JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The chamber "could be" .30-06' Ackley Improved, which was P.O. Ackley's work that took the venerable '06 just a little closer to the vaunted 300 H&H Magnum. Firing some moderate powered handloads will fire-form the case and you can then measure with your calipers. One way to find out, eh?

Last Edited:
The chamber "could be" .30-06' Ackley Improved, which was P.O. Ackley's work that took the venerable '06 just a little closer to the vaunted 300 H&H Magnum. Firing some moderate powered handloads will fire-form the case and you can then measure with your calipers. One way to find out, eh?
Does this Ackley chamber use normal off the shelf 30-06?

Does this Ackley chamber use normal off the shelf 30-06?
Yes. Mind you, this is all "IF" and that is a huge word. However, standard cases chamber and fire perfectly well. And the finished product is an "Improved" cartridge. 3000 FPS with a 150 grain and about 2825 FPS with a 180. Pretty serious North American game cartridge.

*** Consider buying a copy of Cartridges of the World - it is the standard reference and allows you to make sense of all the chamberings these days, all of the old cartridgers, all cartridges actually. Some will amaze you. Like 20,000 Lbs of muzzle energy. And it's not .50 BMG.

Is the ammo factory ammo? He could have already fire formed 30-06 cases, in which case, examine the shoulder. It also could be he had yet to shoot the ammo for fire forming. :)

It looks like a 30-05 will chamber in an A.I. chamber but the reverse isn't true.
http://sportingshooter.com.au/ask-uncle-nick/the-30-06-improved/

The shoulder of the A.I. case will make contact with the beginning of the shoulder of the 30-06 chamber and go no further.

FYI re: 30.06 AI

30-06-imp1.jpg

Here is a pic of the cartridges in question:

I labeled each one, as they came out of the boxes. Zero is NEW UMC factory ammo for comparison. One is Win Super X Olin manufactured. two through 5 are what I am guessing are the reloads. Cases are all identical, some of the bullets are a little different, look to me like mostly soft point hunting loads.

cases.jpg

Here is a pic of the cartridges in question:

I labeled each one, as they came out of the boxes. Zero is NEW UMC factory ammo for comparison. One is Win Super X Olin manufactured. two through 5 are what I am guessing are the reloads. Cases are all identical, some of the bullets are a little different, look to me like mostly soft point hunting loads.

View attachment 1249738
Might be the camera, but some of those necks look a lot longer than others.

Okay,..... next stupid question. To the hunters using 30-06 (if this in fact works out for me) would you or have you threaded the barrel, for a muzzle attachment, brake, flash hider, combo? The barrel does not have a front sight.

Okay,..... next stupid question. To the hunters using 30-06 (if this in fact works out for me) would you or have you threaded the barrel, for a muzzle attachment, brake, flash hider, combo? The barrel does not have a front sight.
Personal choice here plays a large role....for me , Nope...no need for any of those items.
Andy

I'm in agreement with @Andy54Hawken on this. 30-06 really doesn't need a brake, and even if you do there are always unintended consequences like ear destroying noise, and venting gasses causing dust (makes it hard to track the animal) or even getting small rocks blown into your eyes when shooting prone.

IMO the only reason* to thread the barrel of a hunting rifle is for a suppressor. Note that in some countries these are not regulated items and are required for hunting. Benefits are they easier on the shooter's ears and less disturbing to others nearby. Disadvantages are more weight and a longer barrel. Bust use is with an efficient short action cartridge that doesn't need a barrel longer than 20" and shorter is better.

IMO your rifle is good to go without modifications. All it needs is a scope that fits where/how you hunt and enough trigger time to learn that particular rifle.

* other than it's your rifle and you want to

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews