Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Why do we want to buy 230gr jhp 45 acp?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by uban77, Aug 22, 2010.

1. uban77

uban77 Maui, HI. Luck favors the prepared.

JHP bullets do not work under 1000 fps. Most 45 acp ammo go 820 fps. If you are using 230gr, you are better off using FMJ ammo.

2. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Then why does Remington make 230gr Golden Sabers, and then show them expanded as part of the selling feature?

I'ld have to say they look pretty mean, and if they expanded, they would seem to do more tissue damage than a FMJ.

3. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

I can't imagine where an idea would get started that jacketed hollowpoints won't expand at velocities under 1000 fps.

I do know the items necessary so that this idea can instantly be done away with: One pistol, one water jug, and one .45ACP 230grain factory hollowpoint cartridge.

4. freeagent

freeagent The Gorge, WA Member

Another great big thinker graces us with his esteemed wisdom - for free, even....

What a country!

5. Stumps

Stumps Ashford, WA Member

Wow, they seem to mushroom fine in the testing I have seen done.

6. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

This is just a little bit of information you can find on the internet.
    Self education is a great thing as you do not have to pay tuition.

Please notice that 45 ACP "Ball Ammo" is not even mentioned in wound ballistics.

.22 to 45 Colt:
    Selection of best ammunition for a defensive handgun

:)

7. birdzman

birdzman SC by the SEA Active Member

Even if the 230gr. didn't mushroom, it beats the heck out of a mushroomed 95gr. 380acp.

John

8. Silverbullet-2

Silverbullet-2 Issaquah Member

You should have seen the Federal Hydroshock I pulled from my Texas Hog last year. Did it expand, uuh ya, did it creat a devistating wound channel, uuh ya, hog went under 30 yards. .45ACP in a 5" Springfield Armory TRP. JPG

9. birdzman

birdzman SC by the SEA Active Member

I have seen many fully expanded 230gr HP slugs, I would think that maybe the first HPs were a different story.

John

10. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

ditto... way back when i had my Colt officers, i loaded it w/ black talons. shot into wet news paper they performed great. pretty sick looking "talons"

11. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

thanks for posting this. i will immediately cease use of gold dots in my 642 and contact speer about a refund.

12. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

The last time I used a 230 gr HP hydrashock; it expanded in a cougar, and that was out of a plastic pistol:); defensive shoot not hunting.

13. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

Even if they don't expand... it's 45 ACP! It leaves the barrel nearly a half inch wide! :D

230gr... :buttrock:

14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Hornady Critical Defense .45 WILL expand.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC Member
    SWWAC Member

15. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

:paranoid:

16. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

If I had a .45ACP, I would use the hardball 230 grain ammo. After all, it is already at the size to which you are trying to get .38 and .357 hollow points to expand. It worked for our military for 75 years and I believe most soldiers would rather have the .45 than the current 9mm.

17. uban77

uban77 Maui, HI. Luck favors the prepared.

JHP bullets do not work under 1000 fps. Most 45 acp ammo go 820 fps. If you are using 230gr, you are better off using FMJ ammo. If all goes right with a jhp you get one good hole. And for most brands you get under penetration. But if you hit a arm first, or hard bone, jhp bullets under preform big time. A hard cast lead bullet or FMJ bullet will tumble. Doing the same job as a jhp. For half the price. and lets not go into the feed problems with jhp's. If a FMJ bullet does over pentatrate there is little engery left. And you get two holes for the price of one.

18. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Wherever you get this mis-information I'm sure we would like a source.

fps (feet per second) is only a portion of what goes into penetration. A pellet can be shot at 1000fps but have less penetration than a .45 ACP. Why? Because of it's weight, or it's FEET PER POUNDS. Meaning the overall density of an object versus how fast it is going. I'm glad a .45 ACP travels slower than a 9mm- otherwise you increase the risk of collateral damage.

This is the probably the only thing I can agree with...manufacturers are so worried about overpenetration and high recoil they make rounds that seperate from the jacket or fragment when hit. Ballistic gel might be sufficiant for the FBI, but it is a poor substitute for a rib cage.

A .45 ACP FMJ's likelyhood to tumble is about as likely as a JHP to misfeed...so it's a low likelyhood.

That is more of a risk than I am willing to take. I would think that people that carry firearms would be more responsible than that.

19. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

This is just plain incorrect.

20. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

Have you actually done any expansion tests or are you jsut going off what you find on the all knowing interweb?:bluelaugh: