JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I recently acquired a Win Model 70, as far as I can tell, with the long action. Unfortunately It is not marked with the caliber.
I looks like a 30-06, but could also be .270 Win, , 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag. I really have no idea. I hope it's a .30-06, but I really have no way of telling. Any ideas on how I can tell? Thanks in advance.
Greg

One option would be to cast the chamber and then measure the casting.
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10387

1658855521763.png

(For Reference) This gentlemen makes a casting around the seven minute mark.

Hmmm....
Is this a production Winchester...if so it should be marked as to caliber.
Just what are the markings on the rifle...?
A picture here would be helpful.

With that said...the Winchester Model 70 action has been the basis of many a custom rifle...so markings may or may not be helpful if this is the case here.
Andy

Hmmm....
Is this a production Winchester...if so it should be marked as to caliber.
Just what are the markings on the rifle...?
A picture here would be helpful.

With that said...the Winchester Model 70 action has been the basis of many a custom rifle...so markings may or may not be helpful if this is the case here.
Andy
I believe it has been costomized. The previous owner (RIP) was a custom nut. He was a reloader/smith/etc.. The only markings is the winchester logo, and the serial number.

If you have the ammo you think it is, you could try chambering them, though it's really no guarantee of correctness. I have a gut feeling it's a wildcat if the previous owner was as much of a custom freak as you say. Could be as simple as a 30-06 AI or as wild as .22 eargesplitten loudenboomer. Chamber casting is more than likely the safest way to go here

If you have the ammo you think it is, you could try chambering them, though it's really no guarantee of correctness. I have a gut feeling it's a wildcat if the previous owner was as much of a custom freak as you say. Could be as simple as a 30-06 AI or as wild as .22 eargesplitten loudenboomer. Chamber casting is more than likely the safest way to go here
out of the 4 rifles of this estate that I have inspected, one is a model 98 (k98) sporterized, and chambered in 25-06. The other was a Swedish mouser type action, in 280. The last one was an unmarked mouser type action, in 7MM. I think probably 7MM mouser. Then the win model 70 with no cal markings.
incidently, I measured the bore at the muzzle, and it show .30

They've made a lot of Model 70s in 85 years. All Winchester barrels are roll marked with the chambering on the left side, ahead of the chamber. If not, then a chamber cast is the only way of knowing. And, since that is a replacement barrel, it could be for a wildcat cartridge, or an "improved" version of a standard cartridge. Cerrosafe is the solution. If it is a pre-'64 version, it has/had substantial value.

Remove the stock to see the bottom of the barrel. Sometimes chambering is stamped there, so as not to mar the visible part of the barrel with crude stamps.

Bruce

They've made a lot of Model 70s in 85 years. All Winchester barrels are roll marked with the chambering on the left side, ahead of the chamber. If not, then a chamber cast is the only way of knowing. And, since that is a replacement barrel, it could be for a wildcat cartridge, or an "improved" version of a standard cartridge. Cerrosafe is the solution. If it is a pre-'64 version, it has/had substantial value.
it is a G205 serial number range, so it should date it to post 92.

Find a magnum and standard size empty cases. See which fits the bolt face.

Then find as many empty, different size cases as possible of that head size and try chambering them. This won't tell you what it is, but will tell you what it isn't. The possibles will chamber, the impossibles won't.

Now you are getting closer.

:)

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR