What, she could not keep the child inside untill her "emergency" was handled.

It looked like the gun had been treated like crap. It mist likely ran away and thought it could find a good home with the nice lady. And the mean old woman call the Po-lice ont the poor helplesss gun. Bad, woman, bad!!!

I am glad she called 911 her lack of knowledge was more dangerous then the gun.

20. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Bunny has a very valid point, she said,, >I think you guys forget that the average person probably isn't prepared or trained to deal with stuff like that. They should be, but they just aren't.< That about hit the nail on the head. Education is where it starts.