JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, for once in my life I'm gonna be the adult.

You kids quit picking on Uban! If I have to stop this car, someone's gettin' a beating! Sit there and shut up! If you think we're going to McDonald's now, you've got another thing coming!

As if all hollow points a) expanded at the same velocity, and b) switched from non-expanding to expanding suddenly when the magical velocity threshold was crossed.

Virtually every .45 ACP shooter on this forum has fired 230 gr. JHP, and I'd guess that virtually all of us have personally witnessed the well-expanded results. In my case, from a 3 3/4" barrel, no less.

So let's not feed the troll, eh?

As if all hollow points a) expanded at the same velocity, and b) switched from non-expanding to expanding suddenly when the magical velocity threshold was crossed.

Virtually every .45 ACP shooter on this forum has fired 230 gr. JHP, and I'd guess that virtually all of us have personally witnessed the well-expanded results. In my case, from a 3 3/4" barrel, no less.

So let's not feed the troll, eh?

I just want to know where he's getting this information...if there's some test he did, some sight he saw or if he just woke up one morning and said "hey, I think I should start a thread going to see how many people I can convince that .45 JHP bullets are useless".

I mean, is he getting this from "The Box O' Truth"?

The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

Expansion is not exactly a precise phenomenon. The only sure way to get a bigger hole is to use a bigger bullet.

Also, expansion is not everything. Consider the rifle rounds. The .308 is smaller than the 9mm or .45, and yet is more likely to inflict greater damage.

Terminal ballistics is more that just expansion.

The Box O' Truth #8 - The Rags O' Truth - Page 2
QUOTE:
Then the .45 ACP JHP.
I used a Black Talon I had.
It went through the clothing and water jug, and two pine boards.
It was found laying on the bottom of the box, un-expanded, but crushed slightly sideways.

The Box O' Truth #8 - The Rags O' Truth - Page 1
QUOTE:
How about a 9mm JHP.
I used a 115 grain JHP out of a Beretta 92FS.
It went through the clothing, water, 3 pine boards, and somewhere beyond.
We were unable to recover the bullet.

Have you actually done any expansion tests or are you jsut going off what you find on the all knowing interweb?:s0112:

Exactly....:s0155:...
I spoke with a guy that took a 230 Grn just a plain .45 ACP Federal Classic FMJ in the chest wearing armor... He said it dropped him like a rock, It felt like a truck hit him and hurt like he!! and in no way could he defend himself, If it was not for the rest of his team he would be easy pickens for the bad guy and killed... Just the inertia affect of the bullet hitting the tissue and the hydraulic action of the fluids inside will incapacitate a person...

Make it Big,Make it Slow, Make it Felt... If the bullet exits the target did not feel all the energy...

You kids quit picking on Uban! If I have to stop this car, someone's gettin' a beating! Sit there and shut up! If you think we're going to McDonald's now, you've got another thing coming!

LOL...

Asking a question or for opinions is one thing, But making such a statement is quite another...

That was good though, You get a Big O'l +1....:s0155: for your statement...:D

He kinda asked for it. Bold statement without proof to back it up.

Even if the 230gr. didn't mushroom, it beats the heck out of a mushroomed 95gr. 380acp.

John

There are some who say otherwise.

Sanow and Marshall, in their controversial study of actual shootings, have placed the 60 grain .32 Silvertip on equal par with 230 grain .45 FMJ ball for stopping power. On the face of it, the Marshall/Sanow results seem ridiculous. A .45 caliber hole produced by a 230 grain bullet would appear to be far more effective in stopping power than a puny 60 grain hollow point that may or may not expand to .45 caliber.

Missing from the caliber equation is the jet stream turbulence produced by the configuration of the bullet. A .45 bullet that is streamlined to pass through air with the least resistance may not provide the best stopping power.

L.W. Seecamp Co. - Home of the Seecamp 32 and Seecamp 380 Pistols

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads