JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm seriously contemplating selling some of my firearms out of state, just to avoid the BGC backlog in Oregon.
I joined Southwest Firearms the other day to place them up for sale on that site, as I don't want to sell them on Gun Broker or other online sale venues.

Last Edited:
Hrmmm... methinks at this point, getting rid of AR's is not such a good idea....
1682527397359.png

Aloha, Mark

AR parts are legal to buy in and out of state.
This seems to be kind of "up in the air" right now. I did not bother to wade through the entire new law since I doubt I would fully understand it all if I did. The gist seems to be that some are taking it that parts can not be bought and sold. Some companies are now no longer willing to sell them to WA state while (for now at least) others are. So bottom line be careful here.

This seems to be kind of "up in the air" right now. I did not bother to wade through the entire new law since I doubt I would fully understand it all if I did. The gist seems to be that some are taking it that parts can not be bought and sold. Some companies are now no longer willing to sell them to WA state while (for now at least) others are. So bottom line be careful here.
This is probably what you heard about:
"(iii) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled or from which a firearm can be converted into an assault weapon if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;"

This reads like the rule with SBRs that if you own only one AR15 rifle and another AR15 pistol upper, there is a presumption that you are going to assemble an illegal SBR by combining the two.

In this case, it would be if you had a regular "post ban" 10/22 and ordered a folding stock for it and you have no other pre-ban type rifle for the folding stock to go on. That purchase would violate the law. But the law doesn't apply unless that combination of parts exists by the same person. So the law does not read like a general block on parts (an AR15 handguard won't work on a 10/22), but a ban on purchasing the parts necessary to make an "assault rifle" out of something else.

This would apply to people sitting on unbuilt AR15 stripped lowers. They aren't "assault rifles" on their own, and if you don't have the parts to build them up already, those parts would be illegal to buy. But that would be difficult for LE to demonstrate, and therefore enforce.

So I highly doubt there is a general ban on replacement parts. There never was during the '94 Ban. It is just plain impossible to enforce the movement of small, unserialized parts.

"(iii) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled or from which a firearm can be converted into an assault weapon if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;"

This reads like the rule with SBRs that if you own only one AR15 rifle and another AR15 pistol upper, there is a presumption that you are going to assemble an illegal SBR by combining the two.

In this case, it would be if you had a regular "post ban" 10/22 and ordered a folding stock for it and you have no other pre-ban type rifle for the folding stock to go on. That purchase would violate the law. But the law doesn't apply unless that combination of parts exists by the same person. So the law does not read like a general block on parts (an AR15 handguard won't work on a 10/22), but a ban on purchasing the parts necessary to make an "assault rifle" out of something else.

This would apply to people sitting on unbuilt AR15 stripped lowers. They aren't "assault rifles" on their own, and if you don't have the parts to build them up already, those parts would be illegal to buy. But that would be difficult for LE to demonstrate, and therefore enforce.

So I highly doubt there is a general ban on replacement parts. There never was during the '94 Ban. It is just plain impossible to enforce the movement of small, unserialized parts.
Sounds about right but it seems to be scaring some of the retailers and I can see why. There was some talk of this yesterday where someone said Brownells will no longer ship AR parts. I logged into my account there and they did indeed say no AR lower parts. So went to Midway, logged into my account and put one in cart. All it said was "if you add $15 free ship". So I put 2 lower parts kits in and they now show they shipped. Since I have a few AR lowers I have had for many years I was not too worried someone from the AG's office is going to show up. If they did I would just say these are spare parts for what I already own. What I personally would not do right now is sell any of this stuff myself. Until this law shakes out I will go with caution. Several seem to be all upset with the places that just cut off shipping to WA but I do not blame them one bit. The AG could care less about me but, I could easily see him going after large places just because he can and does not care how much tax money he wastes. He (AG) has been wetting his pants for years to be the Gov here. Hopefully more voters here will wake the hell up when he runs and not put him in that spot.

Sounds about right but it seems to be scaring some of the retailers and I can see why. There was some talk of this yesterday where someone said Brownells will no longer ship AR parts. I logged into my account there and they did indeed say no AR lower parts. So went to Midway, logged into my account and put one in cart. All it said was "if you add $15 free ship". So I put 2 lower parts kits in and they now show they shipped. Since I have a few AR lowers I have had for many years I was not too worried someone from the AG's office is going to show up. If they did I would just say these are spare parts for what I already own. What I personally would not do right now is sell any of this stuff myself. Until this law shakes out I will go with caution. Several seem to be all upset with the places that just cut off shipping to WA but I do not blame them one bit. The AG could care less about me but, I could easily see him going after large places just because he can and does not care how much tax money he wastes. He (AG) has been wetting his pants for years to be the Gov here. Hopefully more voters here will wake the hell up when he runs and not put him in that spot.
The easiest thing to do is walk into a large WA retailer and see if they will sell you a flash hider. I'll bet all of them will.

The easiest thing to do is walk into a large WA retailer and see if they will sell you a flash hider. I'll bet all of them will.
Next time I get to the range they have a shop there. I will have to wander in and see if they are selling this stuff. Will be interesting to see if they are.
Edit:
Well looks like I got the answer already. Went to one of the larger places here I have been buying from for Decades, Welchers. They have AR stripped lowers and complete lowers listed for sale right now. No notice saying they can't sell them. Very damn strange. Will have to wander into the shop at my range and see what they are doing.

It utterly baffles me that others have not understood this yet.

Concerning parts;
"(iii) A conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled or from which a firearm can be converted into an assault weapon..."

It's ubiquitous. Combination of parts could reference a conversion kit, ie. parts to make a conversion kit or it could have meant to stand alone. The last portion, "assault weapon can be assembled" would not be required in that case. You can't assemble a 'assault weapon' with a conversion kit.

It's my understanding certain parts are currently illegal to purchase; parts considered for operation of the firearm and parts which define an 'assault weapon', ie. vertical grip, flash hider, etc. Other accessories like optics, lights, etc. are still legal.

So if I buy a flash hider to replace another on something already an assault weapon, there is no conversion, no new assault weapon has been created.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top