JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Around 40,000 years ago, Heero, a clever guy, was out fishing one day with a pole and piece of sinew dangling off the end.

Nothing was biting.

Idling around, as one does, he wondered what would happen if he tied the sinew to the other end as well, and, bending the pole, did so. He twanged it a couple of times, and then thought WOW!, I wonder if I can make a tune with it. Pluck, pluck, pluck etc. Hmm, I seem to have invented something without any kind of tune, maybe I'll call it the 'banjo'...and he did. Tiring quickly of making plunk plunk sounds, he had another thought. I wonder, he wondered, if 'scraping' a piece of stick across the string might get me better results...Finding a handy piece of straight wood, he futzed around with it, first wiping it across the 'string', as he now thought of it, and then, having no result, he stuck one end of it ON the string and pulled it back. That did nothing either, until he let it go, and to his utter 'mazement, that stick flew off his 'banjo' and hit his pal in the bubblegum. Hey! - shouted his pal, you some kind of wise guy? Take a 'bow', cretin! Well, he did, and that's how the 'bow', as it was originally called, was invented.

Pretty soon, with little else to do, he dropped the banjo idea for another time, and concentrated on the bow, and pretty soon found out that shooting pointy sticks at people in the bubblegum, could easily REALLY hurt them, and they'd get so annoyed they'd catch him and beat the ever-loving bubblegume out of him. Off in a sulk, he was wandering around the local woods when he came upon the local dinosaur [this is a story, right?], checking his eyelids for holes in a little glade. Hauling back on his 'bow', he let loose one of his pointy sticks at the dozing dino, To his amazement, having been stuck in the gizzard by a lucky shot, it just up and died.

The idea of a HUNTING 'bow' was born.

Needless to say, he publicised his discovery at the next cave whoop-up, getting some advance publicity, as 'twere. by doing a few sketches on the wall of his cave to show folks what might be possible [you can still see his 'stick-men' hunters today, if you go over to Lasceaux, France]. It caught on BIG-time, and soon everybody was using his 'bow' to hunt stuff with. It goes without saying that you only need to hunt stuff that is running away from you, or rather less fun, toward you, with teeth. Fruit and vegetables, on the other hand, just kinda lay there, doing nothing, and really didn't need much effort to catch, and the task of growing them and - even eating them - was given over to Dweeb the Nerd and his skinny pals and wimmin, too, while Heero and his 'bow'hunting pals developed enviable sets of muscles all over from the exercise they got chasing wild game, and improved their capacity for reasoning and intelligent decision-making - strategies for survival - because of having to outwit the clever game, which, more or less up to then, had been WAAAY cleverer than the nut and berry-eating humans, themselves pretty tasty for those animals with the necessary teeth that liked that kind of thing..

Hence the saying - prolly one of the oldest in Mankind - 'you don't need to shoot froot'. A lesson for all of us there, folks.

Those who till the soil will do it for those who have the bow.

tac

Last Edited:
Until a group of smaller weaker men from the Metrosexual tribe, Rallied a majority of the people to ban the Bow!

They were frightened by the new weapon. It's very need made there world feel unsafe and scary.
They new they could be injured if they had to use the Bow. And so they feared it's very existence.
And to make matters worse. All the ''Boom boom'' with the cave girls. Was now going to the strong and muscular Hunters!

Well the hunters said ''Screw this''!
And took off with half the cave women. But left the insecure and high maintenance ones behind.

These women liked the girly men. As they were soft and easy to control.
These men ate fruit and were given an occasional ''Boom boom'' to keep them in line.

Things were peaceful for a long time. And the Metrosexuals were happy in there choice to ban the Bow.
They shared in the interests of the women. And forgot all about the burden of being a protector. A ''Man''

But sadly for them. The day came when the Local Lions noticed the People were week. And had no Bows.
And they made quick work of turning them into Lion poop. :D

The Hunters went on to live in caves. They killed all the local lions. And used there skins as rugs. Never feeling guilty for protecting there women and children from the reality of the world. Or there place atop the food chain.

Occasionally one of the hunters would smack his cave girl on the a$$ as she walked by to fetched him a leg of roasted lion off the spit.

And She would scream ''Knock that off''!
But really, she liked it. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last Edited:
Interestingly enough, meat was a small portion of diets prior to domestication.

I get that early man had a tough time of it.
In reality he scavenged kills and took what he could from both plants and hunting.

Reading Edgar Rice Burroughs and his Land That Time Forgot series or his Pellucidar books which has all those great images of one man hunting down and killing a mammoth or a T-Rex is still an excellent way to get your "caveman" thrills.
Plus the paperbacks usually have those great Frazetta and Boris covers with half naked busty women.
Andy

Interestingly enough, meat was a small portion of diets prior to domestication.

I'm sure globally that your right.

However I would bet. The native Americans that lived in the great plains probably ate more meat. Having large heards of buffalo to follow.

And the people living along the coast had year around supplies of fish, mammals and crustations to eat. As well as an abundant supply of shellfish. So they ate a lot too.

Many northern Native tribes like the Eskimo. Ate almost nothing but meat!
Wile tribes where I grew up followed the seasonal salmon runs and plant growth cycles. Berries, roots and the like, made up much of there food source.

So while most may not have had access to a lot of meat. Many did. ;)

The spear aka "sharp pointy stick" preceded the bow and was used to bring down everything from cave bear, wooly mammoth and what have you. Fishing too. Slings and stones sufficed for small game, likely by women and kids out foraging for vegetables, herbs and fruit... One does wonder how the bow and arrow came to be, where and when...

