JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't see anyway around not having a casting done. Of course... if you can't do it yourself that'll cost more than the rifle is worth and ruin the barrel anyway so... if I were you, I would just sell it for what you have into it and wash my hands of it.

Call me. I'll toss in an extra 50 for your trouble.

:s0140:
(Noicce find!)

When you find out, stamp it on the barrel bottom under the stock.

[/URL]

Bruce
roger that :)
I don't see anyway around not having a casting done. Of course... if you can't do it yourself that'll cost more than the rifle is worth and ruin the barrel anyway so... if I were you, I would just sell it for what you have into it and wash my hands of it.

Call me. I'll toss in an extra 50 for your trouble.

:s0140:
(Noicce find!)
So is 1,000,000,00 too much? I was feeling generous...

Is the bolt hand engraved with a serial number that matches the rifle?

1658876365680.png

Take it to a gunsmith and have them tell you what it's chambered in. It's also a good idea to get it inspected especially if little is known about the rifle. The only downside of taking it to a gunsmith is that you will likely buy another rifle you never knew you needed before you looked at their used stock.

If you are near Estacada then our own @Velzey (https://www.copelandgunworks.com/) does outstanding work.

Take it to a gunsmith and have them tell you what it's chambered in. It's also a good idea to get it inspected especially if little is known about the rifle. The only downside of taking it to a gunsmith is that you will likely buy another rifle you never knew you needed before you looked at their used stock.

If you are near Estacada then our own @Velzey (https://www.copelandgunworks.com/) does outstanding work.
I have a call into him. He's busy..

Yes, The bolt matches the serial number (well last three numbers). Although it does not have the large external extractor that the one pictured above has.
It's likely then you can get Winchester to do a serial check and let you know exactly what it is.

It's likely then you can get Winchester to do a serial check and let you know exactly what it is.
well, I'm not sure that will help, since IMO it has been re-barrelled, with what looks like a very nice one. Unfortunately, it is not marked, and I am too much of a chicken, or just not drunk enough to try to chamber a round LOL.

well, I'm not sure that will help, since IMO it has been re-barrelled, with what looks like a very nice one. Unfortunately, it is not marked, and I am too much of a chicken, or just not drunk enough to try to chamber a round LOL.
Safe beats sorry... for sure.

You could always after determining bolt face dimensions since you know it is 30 caliber, remove the bolt and drop a 308 winchester empty case into the chamber. If it drops into the chamber farther than flush with end of barrel try to to drop a 30-06 case in. If it ends up flush with end of barrel, it is either that or a round based on that parent case. If it has a magnum bolt face this won't work if based on a belted magnum round. But it could tell you if it is a short magnum if the case wont go in all the way. An Ackley improved case will headspace the same as the parent cartridge. That is when fire forming a case with the cream of wheat will give you a case formed to your chamber. You don't even have to be drunk to safely try this. Your gun won't fire with an empty case and no bolt in it.

Well, I think the mystery is solved. The PO's son found 6 boxes of ammo his dad had, that came with the rifle, and take a wild guess what caliber it is. 30-06.
So even though the barrel has been changed, and is not marked, this was his main hunting rifle, and the evidence of the ammo he had on hand bears out my theory. Still plan on getting a chamber cast done.

Still have gunsmith confirm but:

Insert a bullet into the muzzle and see where it stops. If it stops at the ogive, then 30 cal.

Remove bolt and "Plunk Test" a round into the chamber (Mentioned above). If it drops right in then more than likely it is 30-06.

Still have gunsmith confirm but:

Insert a bullet into the muzzle and see where it stops. If it stops at the ogive, then 30 cal.

Remove bolt and "Plunk Test" a round into the chamber (Mentioned above). If it drops right in then more than likely it is 30-06.
I intend to. But yes the plunk test passed.
Just also verified the ogive on all of these rounds as well. They all match

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews