JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Then why does Remington make 230gr Golden Sabers, and then show them expanded as part of the selling feature?

I'ld have to say they look pretty mean, and if they expanded, they would seem to do more tissue damage than a FMJ.

I can't imagine where an idea would get started that jacketed hollowpoints won't expand at velocities under 1000 fps.

I do know the items necessary so that this idea can instantly be done away with: One pistol, one water jug, and one .45ACP 230grain factory hollowpoint cartridge.

You should have seen the Federal Hydroshock I pulled from my Texas Hog last year. Did it expand, uuh ya, did it creat a devistating wound channel, uuh ya, hog went under 30 yards. .45ACP in a 5" Springfield Armory TRP. JPG

ditto... way back when i had my Colt officers, i loaded it w/ black talons. shot into wet news paper they performed great. pretty sick looking "talons"

If I had a .45ACP, I would use the hardball 230 grain ammo. After all, it is already at the size to which you are trying to get .38 and .357 hollow points to expand. It worked for our military for 75 years and I believe most soldiers would rather have the .45 than the current 9mm.

Then why does Remington make 230gr Golden Sabers, and then show them expanded as part of the selling feature?

I'ld have to say they look pretty mean, and if they expanded, they would seem to do more tissue damage than a FMJ.
JHP bullets do not work under 1000 fps. Most 45 acp ammo go 820 fps. If you are using 230gr, you are better off using FMJ ammo. If all goes right with a jhp you get one good hole. And for most brands you get under penetration. But if you hit a arm first, or hard bone, jhp bullets under preform big time. A hard cast lead bullet or FMJ bullet will tumble. Doing the same job as a jhp. For half the price. and lets not go into the feed problems with jhp's. If a FMJ bullet does over pentatrate there is little engery left. And you get two holes for the price of one.

JHP bullets do not work under 1000 fps..

Wherever you get this mis-information I'm sure we would like a source.

Most 45 acp ammo go 820 fps. If you are using 230gr, you are better off using FMJ ammo.

fps (feet per second) is only a portion of what goes into penetration. A pellet can be shot at 1000fps but have less penetration than a .45 ACP. Why? Because of it's weight, or it's FEET PER POUNDS. Meaning the overall density of an object versus how fast it is going. I'm glad a .45 ACP travels slower than a 9mm- otherwise you increase the risk of collateral damage.

If all goes right with a jhp you get one good hole. And for most brands you get under penetration. But if you hit a arm first, or hard bone, jhp bullets under preform big time.

This is the probably the only thing I can agree with...manufacturers are so worried about overpenetration and high recoil they make rounds that seperate from the jacket or fragment when hit. Ballistic gel might be sufficiant for the FBI, but it is a poor substitute for a rib cage.

A hard cast lead bullet or FMJ bullet will tumble. Doing the same job as a jhp. For half the price. and lets not go into the feed problems with jhp's.

A .45 ACP FMJ's likelyhood to tumble is about as likely as a JHP to misfeed...so it's a low likelyhood.

If a FMJ bullet does over pentatrate there is little engery left. And you get two holes for the price of one

That is more of a risk than I am willing to take. I would think that people that carry firearms would be more responsible than that.

JHP bullets do not work under 1000 fps. Most 45 acp ammo go 820 fps. If you are using 230gr, you are better off using FMJ ammo. If all goes right with a jhp you get one good hole. And for most brands you get under penetration. But if you hit a arm first, or hard bone, jhp bullets under preform big time. A hard cast lead bullet or FMJ bullet will tumble. Doing the same job as a jhp. For half the price. and lets not go into the feed problems with jhp's. If a FMJ bullet does over pentatrate there is little engery left. And you get two holes for the price of one.

This is just plain incorrect.

Have you actually done any expansion tests or are you jsut going off what you find on the all knowing interweb?:s0112:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top