I guess we'll never know until we find something that is indisputably a bow that predates the oldest so far discovered - see -

The oldest intact bows ever found come from Denmark and are around 8,000 years old. They are named for the area in which they were dug up—Holmegaard—and are longbows made of elm. They measure around 170 centimeters (67 in). Since the bows were found in such good condition, it's been possible to recreate them—and people have. As an interesting side note, the earliest surviving arrows are actually from around 3,000 years earlier, and were found not too far from the Holmegaard bows. Unfortunately, the bows created with these arrows were made from pine and were less suited to surviving the intervening centuries.

Also -

We'll never know for sure, but we do know that history shows the earliest rock points that could have gone on the end of an arrow date to 71,000 years ago.:eek: x 10

The earliest proof of bows and arrows being used comes from cave paintings in Valltorta Gorge in Spain. Men are aiming bows at game, several of which with arrows protruding from them. They date to 20,000 BC. Fire was used to harden stone arrowheads sometime before 18,000 BC and feathers were being added around that time to aid flight. Flint points bound by sinew on split shafts appeared around 16,000 BC.

Elm Holmegaard bows from 9,000 BC were found intact in Denmark bogs and are now the earliest known bow artifacts held by modern man. The design of these ancient bows are replicated today in high performance bows.

In northern Germany, a scotch pine bow found near Stellmoor in the 1930s was thought to be 10,000 years old, but it was destroyed during World War II before carbon 14 dating could pinpoint the date.

In the following millennia, bows took over as the main means to launch projectiles on all continents except Australia.

- See more at: Outdoor Channel

tac

Yeah ... Even a caveman can do it! :D

Actually in a lot of ways I bet the Neanderthals knew a lot more about science , physics,math etc..
Than we give them credit for.
They might not have been able to express themselves using the proper terms for items or theory... But they just might have had a better handle on how that stuff worked.
Andy

I tried, briefly, going vegetarian when I was in my idealistic "I'll try anything stupid" twenties. I had to go back to eating meat because of the big drop off in strength and stamina: in short, I couldn't keep up with the big dogs anymore. Now I may "stink of dead meat," but at least now I can again effortlessly snap the pencil-thin vegan neck of anyone that says it to my face.

Around 40,000 years ago, Heero, a clever guy, was out fishing one day with a pole and piece of sinew dangling off the end.

Nothing was biting.

Idling around, as one does, he wondered what would happen if he tied the sinew to the other end as well, and, bending the pole, did so. He twanged it a couple of times, and then thought WOW!, I wonder if I can make a tune with it. Pluck, pluck, pluck etc. Hmm, I seem to have invented something without any kind of tune, maybe I'll call it the 'banjo'...and he did. Tiring quickly of making plunk plunk sounds, he had another thought. I wonder, he wondered, if 'scraping' a piece of stick across the string might get me better results...Finding a handy piece of straight wood, he futzed around with it, first wiping it across the 'string', as he now thought of it, and then, having no result, he stuck one end of it ON the string and pulled it back. That did nothing either, until he let it go, and to his utter 'mazement, that stick flew off his 'banjo' and hit his pal in the bubblegum. Hey! - shouted his pal, you some kind of wise guy? Take a 'bow', cretin! Well, he did, and that's how the 'bow', as it was originally called, was invented.

Pretty soon, with little else to do, he dropped the banjo idea for another time, and concentrated on the bow, and pretty soon found out that shooting pointy sticks at people in the bubblegum, could easily REALLY hurt them, and they'd get so annoyed they'd catch him and beat the ever-loving bubblegume out of him. Off in a sulk, he was wandering around the local woods when he came upon the local dinosaur [this is a story, right?], checking his eyelids for holes in a little glade. Hauling back on his 'bow', he let loose one of his pointy sticks at the dozing dino, To his amazement, having been stuck in the gizzard by a lucky shot, it just up and died.

The idea of a HUNTING 'bow' was born.

Needless to say, he publicised his discovery at the next cave whoop-up, getting some advance publicity, as 'twere. by doing a few sketches on the wall of his cave to show folks what might be possible [you can still see his 'stick-men' hunters today, if you go over to Lasceaux, France]. It caught on BIG-time, and soon everybody was using his 'bow' to hunt stuff with. It goes without saying that you only need to hunt stuff that is running away from you, or rather less fun, toward you, with teeth. Fruit and vegetables, on the other hand, just kinda lay there, doing nothing, and really didn't need much effort to catch, and the task of growing them and - even eating them - was given over to Dweeb the Nerd and his skinny pals and wimmin, too, while Heero and his 'bow'hunting pals developed enviable sets of muscles all over from the exercise they got chasing wild game, and improved their capacity for reasoning and intelligent decision-making - strategies for survival - because of having to outwit the clever game, which, more or less up to then, had been WAAAY cleverer than the nut and berry-eating humans, themselves pretty tasty for those animals with the necessary teeth that liked that kind of thing..

Hence the saying - prolly one of the oldest in Mankind - 'you don't need to shoot froot'. A lesson for all of us there, folks.

Those who till the soil will do it for those who have the bow.

tac

Ironically enough some of us are vegetarian, been trained by the US government on how to hurt and control people, and own a closet full of evil black guns with ammo.

I know people have a tendency to want to paint with broad strokes but it rarely explains anything other than xenophobia.

Would you rather I pulled the initial post? It seems to have given at least SOME folks here a bit of amusement, since it wasn't actually intended to be a discourse of personal ethics and/or life-style choice, rather a bit of a laff.

tac, retired senior Army officer [33 years full-time, no reserve service]

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR