JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wrote to the four Representatives that voted against House bill 1016. So far I only got a reply from Representative Hunter.

Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:44 PM
To: Hunter, Rep. Ross
Subject: Why vote against bill 1016?

Representative Hunter,

I worked for the last three years to make it legal to use suppressors on firearms in Washington. This included research on how rarely suppressors were associated with crime, meeting with Representatives to discuss the suppressor use bill, producing a video on suppressor use and writing letters. Except for the crime research, I received little feedback on most of my efforts.

Using a firearm with or without a suppressor is analogous to riding a motorcycle with or without a muffler. Firearm suppressors are used for exactly the same reasons engine mufflers are used on vehicles. I was wondering what reasons you had for voting against House bill 1016. Since suppressors have always been legal to make and own in the United States and Washington state, what objections do you have to the use of registered ones? Thank you.

Randall Bragge

His reply;

I voted against it because I am concerned about them getting into the wrong hands. I am in a decidedly minority position on the bill, so I wouldn’t worry about it passing. You did a good job prepping the bill – I’m not all that upset about it and might have voted for it if the vote was close enough that my vote mattered.

Rep. Ross Hunter
Chair, Ways and Means
[email protected]

Does his reply make any sense at all to anyone here? It didn't to me. I wrote back trying to explain why his reply did not make sense.

Ranb

I got another reply;
I understand this. My theory is that with the use becoming legal more people will get them, and consequently more will wind up in the wrong place. Today it’s pretty silly to buy one of these and not be able to use it.

Rep. Ross Hunter
Chair, Ways and Means
[email protected]
A fence sitter who sides with tyranny. :(

Ranb

Probably as much effort he put into his decision to vote yes or no. It appears that this is an example of prejudice in action.

Ranb

maybe he is of the opinion that if someone someday gets popped for use of a stolen one he can get some backing from the anti gun crowd for his "mind" that doesn't seem to care one way or another.

He might have voted for it if it was close enough that his vote would have mattered?
This isn't a sporting event where it's fun to cheer for the underdog... Get educated and take a stance!

He's a politician, what do you expect. Seriously? Whats that saying; if you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with bullhockey. His reply fits that extremely well. Vague and non-commital as only a poli can do

He's a politician, what do you expect. Seriously? Whats that saying; if you can't dazzle them with brillance, baffle them with bullhockey. His reply fits that extremely well. Vague and non-commital as only a poli can do

Politicians are among the same order of bottom-feeding scum as lawyers and tweakers.

I voted against it because I am concerned about them getting into the wrong hands. I am in a decidedly minority position on the bill, so I wouldn't worry about it passing. You did a good job prepping the bill – I'm not all that upset about it and might have voted for it if the vote was close enough that my vote mattered.

Rep. Ross Hunter
Chair, Ways and Means
[email protected]

Translation. " I'm behind you 100%, until I have to be, you know, behind you"

If his constituents don't like his vote they will remove him from office. My guess is they won't care.
Not enough people care about silencers in WA to affect the position of anyone in Olympia. I think it is just lip service for most of the politicians. Most gun owners do not care about silencers, so the no votes will not make their legislator look anti-gun in their eyes.

Ranb

Interesting thread. Thank you for your efforts Ranb on this, I considered this very thing, asking the 4 'nays' why they voted so. I decided not to b/c I've just become so accustomed to zero responses from my or any representatives. Mini props to him for responding, but you're right, his reply doesn't make much sense. I guess I can KIND of see where he was going, increased volume does create potential for increased theft, there are more in the community. But, those who take the time effort to obtain these items are probably the same ones who won't be leaving them under their front seat for some smash and grab tweaker to steal. He's also making some weird assumption that by having one a criminal will do something he might not otherwise do? I guess he doesn't understand they have proprietary threading systems and such, so if it was stolen in/of itself it's rather useless unless the criminal has the right pistol, in the right caliber, with a threaded barrel... you can see where I'm going b/c you pointed out right away, his "logic" makes no sense...

Probably as much effort he put into his decision to vote yes or no. It appears that this is an example of prejudice in action.

Ranb
Spot on, he obviously hasn't thought this through...

Representative Springer wrote back. He said there was a problem with the voting system. He claimed to have voted yes; I believe him as he is one of the bill 1016 sponsors. :) I should have checked the list of sponsors closer before I sent my e-mail.

Ranb

I do not know how the voting system works in Olympia, but maybe he pressed the no button instead of the yes button?

Ranb

Interesting thread. Thank you for your efforts Ranb on this, I considered this very thing, asking the 4 'nays' why they voted so. I decided not to b/c I've just become so accustomed to zero responses from my or any representatives. Mini props to him for responding, but you're right, his reply doesn't make much sense. I guess I can KIND of see where he was going, increased volume does create potential for increased theft, there are more in the community. But, those who take the time effort to obtain these items are probably the same ones who won't be leaving them under their front seat for some smash and grab tweaker to steal. He's also making some weird assumption that by having one a criminal will do something he might not otherwise do? I guess he doesn't understand they have proprietary threading systems and such, so if it was stolen in/of itself it's rather useless unless the criminal has the right pistol, in the right caliber, with a threaded barrel... you can see where I'm going b/c you pointed out right away, his "logic" makes no sense...

Spot on, he obviously hasn't thought this through...

I know you are doing everything you can Rand,but this may be something the lawmakers don't have a clue about.
They may think Tommy Tweeker can steal your 9mm silencer and use it on their 45 or whatever.

Too bad they aren't as concerned about your identity ending up in the wrong hands or maybe a WA driver's license getting in the hands of an illegal who votes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top